Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Mouse Loads for a 9mm Revolver

Boolit Mold

Mouse Loads for a 9mm Revolver

I have recently aquired a shiny new S&W 929 9mm Revolver specifically to shoot steel plates, and I am wanting a very low recoil load (in this particular league, PF is not a factor).

I have a good supply of 115 Blue Boolits that I would like to use. I have heard of various loads using W231, Titegroup, and Unique. If you have a good recommendation for a "Mouse Load," I would appreciate your sharing it with me. Obviously the ability to function in a semi-auto is not a conern. Thanks

Boolit Master

My go to powder for 9mm target loads is Red Dot 3.8 gr under a 124 gr bullet or boolit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good luck with 4.3 Power Pistol and a 115 JHP. Light recoil and accurate to boot. I had to go down to a 12 lb. spring to function reliably, but that's not an issue for wheelguns.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    2.7 grains of Bullseye with 147-grain FN, payload and velocity approximates a .38 wadcutter or .38 S&W factory LRN and will also cycle most autos.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Try from 2.5 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye with your 115 gr. boolits , should be just the ticket .

Outpost75's (post #4) 2.7 grs Bullseye w/ 147 gr. FN should also be a winner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Any starting load with those powders should work out OK. W231 would probably be my choice. Unique can be dirty with light loads and titegroup can start to run hot if putting a bunch of bullets down range.

What size are the throats? Mine is at .357 and .357 Sized lead shoots great. My favorite load is 3.6 grains N340 with a 160 WFN bullet. They shoot good out to 100 yards and the recoil is very moderate.

Banned

i use w231 for 9mm ... hogdon's data ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	265491

For me with 125 gr truncated Cone Red Dot from 3 to 4 worked very well.
    I tried going below 3 and got sooty cases and it would once in a while not rack the slide back far enough to grab the next round and chamber it.

I have run 3.5 to 4.5 in a single shot stubb barrel for a handi rifle. Found no advantage for the larger pouder load. So pretty much load everything to the 3.5 level.
    Works in all my 9mm's be they single shot, carbine, or pistol.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

With the 929, you can use some very light(for 9mm) loads since you don't need to worry about functioning a slide. Mine likes light loads but I seldom load them since I don't want to accidental load them in a semi auto pistol.
    They can be a lot of fun and are quite accurate in my 929. I have loaded a bit below starting charges with good results.
    I used some load data for 38 short colt since the case is nearly the same length.
    The only issue you might have is sooting up the chambers since the brass is designed for higher pressures.

Recoil can be reduced with less bullet weight. Even with 5 grs of Bullseye the Lee 105 SWC has light recoil from my 9mm pistols. It should be a cream puff in that revolver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A few grains of titegroup will give you low recoil. I use a lot of it in my 9's. It leaves the case mouths a little smokey but works well otherwise.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Recoil can be reduced with less bullet weight. Even with 5 grs of Bullseye the Lee 105 SWC has light recoil from my 9mm pistols. It should be a cream puff in that revolver.

Great Idea !
    The Lee 105 gr. SWC cast boolit should be just the ticket for light 9mm revolver loads .
    I have an old WWII Walther P38 that just loves that boolit sized .357 and the loads don't batter the old war horse .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The fun part about the 929 is you can use any boolit profile you want. With no feed ramp to contend with and a long chamber, you can load lots of things that would not work for a semi auto pistol or even another revolver.
    You can seat the boolits out to the place the bases are just inside the case if you want to. As long as the OAL does not exceed the length of the cylinder, you are good. Just make sure the crimp will hold them during recoil.
    You can get some really strange looking cartridges that way.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

That's a great idea. I just ordered the Lee 95 gr boolit mold and will be trying it out soon.