Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying a cat...

Boolit Master
    I will PM my PayPal account information to anyone who desires it.

Boolit Master
    Kindly PM the info to me... is this the GoFundMe account?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

My Mom would call Mittens a " Mathematical Kitty " ... she puts down three and carries one ..."

Don't worry mathematical kittens adapt and get along just fine ... in a few months neither you nor she will even notice the math .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Update... Mittens came home from the UTCVM this morning. She looks so frail with an empty hip. But as soon as she got out of the cat carrier, she decided that the pettings must commence and not end... She is weak and sore but has such a bright spirit. Give her a few weeks and she'll be hard to stop.

@Poygan, there is a GoFundMe link on page 2 I believe. I can PM my PayPal address too if needed.

Someone mentioned the longevity of pets. We have 1 pet that will likely outlive both me and my wife. My wife loves turtles so back in 2005, I picker up a yellow belly slider turtle named Terri/Terry. He was about the size of a half dollar back then but is fully grown now. We have a pond built into our atrium for him with a ledge to look out and sun himself. A couple of years ago, there was snow on the ground and we took a picture of him in the window looking out at the snow

Boolit Master
    So the cat had it's leg amputated?
    Or did it get a pin/plate put in to reinforce the fractured area?

Boolit Master
    When they did a neurological assessment, they found nor pain response or other reflexes in her leg so they amputated it. When thy did the surgery, they found that one of bites had tore through the sciatic nerve. There was nothing that could be done. The young veterinarian that brought her out to us yesterday explained that if there had been anything that could have been done, they'd have done it.
    As I have said before, we just wanted to get her the best care that money can buy.

We had to put up a 4' barrier in her little alcove as she was scaling anything else in an effort to get out to be with us.

Good on you bakerjw. I would do, (and have done) the same. She pays me back by being the best mouser in the family. She's so proud of herself when she gets one that she'll bring it to wherever I am, yowling her triumph for all to hear. Shes been a hard luck kitty. Years before she lost her leg, she lost her tail. No idea what happened in either case, but as long as she's so dedicated to our welfare we'll be dedicated to hers.

A tip from my vet, to reduce chances for infection: Replace the kitty litter with shredded paper until her wound heals. An even better option IMHO is the pine pellets they sell for horse bedding. Tractor Supply is where I get them.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Buying a cat...

My 22 year old cat walked under my feet while carrying in all the bags of groceries and got stepped on. Heard a snap. Off to the vet. Very kind hearted vet said put him down. I offered to put her down instead. She directed me to an orthopedic vet. He asked how old & I told him. Said he was the oldest cat he’d ever seen. Did blood work and said also the healthiest! He pinned his leg. $1,750. Just before the stitches came out Moonie was dragging his back leg again. In we go. The bone fractured just below the knee. Vet said I can’t fix that. Now what?? I said 3/4 of a cat is better than no cat. So.… off with the leg . Now we’re up to $3,500! Moonie lasted 2 more years. Didn’t sloppy him down much, he just couldn’t jump in my lap anymore. We got 22 years out of that stray we took in. Still paying off the bill, but I would do it again! Loved that cat something fierce. He buried a vet & helped me keep my sanity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 08-02-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Cats do quite well on three. Friend out west has a feral cat on the place that has survived an attack by a mountain lion. Right on her porch, no less - she assumed cat was dead, but lo-and-behold a month+ later it's back. One front leg dragging, lot of scar tissue, but moving smartly, able to hunt voles, which are abundant in her enclosed yard. Not a cat person, but she's leaving kibble out for it, and worrying now how it'll manage the winter, since it gets mighty cold in that part of Idaho. We may have a convert! We're both 75, but never too late!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Very heart warming stories.
    Thanks to all for sharing.

Boolit Man
    God bless you, bakerjw. Contribution sent via GoFundMe.

Boolit Master
    I suspect that the original owner was not supposed to have pets in the apartments. My sister in law wants to go beat her half to death. I tell her to let it go.
    FWIW, I hate the use of the term owner when referring to our pets. We are responsible for them, but do not own them. They are family members.

Just an uplifting update to start the week.
    Mittens is proving very difficult to keep under control. She does not like her kitty prison and wants to see what is going on outside of the walls. I ended up putting a 4'x6' sheet of 1.5" pink Styrofoam board along one side to keep her in a small area with her litter box, water, food, bed and towels.
    This morning, she was crying for more food and I went and turned on the dim light in the room. With one leg, that little bugger jumped and got her front legs over the top of the 4' wall and clambered over and onto the floor to come get to us. She now has full run of the room and remains quiet in her bed if left undisturbed.
    She is going to be a holy terror once she is turned loose in the house and on our other cats.

Banned

"She is going to be a holy terror once she is turned loose in the house and on our other cats."

Sounds like a typical kitten. Glad she is recovering well, seems she is a lucky kitty to have found you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good for you!!

My Daughter has a "tuxedo" cat also. He also likes to hunt and bring his trophies home and bring them in the house to show everyone. That cat puts up with things from my Granddaughter that I would not have thought a cat would do. They are best buds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I went to the GoFundMe page and was shocked. $3000 to save a kitten. WOW.

We were not rich, so cannot fathom spending that to save a kitten. I know people at the other end of the spectrum. One guy killed a litter of kittens to get rid of them...and I could never do that. I have had to put down two old dogs and was lucky I never had to face the decision to spend thousands to save them when they were pups.

That kitty was lucky to find you.
    Don Verna

DOGS have owners. Cats have STAFF.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    You know it's really over when you're allergic to cats and she goes out and gets one.
    Buy a bottle of benadryl and carry on, or pack your stuff and git, depending on what you think your chances are. Personally, I won't live in a house without a harmless necessary cat. Or more. My 90lb dog identifies as a cat. I keep telling him he's a dog, that the non-retractile claws are a dead giveaway. He says he's a cheetah.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Good for you!!

My Daughter has a "tuxedo" cat also. He also likes to hunt and bring his trophies home and bring them in the house to show everyone. That cat puts up with things from my Granddaughter that I would not have thought a cat would do. They are best buds.
    Two tuxedo cats and a dog, who claims he's a cat, too. And one orange dreamcicle cat. Four guys, three girls, and the guys are outnumbered.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86323225-2DD5-4E65-8913-A330D41AD68B.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	265664
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus

Tuxedo kitties are very loving and outgoing. They need to be with their human(she will pick one of you) and will have to be in whatever room you are. Oreo is that way, my 18 year old Tuxedo Kitty. He hangs out on the chair behind me in the office all day...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast