Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear PLUGS vs muffs?

Boolit Master

Electronic ear PLUGS vs muffs?

First off it needs to be understood that my main gripe about electronic ear muffs stems from the fact I need to use hearing aids due to my stupidity from back when I must have thought I was superman and didn't need no sissy ear muffs.

Well today I am paying the price but I still don't understand why the makers of electronic muffs limit the volume so low on these things, at least the ones I have owned/tried (mostly Walkers). Trying to use them with in-the-ear hearing aides is mostly an exercise in futility for several reasons and using the muffs alone I find the volume set at max yields little more, if any, increase over normal sound levels. Even my wife (who can naturally hear a gnat sneeze twenty feet away) still sets the volume at full or near full level to comfortably use the muffs and this has been the case with every muff we have tried, now this brings me to my question. Are the electronic ear PLUGS any better in this respect? I suppose what I am asking is can these things be turned up to a volume level even a little above what a person with normal hearing might use?

Other suggestions from any hearing aide users that might see post would be most welcome!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I need hearing aids as well but don't wear the using electronic ear muffs. Just purchased a set of Walker R600 earbuds,have only used them once so far I like them. Had a bit of a problem getting them to charge but figured out the problem. I have Peltor electronic muffs but can't shoot a rifle with them on that's why I bought the Walkers I can shoot both pistol and rifle and carry on conversatios,hear RO instructions no problem.

Boolit Master
    I, too, use hearing aids, but not when shooting. I have two Howard Leights Impact Sports muffs, and I have no problems hearing range commands, or folks speaking 20 ft away.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same problem and tried several brands of electronic ear muffs, couldnt hear any difference in them. Most were limited to 82 or so decibels of amplification. I kept looking for years and finally found some listed at 89 decibels. I can hear with the higher amplification. Walker razor are what I use.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't wear hearing aids, but the electric ear plugs are not as good as the electric muffs dollar for dollar. To be perfectly honest, I don't think anything under $200 is worth a darn. I've tried more than I care to admit. I can hear talking with them, but for hunting, they are beyond useless. At the range, the guy 200 yards away sounds just as loud as the guy 3 feet away, and that's what makes them so hard to hear with. Even worse is when someone 2 miles away is mowing their lawn, and it sounds louder than the guy yelling right next to you.

I unfortunately can not give you a good recommendation, as I can hear well enough with only ear plugs or regular muffs. Since you are mostly after volume, and not as concerned about sound quality, there may be some louder ones out there. I still sometimes use the Howard Leigh Impact electric muffs. They have horrible sound quality, but they get very loud. I can only max them out if I am wearing ear plugs underneath.

I've had a set of Walker muffs for several years. I don't find any problem with the sound level. Don't wear my hearing aids under them, either.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I've had Pro Ears Gold for about 15 years now and have never turned the volume above 1/3. The sound quality is excellent and does not cut out when you shoot. Directional quality is very good. I use them on the range and in the woods. They are not cheap but quality ear buds are more.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I have a set of AXIL Earplugs that are re-chargable and are connected together. I have been using them for almost 2 years now. jsut used them yesterday. I frequently get the right ear plug pulled out by mounting the gun but I am also nearly deaf in my right ear from a Jeep accident and working on F4's back in the day and so I don't notice it.

https://www.goaxil.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

OK, don't kill me but these have worked well for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master

I have tried lots of electronic hearing protection, and the best I have found so far is the Peltor 300 Tactical.
    If you want Blue-Tooth, go with the Peltor 500

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    What do you call an old shooter? Anything you want, he can't hear you.
    I use foam plugs with electronic muffs when working at the range. Others swear by the Walker electronic plugs that pull out of a neck piece.

Careful there Norske - some of us have learned to lip-read!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I use these with the optional “skull screws” tips for a nrr of 30db which is far better than any earmuffs and the active amplification works well enough that I can take a phone call without taking them out. The noise reduction is good enough to be comfortable shooting indoors next to a guy with a .308 SBR.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master
    Ear muffs are out because I can't wear them with an 1880s period correct old west hat. Electronic ear plugs are also out because of the short battery life. I'll just stick with the conventional foam or rubber ear plugs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Ear muffs are out because I can't wear them with an 1880s period correct old west hat. Electronic ear plugs are also out because of the short battery life. I'll just stick with the conventional foam or rubber ear plugs.

The electronic plugs I use will last a full day on the range on a charge. I’ve never had them run dead because I just charge them at night For multi day matches but they are supposed to last about 16 hrs on a charge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    The electronic plugs I use will last a full day on the range on a charge. I’ve never had them run dead because I just charge them at night For multi day matches but they are supposed to last about 16 hrs on a charge.
    If I could find some like that, I might reconsider.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use cheap foam ear plugs and then put on my Walker razors over them. I can still turn my razors up and and hear perfectly at the range if someone is trying to talk to me. If I use just foam plugs or the razors by them selves gun blasts are to loud for my ears. Never use to be that way decades ago. I’d just shoot with foam plugs or nothing. After the last trip to AZ coyote hunting using my POF P415 and it’s factory brake without ear protection and having one of my ears bleed I won’t shoot any gun with a brake while hunting without my razors on. It made for a miserable 5 days of pain and then my ear started itching on the inside. If I wouldn’t have paid $2400 for it and it shot .3” 200 groups I would had left it right there in the desert. Never again!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-21-2020 at 09:30 AM.

What ever you decide on, make sure yo use it(or both) religiously. I wish I had years ago. This terrible screaming known as tinnitus is miserable. It never stops and the quieter it is around you, the worse it is.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    What ever you decide on, make sure yo use it(or both) religiously. I wish I had years ago. This terrible screaming known as tinnitus is miserable. It never stops and the quieter it is around you, the worse it is.
    I know about tinnitus. I have had it for over forty years now. You do get used to it and learn to ignore it after a while, but it never goes away.
    I use plugs and muffs whenever I shoot unless hunting. I don't want it to get worse or lose what hearing I have left.

I guess(hope) my family and friends have gotten used to me saying "huh".
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast