Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Gatekeeper slug - Ever seen one of these?

Boolit Master

Gatekeeper slug - Ever seen one of these?

I'm not sure if this would fit here in the shotgun reloading section, but I do see slug and sabot reloads discussed quite often. If there is a better place, it can be moved as seen fit.

Whilst going down rabbit holes on YouTube last night, I came across this copper load called the gatekeeper.
    https://youtu.be/NynJOLt4eTY

The damage that this can inflict is tremendous. Frightening actually if one were on the receiving end.

I live about forty miles from the shop in Horseshoe Bend. I might stop in some day and see if some are available. Gp

Boolit Master

OMG, I would use that... may have to track some down. My deer gun is not rifled, and they were shooting in an unrifled barrel. Most premium slugs will not work well in an unrifled barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The damage that this can inflict is tremendous. Frightening actually if one were on the receiving end.
    It sure looks impressive opened up like a flower, but the slow motion of the ballistics gel doesn't look anything crazy to me. I'd have to say your standard 00 or 000 buckshot load is far more impressive, and penetrates about twice as deep as that to be honest.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    OMG, I would use that... may have to track some down. My deer gun is not rifled, and they were shooting in an unrifled barrel. Most premium slugs will not work well in an unrifled barrel.
    There are dozens of shotgun slugs you can buy that work without rifling. I'm guessing you don't like the foster slugs like the Winchester rifled, Remington Slugger, or Federal truball for some reason.

Other options include everything from Brenneke, except their super sabot. The Brenneke classic magnum is likely the single best shotgun slug ever invented. I do not like the KO. The green lightning is a great option. I believe every Lightfield slug works fine from a smooth bore. Winchester made what is best described a copy of the Brenneke, they call it the deer season extreme.

There are many more options I'm not thinking of, but for deer, I see no reason to shy away from foster slugs. They are popular for a reason. They are accurate, and they are extremely effective.

Boolit Master

I have shot the Remington Slugger in 12 ga. 2 3/4 inch for years, it clover leafs at 100 yards with 3 shots. Not a real reason to change, but I can see IL going to a no lead state. I have tried sabots, have had nice clean shots go thru with 0 expansion... and I do not feel like spending 2 or 3 times more for another foster type that is really not going to do any better than the Remingtons. Years ago, I bought a couple of boxes of all of the major slugs and frankly none shot better than Sluggers in my gun. 18 inch barreled Wingmaster.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the buckshot will certainly penetrate better but when that beast flares out and puts on the brakes. Yikes, that is some major inertia to absorb.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I have shot the Remington Slugger in 12 ga. 2 3/4 inch for years, it clover leafs at 100 yards with 3 shots. Not a real reason to change, but I can see IL going to a no lead state. I have tried sabots, have had nice clean shots go thru with 0 expansion... and I do not feel like spending 2 or 3 times more for another foster type that is really not going to do any better than the Remingtons. Years ago, I bought a couple of boxes of all of the major slugs and frankly none shot better than Sluggers in my gun. 18 inch barreled Wingmaster.
    I'm going to guess those were the Federal sabot loads with the Barnes trophy copper slug. Yeah, they are not very good. Brenneke makes one called the TKO, however, I have never tried them. I have tried their KO sabot (now called topas), and it did not shoot good. Neither did their super sabot. Brenneke's whole game is the solid slug and solid wad like the classic and the green lightning. They can't seem to get anything else right.

There really is not a good option for a lead free shotgun slug for smooth bore's. The Remington copper solid was a good performer in a rifled barrel, but I also remember them going for $18 a box of 5, and that was 10-15 years ago. Don't bother trying a weird specialty slug like the one above for deer, I doubt they are going to be very effective. One new slug that just came out is the AQ non-toxic slug from Ballistic products. The original AQ made of lead was very accurate, and this new copper version may be an option for you if you load them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    There are dozens of shotgun slugs you can buy that work without rifling. I'm guessing you don't like the foster slugs like the Winchester rifled, Remington Slugger, or Federal truball for some reason.

Other options include everything from Brenneke, except their super sabot. The Brenneke classic magnum is likely the single best shotgun slug ever invented. I do not like the KO. The green lightning is a great option. I believe every Lightfield slug works fine from a smooth bore.
    STI Slugs also will shoot from a smoothbore. But the ones you listed are probably the best. I mean after all, Wilhelm Brenneke invented them over 100 years ago and they are still going strong.

Pretty hard to beat, and Lord knows we've tried just about everything known to man here.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

The unfolded petals look impressive but I doubt the slug would penetrate deep enough to be efficient on bigger game - like an angry grizzly!

12 Gauge slugs really don't need to expand (they already have a lousy sectional density to begin with). The design looks pretty sturdy and flies true, just skip the petal-slits in the copper insert and you have a winner. Of course, if the slug were meant for personal protection (as the name "Gate Keeper" would suggest) the petals should work wonders...
    Cap'n Morgan

OK. After watching that video I have to say I was impressed! That is the most perfect expansion I Have ever seen on any boolit.

As far as accuracy goes they didn't prove anything. They were shooting at 10 yards! like to see what it would do from a Rifled Barrel at 50+ yards.

I am in firm agreement with their controlled Velocity of 1270 FPS as that is what I load my Non Toxic slugs to. I don't see a reason to go faster unless you are shooting Polar Bears or really big stuff. You see how much impact there is. Nothing is going to walk away from that!

They look to be made from regular copper which is why they didn't explode like the Brass ones do. The biggest problem I see is the 12" penetration on the Gel block. That isn't enough penetration for Big Bears or Large Cattle. But it would sure make a mess going in .

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

So far I have not been able to eyeball any ammo with those slugs. I am all ears if someone knows where to find the ammo. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I live about forty miles from the shop in Horseshoe Bend. I might stop in some day and see if some are available. Gp
    GP
    PM me if you decide to make the 40 mile trip, I'd love a couple boxes of these.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Scott: I'll keep you in mind. I'd like to have some myself. Gp

me too !!! I'm good for the money.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

I agree ! Impressive !!
    That should put a big hurt on a corn cruncher. Slice and dice through the whole chest. Hit the pumper with that and there should not be much tracking.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.