Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying a cat...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I went to the GoFundMe page and was shocked. $3000 to save a kitten. WOW.
    We were not rich, so cannot fathom spending that to save a kitten. I know people at the other end of the spectrum. One guy killed a litter of kittens to get rid of them...and I could never do that. I have had to put down two old dogs and was lucky I never had to face the decision to spend thousands to save them when they were pups.
    That kitty was lucky to find you.
    Somehow in life we've gotten to the point where we are relatively debt free. The fact that I gave my granddaughter a Schleich cat like this.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ing-cat-figure
    Was a large factor. She calls me "John Dad" and now her John Dad has a mitten kitty just like the one that she has on her shelf. Well, minus one leg.

Boolit Master

Not a cat person. BUT grandson "tamed" a half feral white cat with one blue eye and one green eye , so I let it hang out . Named it Snowball, then found out it was male, so now he's Snowballs . Picked a fight with a dog, lost . Wife said put him down , I said he'd heal up like all the "barn cats" useta, but she was adamant about "stopping his suffering" (he was still eating fine, if slowly) so off to the vet for $524 because I wasn't gonna shoot my grandboy's cat.
    I'll chip in on yours too - can't disappoint the grandkids !

Banned

My tuxedo buddy keeping me company when I was sick one weekend and lying around watching a WalkAttachment 265673ing Dead marathon. I think he's my favorite cat of all the ones I've known in my life, he's 13 now and has the sweetest personality. When my wife worked for the city, one of the grounds keepers found him, he was maybe six weeks old, eye infections, ear mites, flea infested and the guy asked somebody to call the shelter. What he didn't know was we had to put down our tuxedo we picked out about the time we got married the day his eyes opened and had him for 17 years almost to the day one year before this little guy. Needless to say, there was no way my wife was gonna let them take this little guy to the shelter, a few hours later, he was flea free, had eye and ear drops and was getting constant cuddles. I hope he lives to be 24 years old or older.
    Attachment 265673

Boolit Master
    I'm usually too busy to visit the "Our Town" section here. Yet,, today,, something made me visit here & I find this thread.

First off,,, I want to say "KUDOS" for being a caring, compassionate animal lover. Especially when it comes to cats. I can echo many of the above comments about the rewards you shall reap from this. Mittens has a good home now,, and it'll be worth it. BTW; You aren't too far from me as I'm over the mountain across Sam's Gap just SE of Trashville,,,, eerr,,, Asheville.

We too are cat people here. We normally adopt strays,, found on my property,, and have had as many as 6,, but currently stand at 4. All are spayed, and live indoors 24/7. We had one live over 17 years that was born in my wife's lap, and died in her arms in bed. He never knew the dangers or trials of living outdoors. I have owned cats all my life. We don't actively seek them out,, but instead,, when God decides there is a cat in need of a good home,, he sends one our way. Over the years,, I've had 2 Tuxedos,, and both were great companions.
    Reading the trials of your new companion,, made me cry. I'm not ashamed to say it either. Yet,, I also smiled & even laughed at how loving she appears to be. She KNOWS you are a good person to love & trust. God bless you!

And on a bit of a different note,, I want to say I have truly enjoyed reading all the good posts here,, WITHOUT seeing any of them discussing how "bad" cats are. No bad posts,, no cat bashing,,, and just genuine good comments. SOME people do not care for cats at all,,, which is their right. But seeing the good folks here all support this thread, and your compassion,, makes me PROUD to be a member here.
    There isn't anything wrong with dogs,, or other pets,, but usually when a thread about cats appear on other places,, we get some negative posts about cats.

KUDOS to the members here!

Boolit Master
    When I lived with my grandparents we had a grey and white cat named Frenchy that followed my grandfather around like a dog. He had a large impact on my attitude towards cats though I am really a dog person.
    Because I live in town I choose not to have a dog since he would not be able to run free in the country side like they can on a farm.
    I have been owned by cats since 1988. I am on my 4th cat now. Cat number 1 was a tough guy who was partly crippled on 2 legs on the same side of his body. Cat number 2 was given to my daughter and I took him over for 13 years. Cat number 3 died of cancer after I owned him for 8 years. I am on my 3rd gray Russian blue cat now. Considering my age etc it will be a contest to see who out lives the other.
    EDG

Boolit Master

How is Mittens doing today?
    Last edited by clum553946; 08-04-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for asking. She is doing great. Always hungry. We have a small bed that she loves and we use it to calms her down before returning her to a cage that keeps her a bit more under control. I put it in my lap and she jumps in for the ritualistic "petting of the cat". she is such a sweet little animal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200804_190812711.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	265732

On other fronts...
    I walked into our office after putting Mittens to bed for the evening and out 2 cats, who are sisters, held an intervention.
    They said, verbatim... "John, we have to talk..."
    They never sit this close to each other without food being involved.

Name:	IMG_20200804_151855906.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	265733

Banned

The older ones will come around to the kitten, but it'll take a while.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I took in an all black female stray and named her Baby. She regularly caught mice. When I would wake up and roll over, there would be Baby sitting next to my bed at attention, staring intently at me. Between her paws would be a dead mouse. I would scratch her ears and say good Baby! Then she would carry off breakfast. She made sure I knew she earned her keep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the update on Mittens! Makes me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Tuxedo kitties are very loving and outgoing. They need to be with their human(she will pick one of you) and will have to be in whatever room you are. Oreo is that way, my 18 year old Tuxedo Kitty. He hangs out on the chair behind me in the office all day...

I had a TuxedoCat that adopted me His name was Oreo, he suffered a Spinal Stroke and it broke my heart when I had to have him put down.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    They never sit this close to each other without food being involved.
    Sounds like a lot of family members of mine. The further they are from me, the better we get along.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    I had a TuxedoCat that adopted me His name was Oreo, he suffered a Spinal Stroke and it broke my heart when I had to have him put down.
    Oreo is having issues, fat tumors all over his body... He has no pain form it but it is a matter of time before it kills him. He has had a couple seizures from it. So I spoil him!

Boolit Master
    Well... I introduced the girls, Libby and Lilly Bug, to Mittens this evening.Mittens has been given the run of our exercise room in the afternoons. she stays in the cage all morning but after the lunch time lovin we let her stretch her legs.
    so, this evening after her night feeding, I picked up Lilly Big and took her back to see Mittens in the room.
    OMFG... Massive hissing fit... Growling... Feline Drama...
    I then took Libby back to show her the room. Hissing. Gnashing of teeth. Wailing... Etc... Fat cat drama. Libby is a tubby tabby.

sow, my wife and I got Mittens to sit on her bed and took her to the living room where she sat nicely and we watched an episode of Farscape. Mittens seemed to be watching too. It was all peaceful and calm with the kitty getting rubbing until Lilly Bug showed up... More hissing and cat drama....

Why can't animals use logic... SMH....

Banned

When my wife and I were young, we had three cats. Brought a new baby into the family, cats were moderately curious about him, but quickly became indifferent. Got an old Bassett hound, cats went into the arched back hissing mode, dog looked and said "whatever", cats realized he was low threat and went back to normal.

Found a kitten outside in the snow and had to keep it for the weekend until the vet shelter opened back up. You'd have thought the world ended for thos cats, they NEVER calmed down about it for those three days or so. Seems to be harder for them to accept a new cat than just about anything else, but they will eventually come around. Some cats like each other better than others do, but I think they will at least tolerate her soon enough.

Boolit Master
    Every time we have gotten a new cat,, we use a large cage to acclimate it to the house, AND to the other occupants. It's one of those large dog cages. I have a place for a litter box, food, water & a ledge I built for them to get up on. Some cats adapt quicker & easier,, others take a few more days. But,, once they get the idea there is a new occupant,, and the "pecking order" is figured out,,, things settle down. BUT,, occasionally, we have had a few that "tolerate" each other, as long as each one has plenty of space, and love is given to all. Currently,, we have 2 that do fine if not too close together. If both get crowded into a small space,, (other than feeding times,) or try to occupy the same spot,, there is a little tift.
    Use patience, love & lots of petting all around.

Boolit Master
    They'll all get loving. What will break the impasse is when we watch TV as the girls are always up there with us. They'll have to decide tolerate or go without.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Site swapping (have new kitty in bedroom for a few hours then put her back in her area and let the other cats in the bedroom, etc.) will help as cats will become more accustomed to each others' scent, if you can feed them on opposite sides of a child gate that helps too (start them getting used to sight of new kitty without them being too close) and there usually will be hisspits etc. as kitten is rambunctious and pesters the older cats, just let them work it out once they get somewhat used to each other.

Very glad you're taking good care of your new owner

Rescue cats are often "the best" cats, because they know you saved their bacon; I just wish they didn't have to go through such trauma!

Francine approves:

Name:	V1yzYSI.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	265924

As does Linda:

Name:	lEAJAMP.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	265925

Boolit Master
    Great cat pictures and stories.

Some friends came over last night and brought their little dog, Miso. Miso is content to sit, let the world pass by and take little notice. He is very much like a stuffed animal. Libby, our big tabby, came right up to him and sniffed him. It was like WTH??? It's a dog. You should be throwing a hissing fit. Nope. She was fine with him.

Banned

It's been my experience that most cats and dogs do Ok with each other. The cats become pretty indifferent to the dog, especially if it's not an active dog.

Our Shih Tzu we had for years was middle aged when we got a kitten that grew to be a big cat and when he was about half grown, he was close in size to the dog and would lie in wait and pounce on him. The dog never initiated it, but it was game on when the cat did and I think they both enjoyed the little wrestling matches. Neither ever bit the other or really tried to hurt as near as I could tell.

Other than one sweet female cat who used to face nuzzle a sweet old basset hound we had, I have never had cats and dogs that really liked each other and sought one another's company.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast