MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The next shortage

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    Save up 10 or 12 of these then go shopping with them, some two dollar bills, Susan B Anthony dollars, Scacgawea dollars, Presidential dollars and a few half dollar coins and take a picture of the young cashier's face.
    I gave a Wally Mart cashier a Sacagawea Dollar Coin and she wouldn't take it ... told me it wasn't real money !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    Surprised you just heard of it. Stores have been posting signs of the change shortage for at least a month. The reasons are very simple. Most adult males empty their pockets when they get home into a can. These same guys rarely leave home with any change in their pockets. Add in most mints are working at a reduced capacity.
    Its not a conspiracy. Change is being taken out of circulation from people who save it. And not as much is being produced.
    It takes a while for news to make it's way down de Bayou ... the pirogue boat is slow !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    First I've heard but I get all my news here. With the blur of signs now I could have missed it.

I've had the same 5 quarters in my pocket for 3 years now for phone or parking but a lot of meters take credit cards now. I use plastic. I think there's a baggie of quarters left from before I replaced the washer/dryer but there's no jug of coins here.

I found a well warn 1886 silver dollar that I saved from the old house the other day. 1886 was the beginning of smokeless powder. I wonder where it's traveled in all that time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    It is not just change. I was at the post office to mail a package of brass for a member here and to cash the money order he sent me. The worker at the post office said he could not cash the money order because he did not have enough money in his till to cover it. ***.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

I am driving from Iowa to Texas and I am on my way back home. We stopped in Oklahoma for the night. We have yet to have a problem getting change or paying with cash.

Banned

The next shortage

I’m thinking the areas of the country with the highest population are affected the most, such as the coasts on both east and west and the largest cities.
    FedCoin digital currency is coming, and its supposed benefits absolutely do not outweigh the detrimental costs to liberty, privacy and free markets. An overview of FedCoin by Ron Paul:
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/07/...y-and-poverty/

Banned
    I didn't even know there was an alleged coin shortage until about two weeks ago when I saw a sign in a store asking customers to use exact change if paying with cash.
    Now here's the funny part, same store about a week later. There was a big storm, the credit card machines and internet got screwed up and they couldn't process credit cards. Now the sign read, "Cash Only".

Folks, if someone is in the business of selling something, they are going to want your money. I have yet to have someone refuse to take cash. If they can't make change they may try to con you into rounding up. That works both ways, tell them they can round down or you're walking away. I'll bet you they will suddenly find a magical way to make change !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I didn't even know there was an alleged coin shortage until about two weeks ago when I saw a sign in a store asking customers to use exact change if paying with cash.
    Now here's the funny part, same store about a week later. There was a big storm, the credit card machines and internet got screwed up and they couldn't process credit cards. Now the sign read, "Cash Only".

Folks, if someone is in the business of selling something, they are going to want your money. I have yet to have someone refuse to take cash. If they can't make change they may try to con you into rounding up. That works both ways, tell them they can round down or you're walking away. I'll bet you they will suddenly find a magical way to make change !
    Even before this pandemic, some places had restrictions on cash. The most common was they would not accept bills larger than $20. During hurricane Katrina, one gas station I went too would not make change but they would let you add merchandise to your gas purchase to get closer to your cash. Since then I have been keeping more small bills and change in my emergency funds.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

The no large bills is due to counterfeiting and not having a lot of cash in the till or in the building. I understand both reasons for it. Especially at places that are easy targets for robberies.

Personally a large retail outfit should be giving out gift cards like Walmart. There is no reason to do anything else. They already have the infrastructure in place to give and accept the cards. I feel the same way about Sheetz. This is the only place I’ve been that would only accept exact change. They have gift cards and should be handing them out as change.

Banned
    I can understand not wanting to accept large denominations. Large denomination currency is more frequently counterfeited.
    Additionally, small purchases made with large bills will deplete the seller's smaller bills that they make change with.

Because it is common practice to keep $50 & $100 bills under the cash tray in the register, there is also the technique of criminals offering a large bill (usually counterfeit) to get the clerk to lift the cash tray out of the register. They will then gage if they want to scam the store with a fake $100 or just rob the clerk at that point.

Edit - dragon813gt beat me to the response

Boolit Master

Chick-Fil-A was giving customers a coupon for a sandwich if they bought food with rolled up 10 bucks of coins !

Boolit Grand Master
    Only two stores in town have the sign up. I do carry change, been doing it for many a decade and probably would feel weird if I didn't have at least a couple dollars in change in my pocket.
    One store, if you use the checker, they ask for exact change, but if you do the self serve, you get change back. Thought, if you have change for the self serve, why not for the checkers?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I am driving from Iowa to Texas and I am on my way back home. We stopped in Oklahoma for the night. We have yet to have a problem getting change or paying with cash.
    I took my grandson to GameStop for a video game. Sign on the window says max 5 customers/ Not accepting cash—Credit Cards Only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    How much you want to bet some cashiers are telling customers they can't make change in the hopes that the customer will just round up to the next highest dollar. A lot of suckers will accept that they will not get change back and pay more. At the end of the day the cashier just pockets the excess in the till.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I took my grandson to GameStop for a video game. Sign on the window says max 5 customers/ Not accepting cash—Credit Cards Only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hope you didn’t buy there. They are a poor company and I will be glad when they finally go under. They have done nothing but rip off the gaming community for many years. I know they’re convenient. But their business practices are unethical.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    What we have no shortage of is IDIOTS!
    Nailed it in one!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    What we have no shortage of is IDIOTS!

"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe", Albert Einstein

Banned

Walmart and Aldi's stores in Clinton Iowa both have signs up for no coins. Have for about 3 weeks now

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The no large bills is due to counterfeiting and not having a lot of cash in the till or in the building. I understand both reasons for it. Especially at places that are easy targets for robberies.

Personally a large retail outfit should be giving out gift cards like Walmart. There is no reason to do anything else. They already have the infrastructure in place to give and accept the cards. I feel the same way about Sheetz. This is the only place I’ve been that would only accept exact change. They have gift cards and should be handing them out as change.
    Problem is if you are not from the area the store cards are worthless. I only heard about Sheetz when I moved out here from Jersey.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Problem is if you are not from the area the store cards are worthless. I only heard about Sheetz when I moved out here from Jersey.
    This would effect me more than most since I travel for work. A lot of places have large service areas. Sheetz is certainly one of them. People traveling through from out of area would obviously be effected. But a gift card is better than being told to round up or no purchase at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast