Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Flies

Boolit Master

Flies

Here in SW Oregon we have more flies this year than I have ever seen in my 78 years.
    I have set out a number of fly traps and catch them by the thousands.
    I`m not sure what is worse the annoyance of the flies or the smell of the fly trap bait.
    I f you buy one, be sure to place it away from anywhere anyone will be...dale

Boolit Master
    I live too close to a drainage area that is nearly always wet. Flies seem to be fewer in numbers, as yet no ticks or fleas which is really odd. But the small gnats and mosquitoes more than make up the shortage. Kentucky heat and humidity is still very noticeable.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of my observations over the years include a trip to Mono Lake, CA one year. It was probably in August and I wanted to take some photos down near the lake shore. I noticed a black ring around the lake at the waters edge. Turns out the 'ring' was about 6 feet wide and consisted of a 'bizzillion black flies. Was not a pleasant experience.
    During a particular heavy fly outbreak one summer, I hung out some 'fly traps' the water filled kind with the bait. A day or two later they were quite full and I had to take them down because of the smell and Turkey Vultures circling overhead.
    I prefer to use 'fly strips'. Just don't hang them where you can 'walk' into them!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Dad used to use some kind of bait he would sprinkle on cantaloupe rinds. It was granular like pink sugar. Within a few hours the rinds would be black with dead flies, and more flies waiting for their turn to get a taste. After a few days there wasn't a fly problem around our house and barns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Dad used to use some kind of bait he would sprinkle on cantaloupe rinds. It was granular like pink sugar. Within a few hours the rinds would be black with dead flies, and more flies waiting for their turn to get a taste. After a few days there wasn't a fly problem around our house and barns.
    Would this amazing stuff be called " Maxforce Granular Fly Bait ? If it works I could use some around my place ...hot , humid , lots of rain and more flies than the cats can catch ...they need help.

I don't like those nasty sticky fly strips with the dead & dying flies all stuck to it waving in the breeze like some ugly wind chimes .
    The Bait sounds more better .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Black flies are horrible again this year, get bit up bad if I don't use this spray I found last year called Bye Bye Black Fly from Bear Mountain Botanicals. Stuff even smells good, like pine. Deet is fly attractant!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7D904BC-C15D-416E-A59B-23263D1A0BA5.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	265359 These things work great indoors. Use them in my shooting houses. Here in Central NYS the dry, hot summer has resulted in a torrent of wasps, deer and horse flies and garden mites.

Great year up here in the mountains this year (so far). Even the mosquitos are at a minimum.

Living on the edge of a emerging Wetlands, we get deer flies, horse flies and yellow flies this time of year. I would use fly granules like others but they are also known to be very effective on killing Coons and your friendly dogs.

Since moving here 3 years ago, we have gnats so thick they look like a cloud of smoke over the yard.
    I have 3 bug zappers out and they look like they were wrapped in felt every morning.
    But almost no flies or mosquitos unless there is something dead near by..

Our weekender house we had on the other side of the lake before we retired,
    was surrounded by enough wilderness you could make a Tarzan movie.
    We had plenty of wasps and mosquitos, but never too many flies unless there was a road kill or something.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ed years ago I made the mistake of putting zapper in back yard(garland) with pan of dish soapy water. Think I got every moth in the county every day. Next year has all the bugs from eggs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

So far we are having a good year bug wise.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I got every moth in the county every day. Next year has all the bugs from eggs.
    Hmm, we almost don't have moths around here. I can go several days and not see one.
    In the city, we were covered with them, and the bug zappers would eat a steady diet of them, but not out here.

I can't imagine why we don't have many.
    We do have lots of different kinds of birds, not just the English sparrows that are about 98% of the birds we had in the city.
    We don't have a big problem of bugs that turn into moths eating all the ornamental plants out side either.
    Maybe all the different kinds of birds eat them before they make a big population.

If anyone has a shortage of June bugs and ants--- we do have plenty of them to spare.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Would this amazing stuff be called " Maxforce Granular Fly Bait ? If it works I could use some around my place ...hot , humid , lots of rain and more flies than the cats can catch ...they need help.

I don't like those nasty sticky fly strips with the dead & dying flies all stuck to it waving in the breeze like some ugly wind chimes .
    The Bait sounds more better .
    Gary
    I cant remember what it was called. It's been over 40 years since I was living in my parents house. He used to buy it at Ranch and Home in Moses Lake WA. If it is still available I bet any farm supply store would have it. Like anything else that works, I'd imagine it's been banned because it endangered some freckled beak slime dauber or wrinkled back barn rat.

Boolit Master
    Ticks were so bad this year I started a Tick Jar. I 've gotten good at detecting them. No serious bites yet. Will have to count them at the end of the season. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Golden Malrin has always been our go to for flies. The changed the formula several years ago and it is now blue instead of yellow. Still works but not quite as good as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Ticks were so bad this year I started a Tick Jar.
    You need to cultivate a population of opossums.
    Sure, they ain't much to look at, and won't win any beauty contests but:
    They find and eat ticks in the wild like a bum going after a bologna sandwich or a bottle of MD 2020.

We have several that live out around here, and we tolerate them.
    In our 3 years here, not us or the dogs have been bit, or even seen a single tick.

In this part of the country, Lyme disease is a serious issue.
    If there were any ticks around, we'd be spraying the ground, the trees, and buying Off by the case.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You need to cultivate a population of opossums.
    Sure, they ain't much to look at, and won't win any beauty contests but:
    They find and eat ticks in the wild like a bum going after a bologna sandwich or a bottle of MD 2020.

We have several that live out around here, and we tolerate them.
    In our 3 years here, not us or the dogs have been bit, or even seen a single tick.

In this part of the country, Lyme disease is a serious issue.
    If there were any ticks around, we'd be spraying the ground, the trees, and buying Off by the case.
    Very Cool! I had no idea.

I've had Lyme's and take it very seriously.

I had a dog, pointer, that took great delight snatching flies out of the air. She would lay still until they got near her face, one snap and they were gone.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    The flies are noxious here in the desert this summer. Particularly considering the lack of rain.
    At least we ain’t got no skeeters.

Moderator Emeritus

Been seeing a lot of moths. Beautiful ones full of color large and small. Even saw a lunar moth one day. Took a picture of one creature that turned out to be a Dobsonfly. I have a small stream not to far away.