Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most consistently accurate 30 caliber design?

Boolit Master

What is the most consistently accurate 30 caliber design?

Ok.... this should start some good bar brawls.

What is the most accurate or maybe what I’m looking for is the most likely to be consistently accurate all around 30 caliber BOOLIT?

Now I’m talking about that one rifle in some long necked cartridge that likes the odd Loverin design Or the custom mould that’s Accurate Moulds made for you to perfectly fit the throat in your rebarreled slow twist sporterized Mauser.

I’m asking for the common mass produced mould that time and time again shoot great groups and is know to be a winner is just about any 30 caliber cartridge. What is that one mould that just got it all right the first time around?
    The world is coming to an end and you packed up your 30-30 your 300 blackout your 30-40 your ‘06 your .308 and your WIN MAG but there’s no time left and you have to grab that one mould that will feed them all and do it reasonably well to boot.
    Which one is it?

Boolit Grand Master

I've been gaining in 30 caliber molds, and of course most rifles prefer one or another.

If I were to choose a mold that I can depend on to work half decent in all of them, I would go with the Lee 170 grain. There's really no magic about it, just a simple bore riding design that has the size and weight where it needs to be. I've just began trying a Loverin, I've done a bit with the Saeco 315, I tried a Lyman spitzer, I've tried a number of other designs too from commercial cast bullets. I've never been wowed by the Lee 170 grain, but it shoots 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards in everything I've tried it in, with most loads, feeds great, no drama. I've tried it in two model 94's (30-30), a Henry single shot (308), a Remington bolt (30-06), and an Encore (300 win mag). I also tried it in a Springfield M1A, and it shoot as good as anything, which was not good, the rifle has a problem.

Probably the
    - Lyman 311299 (definite 1st)

Then split the difference for these two:
    - SAECO 301 LTC-GC
    - Lyman 311332 especially for the Garand

My favorite for .30-06 is my old 1999 issue Lyman 311644, 190 gr. silhouette.
    Before they changed them a few years back, they had more of a spire point than the newer ones--
    they were sort of spire point-ish until they changed to a semi-round nose, until the 190 was discontinued.

I see them come up on ebay here and there.
    The newer nose design was supposed to help with feeding problems some folks had with the spire point.

The left picture is the old design, The right side one is the newer 311644.
    I never had a feeding problem with the old one in my Rem700.
    I can't quite keep all holes touching at 100 yards, but most of them.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-28-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My experience with Saeco #'s 301 (nee RG-4) and 315 and Lyman #'s 314299 and #311644 has largely been positive in both .30cal. English and metric calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

Given the OP's criteria;

"I’m asking for the common mass produced mould that time and time again shoot great groups and is know to be a winner is just about any 30 caliber cartridge. What is that one mould that just got it all right the first time around?

The world is coming to an end and you packed up your 30-30 your 300 blackout your 30-40 your ‘06 your .308 and your WIN MAG but there’s no time left and you have to grab that one mould that will feed them all and do it reasonably well to boot.
    Which one is it?
    "

The choice is simply the 311291, as mentioned, o or the 311041. My preference being the 311041.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My vote would be the Lyman 311284, sized to 0.310" in a 1:10" twist 30.06. You can't argue with results as this sub MOA 10 shot group shows!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

311299 is an excellent design for most but it's 200 grain weight is a tad heavy for the 30-30 .
    I would have to grab two moulds a 170 FP , like Lymans 311041 for the 30-30 and the 311299 for the larger 30's .

Now if limited to ONLY one I would grab the 311041 and use it in all of them , the 170 grain weight shouldn't be too much of a handicap and they shoot well in my 30-06 .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

To me the one to be use in the 30cals and also lever gun is Lymans 311041, for it have a flat nose for the tube feed also. I have it beside others I use in my 30's
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Others not even close: Lyman 311041.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Since this would be hunting type work then I would agree on the 311041 or similar. I only have the .308, but, hunting needs an HP or flat point.

As a 'back up' to that I'd just keep my Acc 310-210E. Big, kinda flat point and shoots accurately, both sized for PC and lube.

Boolit Master
    I would have to go with the 311041 or one of its clones, Lee 170 FN, RCBS 180 FN(close), NOE or Accurate have their 'copies'. It shoots decently in everything I've tried, 2 MOA or less, mostly depending on sights. I've used it in 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 303 Savage, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Should have a .310 or .311 diameter for most. I start with a .310 then up or down depending.

Boolit Master

yup, 311041 clone, works for me.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

311291 and 311299 are my top choices.

My 308 Win Palma rifle, Krieger .308 1-10 barrel, AR-10 match chamber, RCBS 165 gr. silhouette 0.310", 23.0 gr Reloader No.7.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master

Is this considering accuracy across all your 30 caliber rifles or one specific rifle? My 311291 works in my 30-30, 308 win and my 30-06 bolt rifles but my Lee Spirepoint 155gr works just as well in those rifles as well as my AR15 and AR10 30 caliber rifles also so I actually will have to say the LEE boolit is my do all for my 30 caliber rifles.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have to agree with Mr Drake, if we're talking about a bunch of different 30 cal rifles with various throats dia and dimensions I'd also go with the Lee 155 pointy bullet also throw inthe Lyman 466 and third with Lee 150 flat nose or 160 rn all of those has been rather easy to get to shoot well in all the 30 cal riflesive tried without a lot of work
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

The OP mentioned the "30-30" which mostly would mean a tube magazine. That probably rules out the more pointy bullets such as the Lee 155 and 160 gr bullets. It also is why I eliminated the NOE 310-165-FN "XCB" bullet which would be, and is, superb in the other cartridges mentioned.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The OP mentioned the "30-30" which mostly would mean a tube magazine. That probably rules out the more pointy bullets such as the Lee 155 and 160 gr bullets. It also is why I eliminated the NOE 310-165-FN "XCB" bullet which would be, and is, superbly accurate in the other cartridges mentioned. The OP also mentioned "The world is coming to an end" thus terminal effect along with practical accuracy would be more of a consideration, for me anyway, than just accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The OP mentioned the "30-30" which mostly would mean a tube magazine. That probably rules out the more pointy bullets such as the Lee 155 and 160 gr bullets. It also is why I eliminated the NOE 310-165-FN "XCB" bullet which would be, and is, superbly accurate in the other cartridges mentioned. The OP also mentioned "The world is coming to an end" thus terminal effect along with practical accuracy would be more of a consideration, for me anyway, than just accuracy.
    Thank you for adhering to the “guidelines” I guess I should have thought that through a bit and noted that any bullet design would be fine and that we could consider single loading lever guns or even consider the 30/30 for use in bolt guns and single shot. That way we can focus more on accuracy than design for feeding/safety. I almost put a note about hunting but I didn’t want to muddy the waters with terminal performance considerations outweighing accuracy when the accuracy is the main thing I’m looking for.
    The 311041 With its flat nose scoring so high with so many of you is an added bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast