Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 Cast boolit shooter

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 03A3's and an older sporterized 03 (with the pederson cut receiver, too bad it was sporterized), and all like the the lyman 314299 over 38.5 grains imr4350.

Banned
    In my sporterized 03A3 I shoot the Lee C312-160-R, gas checked and sized to .311". Liquid Alox lube. Loaded over 18.5 gr of 2400.

It is more accurate than I am.

Boolit Master
    Had an 03 and several A3's, and a A4 forgery over the years, all in full military configuration. All were excellent shooters, both with full power J bullet loads and cast. All are gone now except a Rem A3 with a C stock that is fed a steady diet of GC 311291 sized .310 over 16 grs of Blue Dot or 13 grs of Red Dot, either load shoots well for me and recoil is not an issue (these are @1600 fps loads). Noticed that whoever did your rifle replaced the stamped trigger guard/magazine with a milled one from an 03, which makes for a much nicer looking rifle. Enjoy, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't become your favorite CB shooter.

Nice looking sporter. I’ve been messing with VV Tin Star N32C and .311 193 gr gc Hunters Supply boolits. Use the same load in my ‘03s and Krags for BAMM [Bolt Action Military Match]. Minute of sass marshal is all I need.

Super Moderator

Nice rifle Ken, I think you are going to enjoy it. I shoot the RCBS 30-165 SIL in mine with the aforementioned 18.5 gr of 2400. For plinking I use the LEE TL314-90 sized to .311 and loaded over 3.2 grains of Bullseye.

Banned

I'm a succer for 03's and 03-a3's too. Good catch!

Banned
    Looking around at my ammo stash I found 60 rounds of reloads, all with 150 gr fmj J words and 4198 powder. Se we headed to the range yesterday for a few get acquainted shots.
    I was surprised at how little I felt the recoil, I had thought about pulling the bullets and reclaiming the powder. I think I may shoot them up, it will be good recoil practice when fired alongside milder loads.
    The rifle handles very well, stock fit is excellent and that helps the recoil, even with a hard rubber Pachmayr pad. I didn't shoot groups worth bragging about but I can excuse that as me and the tight barrel channel fit. I think opening the channel enough to free float the barrel will help a lot.

Overall, I like it a lot. I am glad you guys talked me into bringing it home.

Boolit Master
    Rescued a bubba'd 1903A3 for the grand sum of 89.00 many years ago. Barrel was shall we say not the best due to corrosive ammo. Found a NOS barrel at a local gun show when gun shows routinely had such things for sale. Stuck the barreled action in my sears craftsman lathe and using a cut off tool cut a channel just in front of the receiver. Old stub came out with very little tugging with a pipe wrench. hand polished the complete action,and barrel which was some fun as it had the center support still there when it was made years ago. Gunsmith charged me $200 to d&t the action for iron sights, supply and install a Redfield banded front sight, redo the crown and blue the whole barreled action. Still have it and not for sale at any price. Frank

Boolit Master
    Nice find!

My sporterized mil rifles are both M1917 Enfields. I have only handled the 03’s but it is remarkable how much more trim they are.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Ken. Never had an A3, but 30-06 and 311284 in a Brazilian mauser one of my favorite combos.

Think heavyweight for cast (180 - 210) and lightweight for jacketed (110 - 125/130). Little recoil and lots of shooting generally makes for good groups.
    Steve

Banned
    Steve, those are my thoughts. I have a Model 700 222, but the 30-06 loaded light just has a better appeal for fun shooting at paper and plinking. And the '03 feels like as real rifle.
    I need to locate some powder and get a few light loads worked up.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    We load 1000's of rounds of .30-'06 gallery loads annually for use in club 03A3s for Appleseed classes. We use a Dillon machine set up to meter 8.5 grains of WST shotshell powder and we load Accurate 31-155D cast from backstop scrap, loaded as-cast and unsized, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, expanding the FL sized cases with an RCBS cast bullet neck expander at .312" to just a 1/8" depth to hand-start the bullet. Velocity is about 1080 fps. The rifles shoot to the sights at 100 yards using the reduced SR target and the 400 yard step on the elevator. Accuracy is better than CMP-issue Greek HXP ball ammo.

Attachment 265747
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    A couple of my '03 cast bullet shooters. All of them thrive on NOE 309-169 (Elco spitzer) + 18 gr. 4759.

M1941 USMC Sniper clone, Unertl 8x

M1903 Style T Target, rebarreled 1936 by John Dubiel

M1903 NRA Sporter, bought from the family that used it from new to chase bears on Kodiak Island.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    There is some mighty nice rifles posted here. And a lot of good load information, that is what I am looking for. Actual user experience with boolits and powder.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I was lucky enough to inherit my dad's Sedgley Springfield in 30-06. Thing's pretty much immaculate and has both the peep site and the scope which it came with. I shoot a 115 grain flat nose .311 cast boolet over around six grains of Bullseye or BE86 with it which is a blast out to 50 yds. Also use the same load in a Remington BDL in 30-06. Looks like you got a good shooter there have fun.

Boolit Master
    Remington Model 30 express & VZ24 Mauser in 06Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8070383.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	265931
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned
    Thanks Herb, those are nice rifles. Cabela's had a nice Model 30 last winter but it was too pricey at the time. But it is what spurred me into this rifle and shooting project.

Sporterized Mausers, what's not to love about them.

Banned
    when buying anything from cabellas, first go to raise.com, they sell gift certificate for % off face value. Currently the cabellas ones are 9% off ($100 gift card for $90) I use these whenever I find a deal there. I've seen them over 14% off. Helps pay for shipping

Boolit Master
    I paid $299 out the door for the Model 30............
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12