RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Best litium batteries????

Boolit Grand Master

Best litium batteries????

I've been thinking about getting some.
    All kinds out there.
    Would like to get ones that are NOT made in china.
    I've looked on amazon for reviews, but you never know if their true.
    Size I'm looking for are AAA

Moderator Emeritus

I had a camera that spec'd Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ size AA batteries.
    they are awesome, but are NOT rechargeable.
    The camera wouldn't even run on regular Alkaline AA batteries.
    I could take about 100 photos with a set of Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™
    when the camera told me the batteries needed changing, those "used" batteries still had plenty of life still in them, and would run something like a battery toothbrush from much longer than new Alkaline batteries would.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Battery Junction has the Energizer lithiums. Most if their reviews are by actual customers. Ive ordered about 6 times from them and found them to be helpful and knowledgeable.

Boolit Master

All I have ever used is Energizer, they seem to work well in everything I have used them in. Used to have a GPS that couldn't use them until I used them for a bit lowering the charge. But it was an old unit, the new one doesn't have that issue.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    Are those rechargable????

Banned
    Check out C.Crane NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries:
    https://www.ccrane.com/item/batt_nim...e_nimh_battery

I'm not sure of the source but I've had very good experience with CCrane.

Boolit Master
    Project Farm did a test of the various rechargeable batteries check out the video it may be helpful.

Boolit Grand Master

Energizer, worth the price of entry. They are not rechargeable. And I have some devices that won’t work w/ them. A label maker being one of them and I use it almost daily for work. I have no complaints about them. And thankfully I’m able to expense them for work.

I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

LiFePo4 cells are relatively inexpensive and fit in the place of the expensive odd sized high power cells. They last a long time but require a specific charging system. I have been looking at the super-capacitor battery replacements that can be had for regular sized batteries. The down side is capacitor batteries will self discharge over time, the plus side is they can be fully charged from usb port in 90 seconds. One of the sergeants who worked for me had an 18k lumen light that was designed for capacitor batteries. That light was obnoxiously bright, almost to the point of being abusive if shined on people. When set to strobe it would render combatants incapable of hostile advance. Even with your eyes closed, the light was too bright to face directly.

For everyday use, not just flashlights, the option I am going for is a hybrid LiFePo4/super capacitor battery pack for the car and for a ham radio power bank. LiFePo4 batteries can be charged thousands of times so long as they aren't abused by drawing them down more than 80% (lead acid at 50%) and the super capacitor cells tens of thousands of times.

I watched a video of a guy who created such a hybrid and then tested it in his car over 3 years. He even made a 'jump box' that had no battery, just the capacitors which can be charged in a minute before use. LiFePo4 batteries are lighter than lead, capacitors are lighter than LiFePo4 batteries. The capacitors stay charged from the LiFePo4, and a simple resister circuit keeps the rapid draw of high amps coming from the capacitor, from either starting a car or keying up a high wattage Ham radio, thus protecting the LiFePo4 battery.

Some folks may not want to build their own hybrid cells, but they are available for a premium. In the grand scheme of things, they are easy to assemble at 25% of the cost, and can be plug and play/no soldering. I just like that for the radios, I can throw out a small solar cell which will rapid charge the capacitors which will trickle to the LiFePo4 cell, and provide plenty of power.

So far, I can run 2 ham radios, a cell phone charger, a small inverter for the laptop, and/or a 12v coffee mug for hot water for soup/instant coffee, or for when the grand kids go up on the mountain to 'play radio' hot cocoa, all from a solar cell, at only 33 watts. A 100 watt panel with charge controller is quite cost effective these days. The 33 watt cell was given to me by another HAM operator, and was built in the early 1980s. Still going strong and still providing it's designed rated output. I think nowadays, they supposedly start falling off after 20-25 years.

So, from portable batteries like flashlights, or for larger applications such as household off-grid power, the Lithium batteries seem the way to go. I watched a video from Australia where the guy had a battery bank for 36K amp/hours of storage. Each cell was recovered from old laptop batteries. Each cell was tested for output/longevity and assembled in packs of around 100 cells. He in turn had hundreds of theses packs. I've even seen a guy replace the cells for a Tesla he got cheap because the battery pack failed due to driver misuse. Pretty technical stuff but there are lots of interesting videos that show that although technical, even this bumpkin can do it.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    I would take a look at Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They are a bit more expensive than regular rechargeables, but they are well made and dependable. I use nothing else now. The charge lasts a long time and you will get your money's worth. Do a search. They don't loose their charge so fast just sitting around like regular NiMh.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use energizer ultimate lithium. They usually last two years in my trail cameras.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Eneloop. They work for me!
    R.D.M.

Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ are the very best, period but they are just too much money for me.

^^^^ I agree. I use to get a 16 pack of them at Sam’s club for $20 a few year ago. The last time I checked they switched brands.

They list AA in an 18 pack for $21.98!

https://www.samsclub.com/p/energizer...waAv57EALw_wcB

That have 16 packs of 123’s lithium’s for $29.99!
    https://www.samsclub.com/p/energizer...elevance.rr0_4

I normally paid $10 to $12 for a pair of them at Walgreens or Walmart!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-02-2020 at 11:18 AM.

I picked up an 18 pack today from Sam's for $21.98. It always drives me nuts because my two trail cams take 20 batteries. I'll have to pick up a 4 pack.