Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: A nice score at my local Honey Hole!

Boolit Master

A nice score at my local Honey Hole!

Hello All,
    I bought 984 pounds of old Wheel Weights today at my favorite local Scrap Yard! Thanks for looking. Boats

Banned
    Nice score, that will keep you busy smelting for a little while and feed your obsession for a year or 2

Boolit Buddy
    Nice haul, Boats!

Boolit Buddy
    My local scrapyard had a huge crate of wheel weights for .30 per pound, three test hands full only resulted in 2 lead ww's. Left them where I found them. I did manage to get 177 lbs of roof jacks, water pipe, and 4" drain pipe. Going back for more of that as soon as the eagle lands.
    Also had one of my contacts drop off 162 lbs of range scrap, already cast in lyman molds for a buck a pound... did an acid test and no bubbles, yay! You can't hardly beat that. All of this lead is soft as can be. I have 16 pigs of linotype left and will be figuring out my recipe in the next couple of days.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Good score. I don’t want to burst your bubble but the average 5 gallon pail of wheel weights weighs about 125 pounds full to the top. That’s with about someplace between 30 to 50 percent usable wheel weights. Obviously if they’re all lead it’s gonna wait a bit more. So you got about seven arete 5 gallon buckets a wheel weights. Still a good find! Keep looking and happy hunting!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Good score. I don’t want to burst your bubble but the average 5 gallon pail of wheel weights weighs about 125 pounds full to the top. That’s with about someplace between 30 to 50 percent usable wheel weights. Obviously if they’re all lead it’s gonna wait a bit more. So you got about seven arete 5 gallon buckets a wheel weights. Still a good find! Keep looking and happy hunting!
    I did a good search threw the batch before I bought it all. I dug 5 5 Gallon buckets out it so far and I couldn't find one bad WW. Thanks for the comment.

Boolit Master
    i work in a auto shop , lead weight ratio is way down. Clip ons are slowly drying up.
    80% of the sticks ons are steel.
    Few shops around me already have lead spoken for. Trying to get lead from tire shops around here is tough. Already a inside man 90% of the time.
    Roof flashing is abundant as theres a lot of older houses getting rehab in the area.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    i work in a auto shop , lead weight ratio is way down. Clip ons are slowly drying up.
    80% of the sticks ons are steel.
    Few shops around me already have lead spoken for. Trying to get lead from tire shops around here is tough. Already a inside man 90% of the time.
    Roof flashing is abundant as theres a lot of older houses getting rehab in the area.
    I got a small box of wheel weights recently from the service station up the street.
    Paid 39 cents a pound.
    Only a small sample really. 56 pound box. Of that 25 pounds were lead stick ons and battery cable ends. THREE pounds were lead clip ons. 28 pounds were zinc, steel, and garbage. The bulk of the garbage was steel stick ons.
    So I got 50% lead but most isn’t usable as is. Oh well

Moderator Emeritus

Lucky you. Scrap yards wont sell to people. There is an aluminum can shortage. Went to sell my bags of em and Virginia and Maryland scrap yards near me wont take them due to covid concerns. Asked one lady if she was nuts and planning on drinking from the crushed cans. For some reason the discussion ended there.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a great score! Especially if they are mostly lead.

Boolit Master
    Good score indeed, someone had to have sorted them already, which I think is a worse job than melting them. How bizarre they ended-up at the scrap yard. What did they cost per pound? Yield here seem to be around 50%. I sledom pay more than a token amount for them (buy tires, bring them vehicle batteries when I run across them), I have been very lucky and should have enough my kids will be left to deal with them. With that said, it is still hard not to grab them (or any lead) when they are basically free. I keep thinking I need to sell/pass-on my melting set-up to get me to stop collecting lead.... Hi, I cast boolits and I have an problem.

My yard also won't take the aluminum cans now....not sure the thinking behind that.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Good score indeed, someone had to have sorted them already, which I think is a worse job than melting them. How bizarre they ended-up at the scrap yard. What did they cost per pound? Yield here seem to be around 50%. I sledom pay more than a token amount for them (buy tires, bring them vehicle batteries when I run across them), I have been very lucky and should have enough my kids will be left to deal with them. With that said, it is still hard not to grab them (or any lead) when they are basically free. I keep thinking I need to sell/pass-on my melting set-up to get me to stop collecting lead.... Hi, I cast boolits and I have an problem.

My yard also won't take the aluminum cans now....not sure the thinking behind that.
    I paid 35 cents a pound.

Boolit Master
    I used to stop by the scrapyard on my way to and from jobs. I sorted through what was there. I divided them into lead, steel and zinc. The manager of the scrapyard appreciated my diligence and charged me .25/lb for lead, lino or pewter. I appreciated it so much that he never shipped lead to the foundry for a 15 year period.

Boolit Master

That's decent. I need to check my yard as it's been a good 6 months. Last time I think I paid $.50 lb. About a year ago I scored 40 ish lbs of solder drippings. Fluxed out to about 35 lbs of clean. Never tested it, but it's either 50/50 or 60/40. It was a good day.

Boolit Mold
    Scrap yard in Minnesota can’t sell lead to public, I asked one yard if I could buy them there metal clips attached to the lead. Almost worked but he thought he would get in trouble.

Boolit Bub
    Nice save better that them become boolits than some other crap
    Not a Marxist or supporter of any Marxist organization not matter what their name is

NRA Life Member