Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336c

Boolit Man

Marlin 336c

I'm going to casting some bullets for my Marlin 336c remlin.
    Any suggestions and will the lee bullets molds works out for this rifle?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nelsonholsters; 07-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    346c? is that a new model? what caliber?

Boolit Man
    Typo 336c

Boolit Grand Master

Caliber matters. .30 or .35?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Caliber matters. .30 or .35?
    30 30

Welcome to the forum. Lots of experience here. On my last Microgroove Marlin 30-30 I used both the Lee 150 and 170 flat nose cast of COWW and sized to .311”. I tried some sized to .309” but the accuracy wasn’t as good.

Boolit Grand Master

Let us know how experienced and equipped you are. Are you able to size your boolits? How were you intending to lube them? Yes, the Lee molds have a great reputation, although I have not used them.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Man
    I have never loaded rifle rounds at all yet only pistol rounds.
    I do plan to powder coat the bullets and will be casting my own bullets.
    Do have a good friend who is a member here and does know what he is doing and I'm sure will help.
    Right now all I have for the 3030 is a lee 2 die set for reloading, I don't have a bullet cast , sizer or anything else yet for the 3030.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are loading for the 30-30 only and powder coating I would recommend the Lee push through sizer system. You don't need lube except a very little (even water) for the Lee sizer. Typically for the 30-30 velocity and pressure are low so you don't even need gas checks, especially with powder coat. You should consider investing either the NOE system for expansion of the case mouth or a Lyman M die - 30Cal short. The NOE system uses the Lee expansion die and replaces the internals and I think he makes his own die as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Man
    I thank you for the info, I'm going to get up with my friend when he has time to help me figure out what I need.

Banned
    Well that was a waste of electrons.
    Last edited by sghart3578; 08-01-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Man
    I'm hoping to get by with my gas checks but I guess I'll see.

Fixed the title for you. Cheers
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Man
    Thank you very much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Well that was a waste of electrons.
    Not really wasted - but they were greatly inconvenienced.

Nelsonholsters - I have a pair of 336C's in 30-30 caliber and have been loading 0.311" diameter 173 gr. FN GC (180 gr. w/GC and wax lube) Lyman #311-041 over IMR 4227 (Lyman 4th Ed. Manual range 17 gr. min to 22 gr. max). I have not completed accurizing these two. One is nearly "on" at 100 yards and the other is lagging a little behind with no leading in either - ymmv.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-03-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Last edited by Nelsonholsters; 08-03-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Master

For clarification, and NOT putting words in sghart's mouth, he made a comment, posted it, thought better of the answer, and edited it out of existence himself. In that effort, he suggested he "wasted" those electrons. It was NOT a directed comment at you or anyone on the board.

I suspect that any 30-30 Lee, Lyman, RCBS, LBT, MiHec, etc., mold can be accurized in your rifle with the right boolit fit, velocity, care, and attention to detail in the reloading of components. I found the 30-30 to be the EASIEST and most FORGIVING to tame.

I started my meat gathering, hunting, reloading, and shooting "life" (30+ year hobby) with this caliber, a Winchester Model 94, jacketed bullets, Winchester 748 powder, and a simple and inexpensive Lee Loader. I "pounded IN" the primers in front of the fireplace, occasionally igniting one, to the dismay of family members present, but with no ill effect.

After learning to cast, idk which mold was the first anymore (probably 45 ACP), I shifted my jacketed world to cast for the 30-30. I am still tinkering.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    For clarification, and NOT putting words in sghart's mouth, he made a comment, posted it, thought better of the answer, and edited it out of existence himself. In that effort, he suggested he "wasted" those electrons. It was NOT a directed comment at you or anyone on the board.

I suspect that any 30-30 Lee, Lyman, RCBS, LBT, MiHec, etc., mold can be accurized in your rifle with the right boolit fit, velocity, care, and attention to detail in the reloading of components. I found the 30-30 to be the EASIEST and most FORGIVING to tame.

I started my meat gathering, hunting, reloading, and shooting "life" (30+ year hobby) with this caliber, a Winchester Model 94, jacketed bullets, Winchester 748 powder, and a simple and inexpensive Lee Loader. I "pounded IN" the primers in front of the fireplace, occasionally igniting one, to the dismay of family members present, but with no ill effect.

After learning to cast, idk which mold was the first anymore (probably 45 ACP), I shifted my jacketed world to cast for the 30-30. I am still tinkering.
    Thank you, I hadn't seen it and wasn't sure there.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post

I am hoping to be able to use a lee die so that's good.
    I am having trouble with my lee die in 9mm, it's dropping them at .358 but several are .362.

No flashing so I'm sure the die was closed and the bullets wasn't frosted so I'm kind of at a loss.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you confusing 'die' with 'mold'? A die is used to size boolits or to size and reload shells (different dies). A die screws into your reloading press. A mold is used to cast boolits. If you are having problems with the diameter of your 9mm boolits that is fixed by a size die, which will uniform them all to the same size. Holding your Lee six cavity mold handles closed with the sprue plate handle tight forces open the mold slightly, causing oversize boolits.

Knowing proper nomenclature matters.
    Wayne the Shrink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast