ADvertise hereInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 3415 USD (57%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Thread: Civil war book recommendations

Boolit Mold

Civil war book recommendations

G'day all,

I've always been a big reader, the Great Jim Corbett is my favourite writer, but also read much about the old New Zealand and African hunting era or anything to do with history really.

The American civil war has always been fascinating to me too, probably more so than any other war in history.

I just finished reading S.C.Gwynne's "Rebel Yell" which is a biography of sorts about Stonewall Jackson. Fascinating read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to get Shelby Foote's trilogy but it's awful expensive in this part of the world. Does anyone have any other civil war book recommendations?

After the civil war I think I'll read into the Napoleonic wars and maybe Hannibal as that seemed to influence Jackson and some of the teachings at west point in that era. But I'm not ready to move on from the civil war itself just yet.

Thank you

The books written by Gen. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain are good. He was the leader of the defense at Little Round Top at Gettysburg.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Buddy metricmonkeywrench's Avatar
    Look up Michael and Jeffery Shaara… Killer Angels, Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure

Boolit Master

I've got a couple dozen of them in my book shelves, and here's a photo of two suggestions. What is good and what isn't kind of depends on exactly where your interests lie, and the manner in which you like to read it. For example, if you want first hand action accounts or detailed histories you'll probably not find them in the same books. A good technique to further your studies is to find a book you enjoy and then copy off the Bibliography in the back of the book which is a listing of the references, usually other books, that the author used for his research and references, and then to obtain and read them. So, here's two places to start, "The Civil War Day By Day", and the Time Life series "The Civil War" which has about 15 thin books that cover specific aspects of the war. I think both of these are out of print, but probably easily available used on E-bay or in libraries.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006552.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	265395
    click to enlarge.

Boolit Master
    If you are looking for the Shelby Foote books, they can be read on line here https://bookfrom.net/shelby-foote/42...erryville.html
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all,

I will look into these.

Boolit Buddy

Jack Hinson,s One-Man War, a Civil war sniper by Tom C. McKenny.

Boolit Buddy
    Company AYTCH, Sam Watkins