WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help request: 45acp 200 gr SWC load for 1911 full size

Boolit Buddy

Help request: 45acp 200 gr SWC load for 1911 full size

I'd like to find a good starting point, this is my first casting session ever. I have a few weeks of reloading under my belt for 45 acp but only the most basic load.

So here are my components:

LEE 90379 200gn 45ACP SWC 6 cav mold
    Probably 8BHN lead (about 3% tin alloy I believe)
    Full size 1911 (non ramped barrel)

Powders:
    HS-6
    IMR RED
    BULLSEYE

Lube/PC:
    No PC at the moment. Just alox.

Gas checks:
    I dont have any.

Brass:
    small and large primer, random headstamp range pickups (I have both primer types)

I'm just looking for a load that is fast enough to be worth shooting but also reliably cycles the action and has no feeding issues. (So I suppose OAL will play a role here both for feeding and pressure)

thanks for any help, hopefully I have the right ingredients because I'd like to start cooking something up today

Boolit Master
    Others have had trouble getting SWC's to feed but if yours does, 4.5 gr of Bullseye ought to do what you want.

Boolit Buddy
    to prove I am making an effort, the Alliant site says:

Powder: Bullseye
    Bullet: 200gr speer LSWC
    Min OAL: 1.19
    Bbl length: 5
    Charge weight: 4.6gn
    Fps: 807

Seems like the OAL would be the main factor here to get right for feeding and pressure?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Others have had trouble getting SWC's to feed but if yours does, 4.5 gr of Bullseye ought to do what you want.
    okay thanks!! what about OAL?

Boolit Grand Master

Any 1911 worth anything will feed that Lee SWC. My Sig P220 will cycle that bullet down to about 700 fps, below that I'd need a lighter recoil spring. HS6 is a good choice for full power stuff, not target ammo. No idea on IMR Red, likely just like Red Dot. Bullseye though, is a 45 acp classic. I've seen good results from 3.5 to 5 grains, most in that 4 to 4.6 grain range.

Banned
    OAL is what works best in your gun, each gun is a little different (seat boolits in dummy cases and see what the longest boolit that chambers and cycles is)

BE start at 4gr and work up

Boolit Master
    Plunk test will tell you COAL.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Any 1911 worth anything will feed that Lee SWC. My Sig P220 will cycle that bullet down to about 700 fps, below that I'd need a lighter recoil spring. HS6 is a good choice for full power stuff, not target ammo. No idea on IMR Red, likely just like Red Dot. Bullseye though, is a 45 acp classic. I've seen good results from 3.5 to 5 grains, most in that 4 to 4.6 grain range.
    excellent info thank you very much

Boolit Grand Master

OAL, you may have to play with. Most like 1.250". Some have to go shorter due to a non existent throat in the barrel. I've gone as long as 1.265".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    OAL is what works best in your gun, each gun is a little different (seat boolits in dummy cases and see what the longest boolit that chambers and cycles is)

BE start at 4gr and work up
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Plunk test will tell you COAL.

thanks!!!! at the very least I can do the feeding tests today

Boolit Master
    Many can tell you what works well in their firearm with their cast bullet but you need to find out what you need for YOUR firearm with YOUR bullet. It is not unusual to have minor changes in production of any of the items used so here is one old and proven method to find out what your components need. And remember that when you change from bullet lube to powder coat the OAL can change again.

Cleaning rod/dowel method of finding cartridge OAL

This is what I use for my guns to determine the max OAL and this eliminates any question of the crimp, incorrect case prep, or other operator induced error.

This method works well on rifles and single shot pistols as well as Semi-autos. You can use a flat tipped cleaning rod, or flat tipped dowel rod. You will also need a sharp pointed pencil, a short dowel and a bullet sized but clean, of the type you are going to load.

For Rifles
    Make sure the chamber is empty. Close the bolt, and be sure the firing pin is retracted into the bolt. Insert the dowel or cleaning rod and hold it against the face of the bolt. Mark the rod at the face of the muzzle. Remove rod, open bolt and remove it from the action. Insert the bullet into the breech and hold it snug into the rifling. While in that position insert the dowel or rod again, and with it firm against the nose of the bullet, mark the rod at the face of the muzzle.

The distance between the center of those two marks is the max cartridge OAL for that rifle, with that bullet sized to that diameter.

For Semi-autos
    Remove the barrel from the slide and make sure it is clean and free of leading or other debris in the barrel and chamber. The dowel or cleaning rod needs to be longer than the barrel. Hold the barrel, muzzle up, and place the barrel hood on a flat surface like a table top. Insert the dowel or rod from the muzzle and mark the rod exactly flush with the muzzle. Remove the rod and insert the bullet you intend to use into the chamber and lightly press and hold it in place with the short dowel. Place the assy muzzle up on the flat surface. Insert the rod/dowel into the muzzle so it rests on the nose of the bullet and again mark the rod exactly flush with the muzzle. Remove and set the barrel aside. The distance on the center of the two lines is the cartridge OAL. Seat a dummy round to this length, or slightly shorter and begin to apply the taper crimp until the dummy passes the plunk test. This is the optimum cartridge OAL length for this bullet in this gun.

You may need to adjust the seater to shorten the OAL if this does not feed from the magazine, but generally this will be a great fit. Remember, if you seat and crimp in one step, you might force a slight ridge ahead of the case mouth and that will screw up your seating.
    Dusty

Boolit Master
    You may be asking the wrong guy. I use 45 ACP's in either a T/C Contender or a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. It is my understanding that some 45 ACP semi's catch the edge of the SWC's occasionally causing a failure to feed. I once had a 9mm Semi. that sometimes had that issue but once I switched to round nose or RF's, the problem disappeared. Arthritis in my wrists makes racking a slide a struggle now so I prefer wheels guns now. If your seater is set to factory spec's, OAL should be right to get started.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a little "look out for" ... my experience with the 90379 tumble lube didn't go well .
    My 45 acp , AMT Hardballer has standard old school shallow rifling and the tumble lube mould dropped boolits that were not fat enough or the multiple grooves just didn't hold the rifling well enough .
    For whatever reason I was getting poor accuracy and some holes were oblong. I don't powder coat so had no way to make the larger . I bought a NOE .453 SWC conventional lube groove mould and that solved all the accuracy problems . Just wanted you to know about the problem .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Hate to tell you, but I never had any luck with the short nosed SWC that you're attempting to use. You'd be better served with any of the H&G 68 style molds. I'm using that boolit cast 50/50 Pb/ww, sized .452, NRA lube, loaded with 4.0 grains of Bullseye, taper crimped to .468/.470, 1.250 OAL. Nice mild load, accurate, and runs through my Colt, Kimber, & GI 1911's. Give it a try, good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, I thought this was the H&G #68 clone. In that case, my above advice may not apply. I was speaking for the Lee 452-200-SWC. The tumble lube version may be a whole other ball game.

Boolit Master
    I tried to use a Lee 452-200-SWC and found the tip of the nose was smaller than a H&G 68. This caused feeding problems in my guns that run H&G 68 with out any problems, so I got rid of the Lee 452-200-SWC.
    So if you have problems get some H&G 68 bullets to see if they work better.

Boolit Master
    The Lee tl-452-200 shoots good in some of my guns and not others , he will just have to try it and see what works.
    I do have to load it to a short OAL , and wind up with just a tiny bit of the front driving band proud of the case to get it to plunk test in all my guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The Lee tl-452-200 shoots good in some of my guns and not others , he will just have to try it and see what works.
    I do have to load it to a short OAL , and wind up with just a tiny bit of the front driving band proud of the case to get it to plunk test in all my guns.
    I can't speak to the Lee TL-452-200 but with the H& #68 clone, the advice about the "tiny bit of the front driving band proud of the case" is spot on. The highly technical measurement is about the width of a fingernail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I can't speak to the Lee TL-452-200 but with the H& #68 clone, the advice about the "tiny bit of the front driving band proud of the case" is spot on. The highly technical measurement is about the width of a fingernail.
    Hey , us guys with limited vocabulary's cain't keep up with all these fancy new terms

Boolit Master

Another good SWC is Lyman 452460 (?). It has a shorter and more blunt nose and may not work in your gun but works great in mine and so does the Lee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast