Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did we miss the boat?

Did we miss the boat?

It seems like a great time to be a primer maker... Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell...

Anyone have any thought on how long it'll take before we start seeing primers again?
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    It seems like a great time to be a primer maker...
    Just a wild guess, but I'd figure they're busier than a cat in the sand box.

With all the factory ammo being so picked over and sold out, most of them are probably going to the ammo factories,
    since selling loaded ammo is way more profitable than just primers.

When the loaded ammo is back on the store shelves, primers should be right on along behind it.

I'd keep an eye on your local shops.
    Sometimes it seems they get restocked first.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

When the panic buying is over....dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Part of this is the panic derived from the political situation, and I believe another part of it derives from the opportunity a lot of us have to be doing some delayed or neglected reloading since we are at home more. How many of you have ramped up your reloading a little (or a lot) during this enforced “staycation?” Reloading requires work, so the casual shooter or the panic buyer will leave the components on the shelf as soon as the “spike” in buying everything passes. JMHO, and I’ve been wrong before, but that’s how it looks to me.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

The shortages of factory ammo means the primers are going to contracted buyers. The ammo companies contract for their supplies and these are filled before going to reloading components.

the hoarders can really tie things up with panic buying.

And the last to consider, as mentioned above components bring more in loaded ammo so it amazing ammo companies sell any components to the public for reloading. Stop reloading and they get the whole shebang for ammo.

Chuckles as he thinks of all the primers stored in his basement in .50 cal ammo cans.
    Large and small rifle, Large and Small Pistol in thousands. Shotgun 209 primers even.

When times are good and componants plentiful, that is the time to stack up your money and pile up componants.
    Stack them deep, wide, and high. We never know which one of these will be our last chance.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Just one of those things bud
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Buddy
    What irritates me are the Gunbroker and Craigslist ads offering primers for $125 a thousand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    What irritates me are the Gunbroker and Craigslist ads offering primers for $125 a thousand.
    I can understand people selling primers for $125 per 1,000... What doesn't makes sense to me is people paying $125. If I was at LGS and someone was looking for primers and willing to pay $100 for 1,000 I'd oblige.

Banned
    Lesson to learn.

For those of you who went throught the last reloading supply shortage and did stock up ---- I don't feel sorry for you.

Many of us had to scale back on our reloading/shooting then.

Besides checking LGS check farm supply stores and some hardware stores.

Diligence and persistence in your search is the key

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    You can ask whatever you want. If people are going to be stupid enough to pay that price it's not your fault.

The end of the current silly season will be dependent on what happens in November. If one party ends we should see things coming back to normal in about six months.

If the other party wins we'll be lucky to be able to own most firearms.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I always buy when available at at a normal price or the rebates and sales , hence even with all the loading I do I have extras for the future and to keep loading or shooting , I remember saying in several threads last year to buy then as prices were normal and supply was available

I wish luck to those who did not learn the lessons of past election years and or other unforeseen circumstances , but it always is a good thing to prepare ahead.

Even with having a stash this recent set of events that are ongoing is only going to prolong the shortage .

Boolit Grand Master

The last time (2013) I would say I started finding them on dealer's shelves , at a higher price of course but not E-Bay High , after about one year , by the second year primers could be found in several sizes and occasionally ...On Sale ! That's when I became a Primer and Powder Addict and started buying hoarding everything I could possibly use . After this panic I'll probably buy more , just to have ... I hope the children don't mind their inheritance being in primers and gunpowder ...

By the way ...the panic's are induced , social media can spook the herd to make a run on toilet paper , bottled water ...just about anything ...so this isn't going to be the last .
    My advice is stock up when the goods are available ... the panic will happen again ... and again ... and again...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I can understand people selling primers for $125 per 1,000... What doesn't makes sense to me is people paying $125. If I was at LGS and someone was looking for primers and willing to pay $100 for 1,000 I'd oblige.
    Yep, a few years ago I facetiously told a guy at the range I would sell him some 30-round AR mags at $100 a pop when he asked. He dropped 10 Benjamins right there. I sold him the $10 STANNAG cheapo mags right there. Idiot.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

"My advice is stock up when the goods are available ... the panic will happen again ... and again ... and again..."

Agree totally.

Save your money now, wait for supply's to come back and prices to come back down. Then buy LOTS. Stack them deep, wide, and high.
    Learn to look at the trends. Buy when supplys are ample and prices are low. Ride on your stock when they can't be found or prices are high.
    When it turns around, restock, and add more.

Same is true for TP, paper towels, food, water, all the essentials of life.
    Moderation in all things, yes even in moderation.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    a lot of contributing factors . . . . Covid 19 may have affected productivity . . . . current political outlook . . . . those who remember other times of shortages who tend to buy and hoard . . . .

No different than people who would never have considered buying a firearm now buying them for protection - as well as normal gun consumers equals bare shelves mixed with production shutdowns during Covid crisis

Powder is also in short supply in many locations . . I put in an order a Monday morning to Grqfs a few weeks ago and was amazed at how many different powders were marked out of stock as compared to what I had seen the previous evening . . . I just wanted to get a few 1 pound containers of my most use powders . . . I ended up having to buy 2 different 8 pound jugs of powders i use as nothing else was available . . . but, at least I was able to get it

Not just primers . . . percussion caps are in short supply as well and you see "out of stock" much, much more than "in stock" . . . .

Like anything else . . . supply and demand will set the prices as well . . . . .

I saw the same as the OP when it comes to primers . . . I could find no small pistol primers wherever I looked . . . I put in a primer order to Grafs and within a day or so . . . . all could see were some shotgun primers and Large Rifle Primers . . . .

Personally .. . . . I think supplies are going to be hit or miss for a while . . . .

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    "Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell..."

You found those Please tell were?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

powdervally had shotshell primers a week ago, I picked up some just because. brownells had shotgun primers this morning, but that was several hours ago. on a positive note, ran out of greendot for some buckshot loads I was doing up and could not find it anywhere, stopped at scheels today and they had it on the shelf.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    "Only thing I see available is Large Rifle and Shot Shell..."

You found those Please tell were?
    All the main online suspects: Midway, Powder Valley and Brownells all have shot shell and Large Rifle primers.
    WWG1WGA

Anyway, I'm thinking we missed the boat on opening up a primer making company!
    WWG1WGA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast