Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Pathfinder 8 shot on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Charter Pathfinder 8 shot on the way

Went to the fun store today to see if the vultures had left anything. To my surprise, they had a little Charter Arms Pathfinder .22 snubnose with 8 round cylinder in stock. I've been wanting a small .22 for awhile so I put it in layaway jail. The Charter website doesn't show an 8 shot version. An internet search reveals that Charter seems to have made these sporadically over the years but not as an officially catlaogued offering. Anyhow, looking forward to getting it out!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I've had both 1970's Pathfinders and newer (2008) Dual Cylinder Pathfinders (in addition to .44 BullDogs), and can tell you what Charter's Prexy told me:

"While we do our very best to made the best gun possible, we also realize that they are made by human beings and can have an issue. We will stand behind out guns, regardless - and are looking to turn around a warranty repair within 20 days."

I can also say that, after two returns under warranty for the same issue (hard extraction of .22WRM), the prexy replaced my .22Mag-only 4" Target Pathfinder, AND threw in a fitted extra cylinder in .22LR (Charters 1st Dual Cylinder Pathfinder - offered to the public a few months later) "for my trouble".

(I've had zero issues with the replacement since I got it in 2008)

BTW - when I called CA's Customer Service on a Saturday AM to inquire how my warranty repair was going - the prexy ( Nick Ecker ) answered the phone ! !

Last edited by pietro; 04-15-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I've had a few Charters over the years. Those I purchased new were just fine, the used ones were worse for wear and required some fixes. They don't seem to be worse than any other gun in the same price range and surprisingly accurate. I was hoping Ruger would release a .22 LCR with exposed hammer, but they never did so Charter gets the nod for this one. Really, my one and only gripe about Charter is the lack of grip options. The rubber stocks most of them come with are friggin' huge and there isn't much else available.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

What's a prexy?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I think he means "president", since Nick Ecker holds that position at Charter Arms.

Got paid for a side job yesterday and was able to bail out the Pathfinder early. I took it out to my little range when I got home with the ammo I had in my toolbox, W-W Power Points and Remington Thunderbolts. The Power Points shot great, as well as I can do with any other handgun. The Thunderbolts were problematic, one or two rounds would always bind up the cylinder. From what I can tell, this revolver has pretty minimal barrel to cylinder gap and endshake. I 'spose the rims on the Thunderjams are a bit too thick. Hopefully I can try it out again tonight with other ammo.

Took the little Pathfinder out again today at 10 yards. It shoots as good as any other revolver I've ever tried. I tend to pull handgun groups to the left. I find the empty cases bulge where they contact the extractor. They eject easily and don't rupture or anything. Is this typical for double action .22 revolvers? Ive never had one before, just single actions and autos.

Pics are not working for me.

Boolit Master
    Wasn't aware of the 8 shot version of the CA Pathfinder, until I read this thread. Promptly, Checked GB and only found one for Buy it Now. Passed on it because, due to the virus, they weren't shipping it for a least thirty days. Would have been a nice companion piece to my Bulldog.

Ended up with the Ruger LCP II, instead. LGS had one in stock at $275 and even being a southpaw, I could easily disengage the right handed manual safety, with a slight thumb shift. Was really considering the LCR but couldn't warrant the $500 price tag for one chambered in 22 LR. I do own one in 357 Magnum.

Winelover

Strange, they seemed to work fine last night. I'll upload them again when I get to my desk computer.

An LCP .22 is on my must have list for sure. The 8 shot Pathfinders are more rare so I grabbed one.

Called Charter this morning, they are sending a UPS box and label for it. Looking good so far!

Tried to upload pics with my work computer, still not working.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 04-20-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Possibly too large file size, try getting them under 1 mb. Sounds like an interesting revolver, I like little wheelguns!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

FYI my H&R 999 does not bulge the shells. It's the only double action 22 I own.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I've had a few Charters over the years. Those I purchased new were just fine, the used ones were worse for wear and required some fixes. They don't seem to be worse than any other gun in the same price range and surprisingly accurate. I was hoping Ruger would release a .22 LCR with exposed hammer, but they never did so Charter gets the nod for this one. Really, my one and only gripe about Charter is the lack of grip options. The rubber stocks most of them come with are friggin' huge and there isn't much else available.
    Don't know if they have what you need but I got some really nice cherry stocks for my 6-shot Pathfinder
    https://www.altamontco.com
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I have some older Sile rubber grips with silver medallions on it now.

The UPS box and label hasn't showed up yet so I sent Charter a message about it. I thought they were just going to have the UPS driver drop it off but they are actually sending a box and label from their factory in Connecticut. Seems like a redundant way to do it, but as long as the gun gets fixed I'm happy.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been looking at a few Bulldogs. How does those that own one like them?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I had a Police Undercover for awhile, which is a 6 shot .38 built on the Bulldog frame. Excellent gun, of course I sold it like a big dummy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast