WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 Cast boolit shooter

Banned

30-06 Cast boolit shooter

I had to run over to Owatonna for groceries this afternoon, which means I also have to swing by Cabela's to look for bargains. They have a very nice O3-A3 that has been professionally sporterized with receiver sights, no scope base holes have been drilled.
    Now, I would not mind having a 30-06, but the thought of shooting factory equivalent loads does not appeal at all. So that leaves cast boolits or maybe 100-125 grain J words. Then I got to thinking why? I have a 7.5 Swiss that is nearly the same thing. But it is not an '06 and not a 1903. And the price is very good.

I want it and I don't need it.

Ken

Banned
    Ken, if stuff goes sideways, it will be a lot easier to find 06 ammo than swiss.

Banned

"Need" doesn't enter the equation really.

.30-06 and .30-30 are two that there always seems to be room for one more for me. That sounds like a nice rifle, and the'06 is a good cast shooter in my experience.

Boolit Master

I load 120 grain accura outdoors plated and 150 grain .309 coated cast for my 30.06 with red dot. Lots of fun. Accurate and it don't beat you up.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Ever watch Mathew Broderick and Marlon Brando in 'The Freshman'?

Brando played a Godfather sort of character, and whenever Broderick would say something like, "That's illegal"!

Brando would get all pained and twisted up, and say, "Illegal is such an ugly word. I try not to use it".

That's how I am when someone mentions "Need", or worse, "You don't need,,,,,,,,"..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

For cast, I have yet to find a better shooter than the old 311284. Ten shots at 100 yards.
    Attachment 265505

If it's still there tomorrow.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would be at their door when they open in the morning if I were in your shoes. That is one rifle I would dearly love to own. Problem is they have always been just a little out of my financial reach. That probably sounds familiar to many here too. I personally would opt for a full military rifle rather than one that has been sporterized but as you describe it it might be tempting....
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

03A3's are good boolit shooters.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I use light loads and heavy boolits in my Krags and ‘03s. With the military sights that they have on them and 69 year old eyes I don’t shoot for groups, I only shoot to ring steel.

Banned
    I have several hundred 30 caliber bullets from my friends estate, all 155 grain and lighter, down to 30 carbine. This '06 might be a fun way to use them up.
    Besides I like the looks of the '03's.

I had thought someone may try to offer a contradicting thought about getting it, but you guys are all of the same mind - "Buy more guns".

Love it!

Only several hundred? No where near enough.

Banned
    Thanks to everyone's encouragement I made a deal and brought it home. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the used name brand rifles in the rack, and a lot better in my not so humble opinion.
    The receiver is a Remington, it's been rebarreled, good. The stock looks like it might be a Herter's, more research needed. Bluing and metal work is first rate, good. The stock finish is old and could use some freshening, but closer inspection shows a lot of sanding marks around the but. Looks like a total refinish is required, that OK as it will improve the overall appearance. Trigger is hunting rifle acceptable. Williams receiver sight, good. No holes drilled for scope bases, good Overall condition is 95%, discounting the sanding marks. A true safe queen that is appealing to look at whit real wood and blued steel.

Next is researching light loads and powder choices. Currently I am leaning towards Trail Boss and 4895.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9675.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	265555

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9678.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	265556

Boolit Master

Good job on getting the 03A3. Glad we could be of help to you. Ha. That is a very nice looking rifle. Someone said above they just like the looks of an 03A3. I agree totally.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

My 'cast boolit" Springfield has a 4 groove barrel and likes the Lyman 311284

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned
    There's a good reason the 06 and the O3A3 have been around soo long

I got some nice light loads using BE and 2400 using 155 - 165 grn boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Not an 'A3 but a DHT '03 I built into a pseudo M1903A3 National Match Type II. I put a new (in wrapper and cosmoline) RA 4 groove barrel on it. Has a Lyman long slide receiver sight with 1/4 moa and Lyman aperture front sight. It really likes the NOE 310-165-FN 30 XCB loaded over 20 gr 2400 with a dacron filler. At 100 yards I shot the 2 sighters making sight adjustments then shot 10 for "record".

Attachment 265578

Attachment 265577
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Pressman- way to go! That's a good looking rifle. Is it a 2 groove or 4 groove ? My brother had a 2 groove that shot excellently with jacketed bullets, we never tried cast in it. If the white line spacers have little black zigzags, it's a Herters stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You might try a 32 pistol boolit, sized to fit an unsized neck, with a light charge of Clays or BE or similar. The idea being that the boolit is held concentric to the bore and is virtually in contact with the throat so enters the bore concentrically. I've done this with paper patch and accuracy was very good. (The patch does not come off so there is no issue there). You might even try paper patching a short pistol boolit with the same objective (more effort though).
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-01-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Gave a friend his first reloading lesson last night specifically because of an 03-A3. I've known him for 50 years, I dragged him into the shooting sports as a retirement hobby.

He bought his 03-A3 after shooting mine with 311284's over 14 grains of Blue Dot.

Then he shot his new (to him) rifle with ball ammo.

Didn't take him long to decide it was time to learn how to duplicate my loads.

He's got my copy of Grendel's ABC's of reloading to re-enforce lesson one.

He's learning to reload because of an 03-A3, just think of the advantage you have, you already know how to reload.

The rifle is calling your name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast