ADvertise hereRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 3415 USD (57%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 Cast boolit shooter

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 03A3's and an older sporterized 03 (with the pederson cut receiver, too bad it was sporterized), and all like the the lyman 314299 over 38.5 grains imr4350.

Boolit Master
    In my sporterized 03A3 I shoot the Lee C312-160-R, gas checked and sized to .311". Liquid Alox lube. Loaded over 18.5 gr of 2400.

It is more accurate than I am.

Boolit Master
    Had an 03 and several A3's, and a A4 forgery over the years, all in full military configuration. All were excellent shooters, both with full power J bullet loads and cast. All are gone now except a Rem A3 with a C stock that is fed a steady diet of GC 311291 sized .310 over 16 grs of Blue Dot or 13 grs of Red Dot, either load shoots well for me and recoil is not an issue (these are @1600 fps loads). Noticed that whoever did your rifle replaced the stamped trigger guard/magazine with a milled one from an 03, which makes for a much nicer looking rifle. Enjoy, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't become your favorite CB shooter.

Nice looking sporter. Iíve been messing with VV Tin Star N32C and .311 193 gr gc Hunters Supply boolits. Use the same load in my Ď03s and Krags for BAMM [Bolt Action Military Match]. Minute of sass marshal is all I need.

Nice rifle Ken, I think you are going to enjoy it. I shoot the RCBS 30-165 SIL in mine with the aforementioned 18.5 gr of 2400. For plinking I use the LEE TL314-90 sized to .311 and loaded over 3.2 grains of Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    I'm a succer for 03's and 03-a3's too. Good catch!

Looking around at my ammo stash I found 60 rounds of reloads, all with 150 gr fmj J words and 4198 powder. Se we headed to the range yesterday for a few get acquainted shots.
    I was surprised at how little I felt the recoil, I had thought about pulling the bullets and reclaiming the powder. I think I may shoot them up, it will be good recoil practice when fired alongside milder loads.
    The rifle handles very well, stock fit is excellent and that helps the recoil, even with a hard rubber Pachmayr pad. I didn't shoot groups worth bragging about but I can excuse that as me and the tight barrel channel fit. I think opening the channel enough to free float the barrel will help a lot.

Overall, I like it a lot. I am glad you guys talked me into bringing it home.
    Antique Reloading Tool Collector, Historian and Writer
    Newsletter editor: Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association
    Archive manager, Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association
    email: herters@netins.net
    www.antiquereloadingtools.com

Boolit Master
    Rescued a bubba'd 1903A3 for the grand sum of 89.00 many years ago. Barrel was shall we say not the best due to corrosive ammo. Found a NOS barrel at a local gun show when gun shows routinely had such things for sale. Stuck the barreled action in my sears craftsman lathe and using a cut off tool cut a channel just in front of the receiver. Old stub came out with very little tugging with a pipe wrench. hand polished the complete action,and barrel which was some fun as it had the center support still there when it was made years ago. Gunsmith charged me $200 to d&t the action for iron sights, supply and install a Redfield banded front sight, redo the crown and blue the whole barreled action. Still have it and not for sale at any price. Frank

Boolit Master
    Nice find!

My sporterized mil rifles are both M1917 Enfields. I have only handled the 03’s but it is remarkable how much more trim they are.

Three44s
    Quit fretting about climate change. Itís how much stronger gravity is getting every day that is bothering me!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Ken. Never had an A3, but 30-06 and 311284 in a Brazilian mauser one of my favorite combos.

Think heavyweight for cast (180 - 210) and lightweight for jacketed (110 - 125/130). Little recoil and lots of shooting generally makes for good groups.
    Steve

Steve, those are my thoughts. I have a Model 700 222, but the 30-06 loaded light just has a better appeal for fun shooting at paper and plinking. And the '03 feels like as real rifle.
    I need to locate some powder and get a few light loads worked up.
    Antique Reloading Tool Collector, Historian and Writer
    Newsletter editor: Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association
    Archive manager, Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association
    email: herters@netins.net
    www.antiquereloadingtools.com

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    We load 1000's of rounds of .30-'06 gallery loads annually for use in club 03A3s for Appleseed classes. We use a Dillon machine set up to meter 8.5 grains of WST shotshell powder and we load Accurate 31-155D cast from backstop scrap, loaded as-cast and unsized, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, expanding the FL sized cases with an RCBS cast bullet neck expander at .312" to just a 1/8" depth to hand-start the bullet. Velocity is about 1080 fps. The rifles shoot to the sights at 100 yards using the reduced SR target and the 400 yard step on the elevator. Accuracy is better than CMP-issue Greek HXP ball ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-155D-D.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	265747
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12