Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chances of GC coming off inside case?

Boolit Bub

Chances of GC coming off inside case?

I have often wondered what are the chances of a GC coming off inside the cartridge?

I'm shooting a subsonic GC bullet unchecked in .270win. with good results. But I've also got a .300winmag that I thought about trying with cast but the WM case has a really short neck and a 180-200gr bullet would extend pretty far into the case.

CS

Banned

I can't adress your calibers, but I shoot gas checked cast bullets in both of my Mosin Nagants and my 30-06 Springfield at full published data with no problems. I also shoot 30-30, 7.62X39 and 22-250 and have never had a gas check come off in a case. Never had any leading in any of my rifles.
    Hope this helps.

I've never had an issue with gas checks coming off as they're pressed into the case, since the neck is only applying more pressure to the check on the way in.

I have to seat the Lee 312-160-2R pretty deep to chamber reliably in a few calibers, and I've only had them come off when disassembling a round with a impact puller. The grip from the neck will pull them off.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

The old style Lyman checks and the simple homemade ones could come off if the base of the bullet was seated into the body of the case. But the Hornady crimp on checks will not. They crimp on, you can't get them off with any ease with pliers. Provided the gas check shank is sized correctly of course.

Don't think you need GC. I was shooting 185gr GC sans GC, just PCd ( not sub sonic) in BO the other day, accuracy was good at 50 yds. Yup, base way below the neck - but you do have a larger case body. Years ago a Canuk was shooting 06 IIRC with GC not crimped and had one stay in the barrel. IMHO came off in the case but blown into the barrel.
    Whatever!

years ago, i screwed up my powder measure and had to pull some 44 magnum bullets 430-310-RF with gas checks

i used an inertia hammer and the roll crimp would grab the gas check and retain it in the brass

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

I was always instructed that when shooting cast gas checked boolits in bottle neck cases to make sure to not seat the boolit so deep that the gas check was below the neck body juncture . The neck held the check in place and there was NO danger of the check falling off the base and lying on top of the powder .
    It made sense at the time so that is how I seat all my boolits (even the base of J-word's I don't seat so deep they encroach / hang down , into the case body) .
    That rule still makes sense ... so I still seat them that way .
    When you pull a loaded round , loaded with cast gas checked boolits , I have had the gas check stay in the neck but they are easily removed with needle nose pliers ...just don't shove the check down into the case body... you not getting that one out.

If I were going to deep seat a gas checked boolit I would epoxy the check in place with a good two-part adhesive like J.B. Weld ...then I believe the check would stay put until fired ... they still may come off if you pull the boolit ... but as long as they are fired they should be OK !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-31-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    years ago, i screwed up my powder measure and had to pull some 44 magnum bullets 430-310-RF with gas checks

i used an inertia hammer and the roll crimp would grab the gas check and retain it in the brass
    Next time try seating the bullets just a little deeper to break the crimp, then pull them ...it might help! If not turn the GC sideways enough so you can grab it with small needle nose pliers ... sounds like I've done this ...yeah , several times .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I was always instructed that when shooting cast gas checked boolits in bottle neck cases to make sure to not seat the boolit so deep that the gas check was below the neck body juncture . The neck held the check in place and there was NO danger of the check falling off the base and lying on top of the powder .
    It made sense at the time so that is how I seat all my boolits (even the base of J-word's I don't seat so deep they encroach / hang down , into the case body) .
    That rule still makes sense ... so I still seat them that way .
    When you pull a loaded round , loaded with cast gas checked boolits , I have had the gas check stay in the neck but they are easily removed with needle nose pliers ...just don't shove the check down into the case body... you not getting that one out.

If I were going to deep seat a gas checked boolit I would epoxy the check in place with a good two-part adhesive like J.B. Weld ...then I believe the check would stay put until fired ... they still may come off if you pull the boolit ... but as long as they are fired they should be OK !
    Gary
    I don't think it's possible to load a bullet larger that 120gr in a .300 winmag without the base extending into the body of the case. It has a really short case neck. I had another thought after starting this thread. So, as posted above, I believe the crimped-on checks will stay in place so I don't think that will be a problem. However, with the short neck of the .300winmag, if load a 180-220gr bullet like it is made for not only will the check be below the neck but so will the lube grooves. I use SPG because I used to load BP cartridges and I still have a good supply of it. It works good with smokeless and cleans up easier than wax lube but, it has a really low melting point. Which means if I load a bunch ahead of time and they lay around very long, the lube will get in the powder. So, the only successful way I see to load cast in the winmag is with powder coated bullets, unless someone else has done it successfully.

CS

Quote Originally Posted by carolina sorillo View Post
    I don't think it's possible to load a bullet larger that 120gr in a .300 winmag without the base extending into the body of the case. It has a really short case neck. I had another thought after starting this thread. So, as posted above, I believe the crimped-on checks will stay in place so I don't think that will be a problem. However, with the short neck of the .300winmag, if load a 180-220gr bullet like it is made for not only will the check be below the neck but so will the lube grooves. I use SPG because I used to load BP cartridges and I still have a good supply of it. It works good with smokeless and cleans up easier than wax lube but, it has a really low melting point. Which means if I load a bunch ahead of time and they lay around very long, the lube will get in the powder. So, the only successful way I see to load cast in the winmag is with powder coated bullets, unless someone else has done it successfully.

CS
    Don't get the false impression that by powder coating you will not need a gas check unless you plan on keeping it under a certain velocity.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a lot of gas checked cast and have never had a problem unless I tried to remove a bullet with a kinetic puller. I will never seat any bullet bellow the neck regardless of caliber,this is the main reason I do not own a 300WM but if it was built on a long action and had a long throat I would consider it. I believe with all the pressure behind a gas check it would be unlikely one would come off before the projectile left the barrel, but seat below the neck and all bets are off in my view. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I have not had a problem shooting gas checked bullets in the 300 Savage, 308 or others when gas check is below neck. I have always used the crimp-on gas checks for these applications and sized after seating gas check. There are some who claim loss of accuracy, noticeable at 200 yards and beyond blamed on lead heating/melting above the gas check, I have not encountered this, with my 300 Savage giving 3 to 3.5 inch groups at 200 yards with a 311332 seated so gas check is below cas neck. Maybe larger charges of slower powders would do this, I am using 4227 or 5744. There are few bullets that DO NOT extend past the neck of the 300 Savage or 300 Win Mag. I shoot both and find accuracy can be excellent with either.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I believe with all the pressure behind a gas check it would be unlikely one would come off before the projectile left the barrel, but seat below the neck and all bets are off in my view. Regards Stephen
    That's kind of what I was thinking and then the powder and lube co-mingling isn't ideal either. I may just try to forget about cast in the 300WM. My load using Sierra's 165gr jhp shoots 1/2" @100yds and I don't think I can improve on that anyway.

Thanks y'all,
    CS

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Next time try seating the bullets just a little deeper to break the crimp, then pull them ...it might help! If not turn the GC sideways enough so you can grab it with small needle nose pliers ... sounds like I've done this ...yeah , several times .
    Gary
    That's exactly what I did LOL

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

How about a drop of super glue in the check, hand seat the boolit in the check, then run through the luber? Seems like that would keep the check on.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    One of my very first experiments with gas checked rifle bullets I was trying to dial in the seating depth. The bullet was long and the drive bands engaged the rifling. When extracted the bullet pulled free leaving the gas check firmly locked in the case. Other than that I've recovered completely smashed bullets that you could only tell *were* bullets was because the gas check was still attached.

Because I believe in the belt and suspenders approach I crimp the GC to the cast bullet and then powder coat. Those ain't going nowhere (these are the magic words when attaching anything to anything else BTW)

ges

i shoot a 44mag rifle with 265&300 gn cast i have fired several thousand rds with this setup , i make gas checks with small 11mm circles of leather that i c cut out with a leather punch ,these are stuck to the base of the bullet when i coat the pill with liquid alox , i stand the bullet on wax paper until alox is dry then load and shoot. my understanding of G C was they only needed to prevent gas cutting while the bullet is traveling down the barrel and who cares what happens to them once they have cleared the barrel . I have never had one stay in the barrel in about 30 yrs of doing this way , also accuracy does not seem to be affected, i read a article by Terry weiland and he said he could not recall ever recovering a gas check still on the fired bullet . my butt could be out a foot on this but to this date it has worked for me ..2manyguns
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Boolit Master
    I would be more concerned with a gas check coming off and lodging in the the barrel , than coming off in the case with slow loads.
    I don't use gas checks on slow loads so don't know if this is a valid concern or not , hopefully someone with experience doing this will chime in.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    sorillo, when you put a crimp on the heel of the bullet, if you are skeptical the GC is not crimped solid, just run your finger down the bullet to feel the case edge is equal to the bullet base diameter ... identifies the GC is properly crimped
    Regards
    John

I think a GC could come off in the case in a revolver if you didn't have a good crimp. I say this having pulled bullets with a kinetic puller and having the GC stay stuck in the case.
    Former cylindersmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast