Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best 45ACP hollow point mold

Boolit Master

What the heck. . .zombie threads can be fun.

It all comes down to what you're trying to accomplish.

230 grains of non-expanding bullet at GI speeds can penetrate a lot - nine milk jugs in my experience, or probably a rough equivalent of 36 to 45 inches of FBI Jell-O.

Turn that 230 grains into a duty hollowpoint and that will drop to about three jugs, sometimes four, and typically about 14" of bare gel.

So if one were to drop the bullet weight down to 180-200 grains like the OP hints at, I'm sure a solid H&G #68 will still give plenty of penetration, but if you're going to turn that same mass into an .80" caliber parachute on expansion, I'd be concerned that it's best use might be in restricting it to jackrabbits and coyotes. My general attitude is that if you're looking to save lead with expanding bullets, maybe a .45 isn't your best choice.

I led the group buy in convincing Ranch Dog to design this one and NOE to run them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-220-HP_-BB-_220_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	321363

Goal was to more or less duplicate the excellent feeding characteristics of the LBT 230gr LFN in a tumble lube format. In a solid, it drops at about 234 grains; 220 with the deep hollow point pin, and somewhere in between with the "controlled expansion" cup point.

A clever participant in the group buy suggested turning the front tumble lube groove into a crimp groove to increase appeal among the revolver shooters, and the rest is history. With the three sets of nose pins, it covers a lot of bases.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    MP 45-200 here too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123