WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Land of Nod and the origin of the different Races

Boolit Buddy

The Land of Nod and the origin of the different Races

So, from Genesis in the Bible, God created the heavens and the earth, created Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel were their sons, Cain killed Abel, then God "cursed" Cain and Cain went on to the Land of Nod where he married and had children of his own.

OK, so, apparently there were other people on earth at that time that the Bible does not address. No other mention of the Land of Nod is mentioned in the Bible.

So, where did these other people come from? The Bible does not say and we are left to imagine that for ourselves.

Given that the ages of Cain and Abel, or the ages of Adam and Eve are not mentioned at this point we could "assume" that perhaps Adam and Eve had other children, who may have also had children and they developed a civilization in the Land of Nod, where Cain found his wife.
    We do know from the Bible that Adam lived 800-900 years I believe, so that may be the answer....but we really do not know.

The name Adam can be translated into the word man, or mankind.

I suspect that Genesis was worded for the people of that time so that there would be some understanding of how the earth and mankind came to be and how God was the Creator.

I also suspect that all of the races (Adam - mankind) were created at the same time at different places all over the world.
    Dark skinned people with "nappy" hair (African), light skinned with blonde hair, blue eyes in the Scandanavian countries, slant eyed people with "yellow" skin (Asia), bold facial bones, "red skin" and straight black hair (American Indian), etc., etc., hardly seem the result of procreation of Adam and Eve to me, or from Noah's family for that matter.

I have read where some think that the races "happened" at the time of the Tower of Babel incident, when the different languages came to be, but again, we do not know and it is only speculative because The Bible does not say.

The Land of Nod and the origin of the different Races.
    What's your thoughts or opinions on the above?
    Last edited by Rizzo; 07-30-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Simple

More then one seed ship landed on the planet.

God was a being who created mankind in his likeness. And then stuck around for a while.

This falls into the aliens seeded the earth.

The bible is rife with UFO sightings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As people moved outward, they had to evolve to their different regions. That's why African people are dark skinned. Their bodies create more melanin because they were in the sun more. As people moved, their skin and hair changed. Because they adapted to where they were.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

That's odd... I think my bible says that the different races descended from the children of Noah, and is pretty specific about which children were the fathers of which races. But-- you have to read that far to find it.

Everyone who wasn't on the ark drowned. So whatever Cain did was of no consequence.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's odd... I think my bible says that the different races descended from the children of Noah, and is pretty specific about which children were the fathers of which races. But-- you have to read that far to find it.

Everyone who wasn't on the ark drowned. So whatever Cain did was of no consequence.
    Which makes the different races an even more perplexing question. Especially for those who believe in a young earth...like my pastor does.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Which makes the different races an even more perplexing question. Especially for those who believe in a young earth...like my pastor does.
    Perplexing? The Bible is a spiritual book, it's not a science or history of the world book so there's a lot of things it doesn't address. Do you think man's questions of the origins of races and young vs. old earth are vital spiritual issues?

Banned

Go back and read about the children of Noah, Shem, Ham and Japheth. After the Ark landed and they were able to disembark, they went to different lands.

Boolit Master

If you take this story as being a historical fact:

It was early in the history of man's creation. Abel had no children at this point. Cain and Abel were most likely the same age as the Bible suggests they were twins. Therefore, Cain probably had no children at this point either.

Cain's complaint that other people would kill him looked to the future when the earth would be more populated and he had become notorious for his crime. Some might want justice.

Placing a name on where Cain went (i.e., The Land of Nod) could have been for the original audience of Genesis who knew where that place was or had heard of it (the area was antediluvian, of course). The word "Nod" means to wander. So this area could have been named for Cain's wanderings. On the other hand, it might not have been a physical location at all, just a playful term (e.g., think of someone in La La Land).

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    That Is where Extra-terrestializm Shines! Those folks were white ( supposedly) And they were the the progenitors of the colored races! I think not!
    There were more forces involved in civilization & some not good beings!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    That Is where Extra-terrestializm Shines! Those folks were white ( supposedly) And they were the the progenitors of the colored races! I think not!
    There were more forces involved in civilization & some not good beings!
    Where in the world did you ever get the idea that the Bible presents early humans as white?

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Is a " Young Earth" the teaching that mankind has only been around for 6k years, or that the planet is only 6k years old?

For myself, I feel that the two aren't necessarily incompatible, as "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth...." and that doesn't say how far back the beginning was. Creation occurred on successive "days", but we're not told how long a day is. The Bible does say that "A day to God is like a thousand years." So, the planet could well have existed for many millions of years before the creation of man, and that fact seems to be borne out by modern science such as carbon dating and fossils.

That does not preclude the possibility that at some point God introduced man into the Earth's ecosystem, and it may well have been 6k years ago. But, but, but, but...what about the earlier species such as the Neanderthal Man, the Piltdown Man, and other species that walked erect? Where are they? Extinct, if they ever existed, and some of them proven to be clever frauds. But, let's suppose that some of them did exist. They are not "Us", not "Homo Sapiens", which is what the Biblical history is about. As for the emergence of different races, the different genes had to be present in Noah's children. How can that be? (1) Anything is possible with God. If he created us, he can modify us. (2) Obviously there was a certain amount of interbreeding going on, as there were so few people remaining to repopulate the Earth. Physical traits will intensify with interbreeding, with certain characteristics that are dominant being repeated until they are the norm. Witness the racial differences, the difference in shape of the eyes and skin color.

It troubles me greatly that so many questions are being asked on the "Deep Theological Discussion" and "Chapel" forums that come from completely out in left field. I certainly don't mind discussing my beliefs with those who are sincere and hold a somewhat different view, but flat out ignorant statements that are made to start a discussion/argument bother me. The questions are, is the O.P. really that ignorant, or actually a troll trying to start religious conflict? Kind of like inserting ANTIFA into a "Peaceful Demonstration." Instead of seeking knowledge, some may be trying to start conflict among those who should be brothers. It is insightful that several of these O.P.s don't post to other areas of the forum. Since the "Left" is not religiously inclined, one has to wonder if these folks have decided to attack our beliefs, culture, and heritage from that angle. I guess I'm suspicious by nature, but, dverna, I'd read up on casting bullets before I asked you a serious question about bullet molds---get my point?

I know that we have atheists, agnostics, animists, and probably devil worshipers on the forum. Not my concern--do as you will. But I believe in the Holy Bible and its teachings. They aren't too complicated if you read the verses slowly and then say to yourself, "Now exactly what does that mean?" There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything, isn't there? Thousands of examples spring to mind. Plant your seeds too deep, they won't come up. Burner is too hot your food will burn. Don't maintain the oil level in your car's engine and it will burn up. The Bible says that there is one way to salvation, and that is through Christ, and that is the correct and only way.

Those that repeatedly assert that the way is through Buddha ,Confucius, Islam, Tao, any or all, all of equal value, are in grave error. How do they know? Been there and done that? On the other hand, the Bible had made numerous prophesies that have come true, and archeologists continue to unearth proof of events recorded in the scriptures. Truly, we seem to be a bit into "the end times." Just as I can not say how long a Genesis day is, I can not predict when the Lord will return, but when he does there will be a lot of people with egg on their faces. Beware of those who answer your beliefs with a question (time after time), as they are trying to shake your faith. Their self-perceived intellectual arrogance blinds them to the truth, and they want company.
    I do not answer them, as it is fruitless. I know who they are, and who sent them.

Best wishes.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

I would look to the story of the Tower of Babble. when the tower got to a certain height the workers languages changed to confuse and slow stop progress and completion.

Boolit Master
    Excellent post DG. You express my own thoughts on disingenuous web grumble rousers much better than I can.

I try to not respond to their baiting, and usually succeed, but sometimes things are posted that are so dumm I can't stop myself. Almost invariably it's a transparent effort intended to provide the rouser a podium for pontificating of his own presumed intelectual magnificence. It would be better if we (and I mean "I") would avoid helping them .... but I'm weak and sometimes it's just too much nonsense to resist exposing it!

I think that the religious trolls are not after you and I, well grounded in the faith. Their goal is to cast doubt into the minds of those new to the faith or those considering conversion. I've read the "bait" original post to many threads and just turned away, but like you have said, "sometimes it's just too much nonsense to resist exposing it."

One line of attack seems to be that Christ is only one answer, that many other answers exist. Kind of like the Democrats to whom solutions to economic and social problems don't really have a definite, defined answer. No, no, it's not Him...look over here....it's him and him and him! The Bible warns against false prophets and those who come in His name, but are deceivers. The sad condition of our present society has a lot to do with the work done by deceivers, turning people away from God. No morals or ethics in homes, schools, or government.

Boolit Buddy
    It troubles me greatly that so many questions are being asked on the "Deep Theological Discussion" and "Chapel" forums that come from completely out in left field. I certainly don't mind discussing my beliefs with those who are sincere and hold a somewhat different view, but flat out ignorant statements that are made to start a discussion/argument bother me.
    Let me explain something to your ignorant, insulting self.
    You post your "Wall of Text" that is a a bunch of crying from you about how you do not like this Thread topic and others and you go on to insult the OP (me) and other members who have started threads.
    If you do not like the Thread Topic, do not participate. It is pretty simple.

I happen to enjoy reading and replying to threads here in this Forum.
    As a member here I start thread topics on things that I am personally interested in because either I do not understand the issue or feel it would be a good topic for discussion.
    Some are provocative topics that inspire some thought and hopefully a reply.
    They help keep this Forum alive with conversation and an exchange of different views.

I haven't seen any Threads started by you in this Forum to help keep things alive here. Yet you complain about other's posts.
    The questions are, is the O.P. really that ignorant, or actually a troll trying to start religious conflict?
    Trolling???
    I guess you could say that starting a thread to get a conversation started is trolling, but I wouldn't.

Instead of seeking knowledge, some may be trying to start conflict among those who should be brothers. It is insightful that several of these O.P.s don't post to other areas of the forum. Since the "Left" is not religiously inclined, one has to wonder if these folks have decided to attack our beliefs, culture, and heritage from that angle.
    Wow, you're out there DG. Pretty paranoid I would say.
    Regarding posting in other areas, I have seen in the other forums posts from a lot of members that participate here. Many have started Threads (including myself) and others are active in those threads so I would say you are wrong there.

I know that we have atheists, agnostics, animists, and probably devil worshipers on the forum. Not my concern--do as you will.
    Uh-huh, yet it really bothers you when folks here express their views and beliefs that are different from you and you post your insults about them.

But I believe in the Holy Bible and its teachings. They aren't too complicated if you read the verses slowly and then say to yourself, "Now exactly what does that mean?"
    And that brings us to one of the Thread Topics....The Land of Nod.
    Something that you did not address in your crying Wall of Text.
    Nod has always been a mystery to me despite how "slowly" and how many times I've read it.
    So I brought it to this Forum to get other views.
    Since you seem to understand these things, why not contribute your view/opinion on the issue?

Those that repeatedly assert that the way is through Buddha ,Confucius, Islam, Tao, any or all, all of equal value, are in grave error. How do they know?
    Well, how do you know they are wrong? Because from reading the Bible you conclude that?
    Wouldn't your statement also be what the "others" would say about Christianity?
    My Book is better than your book! My Book has better stories than your Book!
    Ignorance!

Their self-perceived intellectual arrogance blinds them to the truth, and they want company.
    I do not answer them, as it is fruitless. I know who they are, and who sent them.
    Yet, here you are doing exactly that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Excellent post DG. You express my own thoughts on disingenuous web grumble rousers much better than I can.

I try to not respond to their baiting, and usually succeed, but sometimes things are posted that are so dumm I can't stop myself. Almost invariably it's a transparent effort intended to provide the rouser a podium for pontificating of his own presumed intelectual magnificence. It would be better if we (and I mean "I") would avoid helping them .... but I'm weak and sometimes it's just too much nonsense to resist exposing it!
    That's funny to me.
    I try to avoid posting replies to you for similar reasons.
    You and others here seem to just want to have Deep Theological Discussions amongst those of "you" (plural) that think the same. Wouldn't that be nice?
    You could reply to each other with just Chapter:Verse numbers and it would be wonderful.
    I think it would be boring.

Yet, there are some here that have different beliefs and participate in the conversations and they are
    "disingenuous web grumble rousers" according to you.
    Just another insulting comment from you as usual.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that the religious trolls are not after you and I, well grounded in the faith. Their goal is to cast doubt into the minds of those new to the faith or those considering conversion. I've read the "bait" original post to many threads and just turned away, but like you have said, "sometimes it's just too much nonsense to resist exposing it."

One line of attack seems to be that Christ is only one answer, that many other answers exist. Kind of like the Democrats to whom solutions to economic and social problems don't really have a definite, defined answer. No, no, it's not Him...look over here....it's him and him and him! The Bible warns against false prophets and those who come in His name, but are deceivers. The sad condition of our present society has a lot to do with the work done by deceivers, turning people away from God. No morals or ethics in homes, schools, or government.
    Well, you have taken this Thread way off topic with your ignorant ramblings and crying.
    Start your own thread and quit ******** in mine.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Where in the world did you ever get the idea that the Bible presents early humans as white?
    From Hollywood of course!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems some questions are deemed unworthy by those who have reached a more advanced stage in their spiritual journey. Questioning is encouraged in the Bible. If you are unable or unwilling to address questions, please try to be kinder to those who are struggling along the path. Being farther along the path does not make you superior and God will not appreciate arrogance from anyone....not even a believer.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

A true Shepard guides the flock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast