WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Gun Enthusiasts

Boolit Mold

Looking For Gun Enthusiasts

Hi — I’m an Australian trying to learn about American gun ownership — this is partly out of interest, as we don’t have it in Australia, and partly because I am a filmmaker considering writing a movie about it. If anyone on this forum is willing to chat with me about their personal history and experience with guns, please shoot me a message to my inbox.

Edit:

A little more context...

I am an Australian filmmaker living in Los Angeles -- while we do have guns in Australia, there is nowhere near the same amount as there is in America, nor is there a sense of pride and heritage in owning them (generally speaking - from what I've seen).

I'm trying to speak to American gun owners about their specific experiences with guns -- when did they first buy a gun? What does the 2nd mean to them? etc. etc. To gain a more personal insight into gun ownership in America rather than reading about it (although I'm doing that also).

This is not for any specific project right now -- nor am I affiliated with a company/media outlet -- this is just a personal interest I am pursuing.

So, if you're down to have a casual chat about guns please inbox me or leave a note here and I'll contact you.

Cheers.

Also, I was unaware that the term 'gun culture' was disrespectful -- and I have edited my original post.
    Last edited by LTurnerFilm; 07-28-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master

I suggest you watch " Quigley Down Under ".
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

What guns? We own no such things.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Quigley Down Under is likely the very best movie. It has just the right amount of focus on the rifle, showing outrageous shots in a very realistic way. I would consider this a western film, however it does take place in Australia. Others genre's would be war films. You could look at the american revolution, films like The Patriot. There are lots of them on our civil war, but I can't think of anything that would put much emphasis on the guns. Lot's of movies about more recent wars may be worth a look. American Sniper is a good one. There are countless cop movies out there. Everyone knows Dirty Harry and his model 29. Death Wish and his Wildey pistol is a good one too. For fictional action movies I really like all the John Wick movies, although they may not be what you are looking for.

Boolit Master
    In my experience Americans are uncouth misfits, to be run out of their own country.
    Well, lieutenant (MAJOR!) well major, we already run the misfits out of our country - we sent 'em back to England......

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I’m always interested in talking guns.

Quigley down under is my all one favorite movie. I can quote it word for word, and still never tire of watching it.

Australian trying to learn about American gun culture Aussies don't have gun culture? Well as it was originally a penal colony, guess not. But wait - Aussies were very well armed during WWII.
    We in the states don't have any guns, all lost in boating accidents.
    Whatever!

Read Ruger and his guns by Wilson, that will offer you some insight.

Boolit Grand Master

You do have a Gun Culture in Australia. It seems you don’t know your own countrymen. Your government has tried to kill this culture in 1996 and again in 2002. And violent crimes went up, instead of down, when they tried to do so.

Here’s the TLDR version of American gun culture, “An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.” Or another way of explaining it would be, “God created men, Sam Colt made them equal.”

Read Six Guns by Elmer Keith, it should give you the insight your looking for into our “gun culture”. On second thought I would start with our second amendment.

Boolit Buddy

There are a number of Aussies on this forum you could speak to, they might have the perspective you are looking for. As for me, no bonifides, credentials, or references, then NO interviews. I got royally buuggered by the BBC at one of our early matches after politely assisting them with filming and interviews. Turned out to be a pommy screwjob back in Britain. Saw it months later and was highly irritated. The wankers showed up the following year and were Very Lucky to be allowed to escape with their ***** and equipment intact. Picture a circle jerk with AL Mar, Louis Awerbuck, myself, John Satterwhite, and several other formidable names in the shooting world having words with these wankers.

You may be totally on the level, but the rest of your industry is not to be trusted, not by Me or any one with half a brain. ... Rant Off ...

Quote Originally Posted by LTurnerFilm View Post
    Hi — I’m an Australian trying to learn about American gun culture — this is partly out of interest, as we don’t have it in Australia, and partly because I am a filmmaker considering writing a movie about it. If any one on this forum is willing to chat with me about their personal history and experience with guns, please shoot me a message to my inbox.
    Referring to my heritage as "gun culture" is an insult. It is a term coined by Marxist liberals, and parroted by the mainstream media. In an effort to further isolate and divide us, first, they have to categorize and label a segment of society before they can begin to give it a negative image. I read the term "gun culture" in your opening sentence, and that is where you lost me. We as american gun owners have been under attack for 50 years, and are almost never represented in a positive light in any print or film media. Not only in this country, but world wide. When was the last time you seen the positive use of a firearm depicted in print or film? I certainly can't recall one example.
    So with this life time of experience to draw from, explain why anyone here should give you, or any other documentary film maker the time of day?
    Here is a good reference source you may be interested in;
    https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017...hip-with-guns/
    Last edited by fastdadio; 07-28-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    We do not have a "gun culture" in this country. We have a Constitution that prohibits governments from passing laws that outlaw guns. This is not always honored by local and state government. Our federal Supreme Court is gradually getting laws in compliance with the Constitution. I own guns, I target shoot and I hunt. I am not a gun culture.

Boolit Mold
    Hey -- thanks to everyone who responded, and for the recs -- I'll be sure to check out Quigly, Six Guns and Ruger.

Just to clarify, and add a little more context to what I'm looking for... (I'll add this to the post.)

I am an Australian filmmaker living in Los Angeles -- while we do have guns in Australia, there is nowhere near the same amount as there is in America, nor is there a sense of pride and heritage in owning them (generally speaking - from what I've seen).

I'm trying to speak to American gun owners about their specific experiences with guns -- when did they first buy a gun? What does the 2nd mean to them? etc. etc. To gain a more personal insight into gun ownership in America rather than reading about it (although I'm doing that also).

This is not for any specific project right now -- nor am I affiliated with a company/media outlet -- this is just a personal interest I am pursuing.

So, if you're down to have a casual chat about guns please inbox me or leave a note here and I'll contact you.

Cheers.

Also, I was unaware that the term 'gun culture' was disrespectful -- but this is why I am on this site, to hear from gun owners directly, and learn these sorts of things -- will edit my original post.

Boolit Master
    I take issue with your assertion that Aussies and New Zellanders do not take pride in gun ownership. I can not imagine that and certainly do not see our members from your part of world not taking pride.

You need to understand that the overall media and Hollywood are not looked upon favorably in this circle and they have earned their despisement from gun owners quite well.

No one here wants to end up as muck by first being cooperative only to find out they were instead used. You may have the most honorable intentions of all times but on the other hand you could well use the information, insight and quotes from any of us to twist the narrative as it were.

If you want a description of what the second amendment means to gun owners you might contacting a gun rights organization or more than one.

Three44s

Boolit Master

There are many many sources available already recorded to be viewed.

Now this gun culture I don't know about, but I do know about being free and staying free.

Boolit Master

If you'd happen up this way eastern central Michigan, We can have some coffee and talk and maybe even go shoot some targets. And the restaurant down the street has good gyros for dinner and home made pie.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

One of the most beneficial uses for firearms (There are many ) can be traced to our wonderful military men and women who have for the most part given the best part of their lives defending not only our great Republic but other nations as well. I recommend you obtain copies of NRA (National Rifle Association) magazines such as American Rifleman as they often run articles on military arms used to liberate the oppressed all over the world. Were it not for the brave men and women of the military, and the various law enforcement personnel we would be of all men most miserable. Our founding Father's who penned our Constitution and the Amendments (such as the 2nd Amendment) were wise way beyond their years in recognizing our inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We are having a tough time right now in keeping ourselves free to enjoy the blessings given to us by our Creator, God Almighty. I will say I think you have picked a bad time to come to our great country and produce a film regarding our 2nd Amendment. There is too much going on in our country for a gun enthusiast to "open up for conversation" on the subject. It is a matter of not knowing who can be trusted at the moment?
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Can you travel? Spend some time at the NRA headquarters in Northern Virginia (Washington DC area) and a day or two in the museum. Go to the Elmer Keith Museum at a Cabela's. Stop at the Winchester Museum. Go the the historic Springfield Armory in Springfield, MA. You will get a full idea of the basis of the 'gun culture'. Remember that Admiral Yahamato (sp) told Japan not to invade America 'because there is a gun behind every blade of grass'.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I recommend the movie "April Morning". It is a very good coverage of the first day of the American Revolution. It is the type of spirit that lives in America to this day. You can find it on Amazon. One of the few movies I have ever felt it was worthwhile to buy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast