Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: First time casting

Boolit Man

First time casting

Well how did I do? First time casting bullets, melted down a bunch of 115gr 9mm that was powder coated and recast them as 124 gr 9mm and will be powder coating them in the next few days (will be the first time for powder coating aswell)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Looks like you did yourself proud! Good job.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Looks like you did yourself proud! Good job.
    Thank you very much.

Boolit Buddy
    looks nice
    so since you melted down powder coated I'm guessing you had lots of filth and had to clean the lead somehow? did you flux it and if so how and how did you know when it was clean enough?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by guy_with_boolits View Post
    looks nice
    so since you melted down powder coated I'm guessing you had lots of filth and had to clean the lead somehow? did you flux it and if so how and how did you know when it was clean enough?
    Oh yes, I used wax for to float the filth to the surface and man it was bad. I melted and cleaned to make new inhots then melted the ingots to cast the bullets do basically 2 cleanings.
    Very little trash from the newly melted ingots. One thing about the powder coating I did notice is it stayed intact and floated to the top, even keep it's color so it's pretty tough stuff.
    Made the mistake of melting those down in a bottom pour lee pot, had to clean the pot twice while doing it and once when I was done.
    The new ingots had do very little trash in them I was surprised. I did cast them pretty hot and my ingots where frosted,think that helped to seperat the powder coating.

When I had no more trash floating to the top and couldn't pick up any more I figured it was a clean as I was going to get it.

Wow - frist time casting and you got that many? It took me a while to be able to get through 10 or 20lbs of alloy.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Wow - frist time casting and you got that many? It took me a while to be able to get through 10 or 20lbs of alloy.
    Well I did melt down the old bullets and make the new ingots on Saturday.
    Casted those (659) today.
    First time I ever use a bullet mold in my life, took about an hour to get the hang of the heat as I was to cold or to hot for a while but just wore a pair of US issue frog gloves and but the bad bullets right back in the pot along with the sprue.
    Took me about 2 hours or so to do them all.
    I have read so much on this forum about good and bad bullets it helped a lot.