MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Were Lyman Molds Blued Originally?

Boolit Buddy

Were Lyman Molds Blued Originally?

So I just bought a Lyman 357446 DC mold with pristine mold cavities that a previous owner in their infinite wisdom chose to polish the outside of, and remove most of the finish. I’m sure it will cast beautiful Boolits, but it got me thinking whether these were originally blued before shipping? Would smidgen of cold blue be out of line so I’m not blinded by the glare while casting?

Attachment 265406
    Attachment 265407

Boolit Master
    I have a single cavity that had a bunch of rust all around, after a good cleaning in evaporust it took the surface back to “white” unfinished steel. Any bluing it may have had was long gone.

With repeated use the “color” is starting to return.

My new ones seemed to be blued.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has been a while since I bought a brand new Lyman mold; but as I remember it was blue, but it seemed more like a heat blue oxide than a chemical blue.

I seem to recall that the mating faces weren't colored, which is why I think it was just heated with the mold faces together.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

The older moulds seemed to have a surface that was darkened by heat and possibly oil , not so much a blued finish but a heat induced coloring ... it was like how you "blue" a repaired gun screw head by heating it up and quenching it in oil ... it's darkened but not a modern blue finish ...this may have been called heat blue or heat coloring.

It will not take but a few casting sessions before the bright surfaces will take on this darkening by the heat and oil .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

gwpercle, that is what the finish on the older ones looks like to me. I am not sure, but looking at moulds, it appears to me that at some point they did start blueing them. I have used cold blue on a few that I really thought needed something.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Pre-heat the blocks on a hotplate, cast with the molds, and the patina will return on its own.

It does no harm to degrease and use Dichropan, but it isn't really necessary.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I may be wrong, but I would never heat a mould and quench it in oil for fear of warping it.

Boolit Master

I think Lyman molds were made out of 12L14 steel. The original "blue" was probably from stress relieving prior to machining. If you get your mold to casting temp enough times it will turn blue on it's own.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Lyman heat treats the mold blocks and blues the parts.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Pretty sure Lyman and Ideal molds are made of the Meehanite family of heat resisting cast or ductile irons.
    Last edited by square butte; 07-29-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I'll look into it and let everyone know what I find out. You can't heat treat iron or low carbon steel (12L14, 1018, etc.) since leaded steel (12L14) is cold finished, I suggested that the steel had been stress relieved (heat treated) prior to the cavities being cut to prevent the molds from warping after machining.

Update: On the MidwayUSA web sight:

Lyman 1-Cavity Bullet Molds are made from solid leaded-steel and machined to an exact and smooth super fine finish. The molds are then heat treated (that is why they are blue in color) and feature hardened steel alignment pins to provide many years of bullet casting service. Sprue plates are made from solid steel, ground flat and held tightly in place with tempered steel spring washers and screws. In addition, break-in is often half the time required for iron molds.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 07-29-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Well I guess these are tools, and it is more important how they work than how they look.

Boolit Master

I stand corrected - My information came from a guy who had probably 400+ Lyman and Ideal molds on the shelf and had sold a good many more over the last 20 years.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    Let us know how you like the bullet. Many really dislike that bullet but I've got a 2 holler and I get along with the bullet pretty good. Folks over on "The Art and Science of Casting Bullets" talk it up a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Let us know how you like the bullet. Many really dislike that bullet but I've got a 2 holler and I get along with the bullet pretty good. Folks over on "The Art and Science of Casting Bullets" talk it up a lot.
    I’m loading for a 38 SPL, I see in my old Lyman manual this is/was a popular 357 mag bullet. I bought the lot of three molds mainly to get the Lee 358150 hollow-point mold, and the 358432 wadcutter. I’ll try all three.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I may be wrong, but I would never heat a mould and quench it in oil for fear of warping it.
    I agree ,too easy to warp the mould.Best way is to let it rust lightly on the exterior and card it to remove the rust with a carding brush and boil the mould in distilled water , place in hot oil after repeating the rusting process a few times until the desired colour is obtained .It goes without saying you should not rust the mating surfaces or the cavity.