Lee PrecisionPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Collet Factory Crimp Die and 44-40

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, factories certainly can and do over crimp too. Just haven't found it necessary.......so far.......

I like Doug's modification......
    Absolutely...but even with the modifications, the modified crimp is even not necessary for the 44-40. Looks great for the 45 Colt and 44 Mag loads!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4958543

Boolit Grand Master

For me and my M92 (Chiappa) 44-40 it's a moot issue as I use RCBS dies which put a nice mild roll crimp on the cases.

Attachment 266000
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I love the lee collet crimp Factory crimp dies. I do go overboard with it some times. I’ve caught myself over crimping with it several times. I usually get out a magnifying glass to see if there is an indent in my case and adjust till I see a crimp mark.

Here’s a good example of how I use mine to fold over the lube groove. Gives me excellent accuracy this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    For me and my M92 (Chiappa) 44-40 it's a moot issue as I use RCBS dies which put a nice mild roll crimp on the cases.

Attachment 266000
    I sure need to get a 92'

I typically use a Roll crimp on a bullet with a roll crimp groove. I use the RCBS for that crimp.

Attachment 266003

Here is a 43-219M that was designed specifically for the LFCD

Attachment 266004
    Attachment 266005

Boolit Master
    Thank you Savvy Jack! I see the difference.

Rooster

Here is the modern 43-XXX series molds by Accurate. Anyone can submit a design and order just one mold. No group buy necessary.

John Kort played with the Lyman 427098 and machined out the middle driving band to allow more lube for black powder. He sent in the design (rather a modification) and came up with the 43-215C. I simply took the 43-215C and requested no crimp grove, re-add the middle driving band for smokeless lube and to flare that crimp area into the Ogive. This created the 43-214A with no crimp groove. This is were the Redding Profile crimp or a LFCD is needed.

The 43-219M was designed with a flat crimp for the LFCD rather than a standard roll crimp.

Accurate Molds - http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=14

44-40 Website Molds Page - https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...n-bullet-molds gives some explanations and who designed it.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-11-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12