Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Are Star lube/sizer dies value question

Boolit Bub

Are Star lube/sizer dies value question

Are star lube/sizer dies worth more than other brands? Are they better worse?

Boolit Master
    The two makers that I have dealt with for Star dies have been perfect, measurements right on, Magma and Lathesmith. They are for a much better luber then any of the other lubers so for me it's a no brainer.

They perform differently than the other brands, in that they push the bullet all the way through the sizing die, so for their purpose, they are worth more, as they more than make up for the couple of dollars more in cost with the speed in which they size and lube bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    I understand that the star pushes straight through I am asking if they perform any better than lathesmith or magma

Boolit Master
    Star is made by Magma. In your state!

I've heard only good things about lathesmith. Have no idea how the price point for Star dies came about but they are made in small shops, individually or small batches. I've run over 100K bullets through a Lyman 4500 and the star is better in production quality and speed.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-27-2020 at 11:58 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    Not the original ones they were made in San Diego.

Boolit Master
    The die I have was made by Magma. I've not heard of any "Star" dies that are better than others.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Lathesmith makes fine Star dies. I have 4 made by him and they are spot on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by car16 View Post
    Are star lube/sizer dies worth more than other brands? Are they better worse?
    There are folks that collect stuff, so there might be a small collector premium. For a user, lathesmith’s dies are functionally equivalent.

Boolit Master

Lathesmith’s dies are great. Whenever I need a new diameter, I get them from him.

Boolit Grand Master

They are not worth the money. Lathesmith can make Star dies as good, and likely better than Magma, and they cost less. It is a no brainer.

Boolit Master
    $43.00 versus $52.50, just had to look it up. My Star die was very well made but there were 30 lube holes, I used half the bag of shot to get it down to 3 holes. LOL
    Mal

Boolit Bub
    I noticed that the star had the extra holes. are there any advantages to it or does the dies by lathesmith work good.

Chris will make you any configuration you want: single row of holes, double, triple, etc.

The Star dies came standard with three rows of holes so bullets with more than one lube groove could be lubed in a single pass. Any holes you don't need are filled with lead shot to block the flow of lube. You can also decide on which row of lube holes works best for the particular bullet; top, middle or lower, depending on the design of the bullet and the length of the top punch.

You've got to remember that when Star was making their machines and dies, they were designed for base first sizing, so having options for the location of the lube holes was more critical than with nose first sizing. Each bullet required a fitted top punch for the shape of the nose. The owners of Star resisted nose down sizing, and it was John Paul Jones, a Star distributor, who started making his own flat punches when Star refused to.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I have noticed that original San Diego Star dies have a slight taper at the exit of the die. You need a tenths gauge to measure it.

I do not think the aftermarket dies have this. They seem to be finished cylindrical.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Does the taper make a difference if you are sizing base first

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I 'think' Star honed a taper at the exit to allow the bullet to pop out easier.

As I mentioned earlier, the taper is a few ten thousands of an inch. Hard to measure without precision gauges.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

The only thing along these lines is Star made a sizing die that was .3565". It was meant to be for the S&W model 52. I have heard they bring a premium due to rarity. I think most people are users and not collectors of Star sizers. Aftermarket die makers today will locate the lube holes to a specific height eliminating many that will need to be plugged.