Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester Model 1902

Banned

Winchester Model 1902

Any experience with them? One showed up in a pawnshop nearby with what appears to be some kind of folk art stock somebody wittled out of a piece of pine on it, but the rest of the gun looked good. Repro stocks are available for these, but otherwise, parts availability seems rather spotty at best.

I have kind of had an itch for bolt action single shot .22s lately and this little rifle looks like fun. I didn't handle it, was in a display case and there was enough going on in the shop that I didn't bother the owner, but are there any specific things to watch for on these rifles?

Banned
    I asked Google-Fu about it. Looks to me that if the dealer price is fair you need to bring it home. Parts seem to be available, generally. Replace the stock and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    I have an 04, best I recall that is some minor revisions but basically very much like the 1902. I like it, it is kinda chunky in the barrel diameter but overall prety tiny, yes, i understand that makes no sense. Thats just the feeling I get from it. They are the forerunners of the M67 we all know and love. Grab it, they dont show often and shooting it kinda takes you back. I have always restricted my 04 to standard velovity loads, they are bolt root lockers into an open notch in the action, which is barrel steel. Besides, its close to 2x my age!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

They have it overpriced considering. I'm not kidding, that home made stock was uglier than Janet Reno in bowling shoes. A new repro stock will set me back about a hundred bucks.

I might just go deal with them on it, there are times I just can't stand to see a gun in a shop like that, kinda like when you go to the animal shelter and see all the puppies looking at you with sad eyes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    They have it overpriced considering. I'm not kidding, that home made stock was uglier than Janet Reno in bowling shoes. A new repro stock will set me back about a hundred bucks.

I might just go deal with them on it, there are times I just can't stand to see a gun in a shop like that, kinda like when you go to the animal shelter and see all the puppies looking at you with sad eyes.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.

I guess the mental picture could have been worse, I'm not sure how, but it could have been.

Robert

Boolit Master
    check the chamber make sure its not pitted

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.

I guess the mental picture could have been worse, I'm not sure how, but it could have been.

Robert
    Seriously, if I get it, I'll post a picture, it is rough and square and blocky and it had a white rubber furniture bumper mounted as a pistol grip cap. You really have to wonder what the story behind it was when you see something like that.

Boolit Master
    From your description, you might should post a warning and a link to the picture, without thumbnail! I don’t know that I could ever “unsee” what you just described!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos