RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Carcano Model 91/24 TS - $249 - Worth a Shot?

Boolit Master

Carcano Model 91/24 TS - $249 - Worth a Shot?

Noticed Palmetto had a batch of these come in. Then noticed Buds also got a batch. These have been on the far back burner for me as far as my WW2 collection goes. Never really jumped out at me. However at $249 shipped, I doubt we will ever see a price like this again. Are these decent shooters?

Must be part of the Royal Tiger Imports big Ethiopian arms cache purchase. The NRA sent around an interesting article just this past week on the many types of firearms found there, and lots of Carcanos were part of the cache due to their WW II occupation of that country. What condition are the ones you're looking at advertised as being in? I wouldn't buy one with a poor bore, but if in good shape they do make good shooters. As for the price, it's hard for us old timers who remember seeing barrels full of them in the '50s and '60s for as inexpensive as $15 each to fathom prices of $249, but I don't believe that they'll ever be any lower again unless you can obtain one in a private sale. So, I'd say it comes down to condition, and how bad do you want one. Are they offering any clips for sale with the rifles? You'll need at least one or the rifle is a single shot.

Boolit Master

The 91/24's were the ones that were cut down 91's.
    They are known to not shoot worth a ****. I have
    one that doesn't shoot to bad with cast bullets.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Noticed Palmetto had a batch of these come in. Then noticed Buds also got a batch. These have been on the far back burner for me as far as my WW2 collection goes. Never really jumped out at me. However at $249 shipped, I doubt we will ever see a price like this again. Are these decent shooters?
    I got a Carcano in 1974, for $100. Heard a bunch about how crappy they were, but one was good enough for JFK. I liked it, but ammo was expensive and hard to find, dies likewise. Eventually traded it off for something else. Wish I still had it today. Not a tack driver, but it was a fun shooter. Where are you going to find anything cheaper these days? Bet it would be a great little cast boolit driver.

I didn't remember the clips, but a quick search and they're available a number of places. Buffalo Arms is apparently selling new production clips, too! They're out of stock, of course, but Northridge and Amazon have them, too. Palmetto has dies and shell holders, looks like ammo is out of stock. Of course!
    Last edited by Scrounge; 07-25-2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: adding a bit more info

Boolit Grand Master

1967 Steinberg's Sporting Goods store in Baton Rouge was selling them for $29.95 .
    A buddy and I each got one with a decent barrel ...we went through every one in the bin and picked the best ones we could find .
    Shot military surplus ammo just as well as any other WWII surplus rifle . The sights were mediocre at best and we could only could get Berdan primed military ammo then . I wasn't impressed but is was a OK for what it was .
    I wanted to reload and shoot boolits so the Carcano didn't fill that need , things may be different now but then no U.S. factory loaded sporting ammo...at least Steinberg's didn't stock any .

I next spent the humongus sum (for a kid in high school) of $59.95 for what appeared to be a never issued 1903 - A3 Springfield rifle in 30-06 with a perfect two groove barrel . With the availability of reloadable brass , a Lyman mould and that adjustable peep sight ...got in a lot of cast boolit shooting ... it was accurate , the sights helped a whole lot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I wound up with a 6.5 Carcano about a year ago and started gathering all the materials I would need to load ammo for it. Found a used set of RCBS dies on the web, new brass and bullets at Graf's. I found generic ammo clips at Numrich, got 4 of those and they work well. This cartridge is claimed to use bullets of .268" diameter but I found this rifle to scatter the shots and show high pressure signs with "starting" loads. Frustration led me to try domestic 6.5mm bullets (.264" diameter for another rifle I have) in this rifle and it loves them. Groups tightened up considerably and the high pressure signs disappeared. Next question was that this rifled printed shots high - rifle had factory sights regulated for a 200 yard +/- zero. I picked up a "generic Mauser front sight" from Brownell's, installed it and shortened it a bit at a time until I got to a 50-yard regulation. I plan this rifle as a close distance deer rifle in heavy, dense cover. The challenge of making the rifle shoot well can be overcome as long as you are willing to find the parts and materials your rifle demands to become an accurate shooter. Once you get there there you can smile at the final results.

Boolit Master
    I have a '91 that has been Bubbaed (I'm not a Bubba critic but he deserves the title on this one), it is rough but it shoots better than it looks. Cast at .266 and "regular" jacketed at .264. This one has a low over action scope so it is basically a single shot. As noted mine is rough and single shot loading can be tough. Removing the scope and loading with a clip and it feeds and ejects pretty smoothly. I also read that '91's cut down didn't shoot well which is why mine still is at issue length. Not sure I would pay $249 plus transfer and whatever else fees. I think you can find better used rifles at that price.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Woolco in Nashville had them dumped in a wood barrel for $7.95-$14.95 back in the mid 70's .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    The 91/24's were the ones that were cut down 91's.
    They are known to not shoot worth a ****. I have
    one that doesn't shoot to bad with cast bullets.
    Denny
    To add to this, these were made with progressive rifling. If kept full length you have the full effect and advantage. Cut the barrel and you only have the beginning of the very slow rifling. If you want to limit it to plinking with roundballs, maybe. Shooting as it was intended to, no way,
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Wayne beat me to it; the rifling has a gain twist! The twist rate increases as the boolit nears the muzzle and to shorten a barrel with this type rifling will introduce an interesting variable in the stabilization of whatever projectile is selected, to state things mildly.
    Last edited by wmitty; 07-26-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    I saw that ad. I just can't believe they go for that much. Then again I didn't think I would see an SKS for 350 either.