Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did we miss the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Anyway, I'm thinking we missed the boat on opening up a primer making company!

Yeah, same story for me too.
    Heck, I'm 65 and still trying to think up a better mouse trap so the world can beat a path to my door.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Remember last spring all those primer & powder rebate deals? Yep, I spent a bunch then.....just had a feeling with election year coming up.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Yep, the boat has sailed. Everything started drying up in March. 2012-13 was very bad but this will be worse. In 2012-13, companies put on extra shifts to make ammo & components. The same companies are now running fewer people at their shifts. Throw in riots, pres election, it will get worse before it gets better imo. I don't expect anything that looks normal until next June or so. If Biden pulls a rabbit out of his butt & wins, it could change forever & what you have now may be all you have. Yes it could get that bad.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    it seems there may be some primers left at smaller local sporting goods stores around the country even though the giant sellers are out. someone posted a link last week or so to a store in PA that had lots of all sizes from cci Winchester and Remington at real good prices too. as far as price gouging last big shortage people were advertising 500 22's for $150 and people were paying it. this year is very different though with election, if democrats get control things might be a whole lot different in the future, our 2A rights need to be not just for firearms but ammo and components too.

Boolit Master

When things calmed down the last time, I bought 5k at a time, small/large pistol, small/large rifle, but no shot shell. Opps, my bad. I didn't have any hulls, didn't really load shot shell much. My intent was to start loading up so I bought some specialty wads for 69 RB, and wanted to get some hulls to load some 00 Buck and the RB as they were always on the shelf at Sportsman's. I didn't get to town for a while and Sportsman's didn't have any and stopped carrying such components. I guess it will be a while before said stock is available online.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Seen the same primer shortage for the 4-5th time since the 80's.

Hey guys did you not learn or do you need a 2x4 across your heads EH!

or are you to cheap to stock up when available? No sorrow for those without.

I see primers as a commodity, or good like gold. I hope to leave my kids with a bunch of them if they reload, or not.

Primers are the spark that ignites our freedom.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    if Biden is the one I'm taking up Knitting!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    It’s the young guys like me that are really hurting. I was 15 when Obama got in and never had the opportunity to stock up before hand. Finally start to see a come back. Building a house so not a ton of money to invest but did as I could, now it’s gone again.

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    When things calmed down the last time, I bought 5k at a time, small/large pistol, small/large rifle, but no shot shell. Opps, my bad. I didn't have any hulls, didn't really load shot shell much. My intent was to start loading up so I bought some specialty wads for 69 RB, and wanted to get some hulls to load some 00 Buck and the RB as they were always on the shelf at Sportsman's. I didn't get to town for a while and Sportsman's didn't have any and stopped carrying such components. I guess it will be a while before said stock is available online.
    You can start loading for shotgun now. I started looking for birdshot because I like to shoot trap - there is still birdshot out there btw...

Then got on to thinking "I only have about 100 buckshot rounds, let's see if there are any out there..." Nope. No buck, no slugs, none of those fancy slug with buckshot, no sabot, no nothing.

So, I looked and I bought a LEE shot press, 4lbs of Herco powder, some #4 birdshot, some wads and a bunch of pre-primed fiochi hulls. Then I also found shotshell primers, so got 5k of those... I have a OO buck shot mold, so I'm good for buckshot. But maybe I need a slug mold??? I just ordered all this crap a week ago.
    WWG1WGA

I didn't really get caught out. I stocked up last time the gettin was good. However, I had no use for small rifle primers at the time. Now, I have recently bought a 350 Legend and want to reload for it. Got the dies from Lee and two hundred rounds to start with......Boom!
    No small primers to be found anywhere on the face of the planet. Story of my life. Ace-king-queen-jack-nine.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I didn't really get caught out. I stocked up last time the gettin was good. However, I had no use for small rifle primers at the time. Now, I have recently bought a 350 Legend and want to reload for it. Got the dies from Lee and two hundred rounds to start with......Boom!
    No small primers to be found anywhere on the face of the planet. Story of my life. Ace-king-queen-jack-nine.
    This is what happened to me... I decided a while back that I wasn't going to reload. 223 "unless I had to" and then came along the sweet deal on the 350 legend upper...
    WWG1WGA

There’s a shortage? I hadn’t noticed. I’m wide, deep, and high

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    if Biden is the one I'm taking up Knitting!
    Better get safety needles

Boolit Grand Master

For those that didn't learn from the obumma administration, getting prepared is easy without panic hoarding. For a bunch of years whenever I went to a store that sold components I would buy an extra pound of powder or brick of primers or rimfires. Probably not every single time, but often enough to build up my personal inventory. I haven't purchased powder on line in several years (I get a stomach ache when I have to pay Has Mat rip off fees) but when some was on sale, or I had a bit of extra cash, I'd buy some (I got a good tax return one year and I bought an 8 lb jug of Universal and an 8 lb. jug of WC 820 a military surplus new powder). Today I am running short of large pistol primers because I've been reloading and shooting 45 ACP a lot and have maybe 400 primed cases waiting, but other sizes I have a minimum of 4,000 of each size, small, large, standard, magnum, and rifle and pistol. I probably have 40 lbs of various powders and a 5 gal bucket full of 22 lr bricks and maybe 40-50 loose boxes. My age has slowed my shooting/reloading down so if I cannot restock at all, I probably can shoot at my present rate for 4-5 more years...

Not bragging or patting myself on the back, but sharing how easy it is to not get caught short and not having to panic buy every thing in sight and costing a month's wages...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I can understand people selling primers for $125 per 1,000... What doesn't makes sense to me is people paying $125. If I was at LGS and someone was looking for primers and willing to pay $100 for 1,000 I'd oblige.
    Careful saying that! Last time I said something similar a few wanted to crucify me. They think everything should always be fair, for everyone. Selling for more than you paid? How obscene! How dare you take capitalist advantage of those poor people!

I don't think they are aware of their own stupidity. Vilifying a investment for your own personal gain? Sounds like communism to me.
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 08-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    For those that didn't learn from the obumma administration, getting prepared is easy without panic hoarding. For a bunch of years whenever I went to a store that sold components I would buy an extra pound of powder or brick of primers or rimfires. Probably not every single time, but often enough to build up my personal inventory. I haven't purchased powder on line in several years (I get a stomach ache when I have to pay Has Mat rip off fees) but when some was on sale, or I had a bit of extra cash, I'd buy some (I got a good tax return one year and I bought an 8 lb jug of Universal and an 8 lb. jug of WC 820 a military surplus new powder). Today I am running short of large pistol primers because I've been reloading and shooting 45 ACP a lot and have maybe 400 primed cases waiting, but other sizes I have a minimum of 4,000 of each size, small, large, standard, magnum, and rifle and pistol. I probably have 40 lbs of various powders and a 5 gal bucket full of 22 lr bricks and maybe 40-50 loose boxes. My age has slowed my shooting/reloading down so if I cannot restock at all, I probably can shoot at my present rate for 4-5 more years...

Not bragging or patting myself on the back, but sharing how easy it is to not get caught short and not having to panic buy every thing in sight and costing a month's wages...
    Smart guy. Exactly how I feel. This is only what, the 3rd panic in less than 10 years? Some people just never learn.

Boolit Bub
    I made one promise to my self during the Obama years that I will never get caught with my pants down again when it comes to reloading components. I’m doing great.

Boolit Master
    The first time I got caught by a shortage was a primer shortage in the late 70s IIRC. It hasn't happened since and I will not out live my current supply of primers, powder, lead, bullets or brass.
    There is an auction place near me that frequently has guns and reloading supplies and I have bought quite a few primers between 1 and 2 cents each. I still buy more at those prices no matter whether I think I need them or not. Also I have got a few real deals on other reloading stuff. I got a box of stuff with a Bonanza co-ax and a loading scale for $40. Didn't need either one but the price was right.
    Buy as much as you can when the price is right. Do not wait for a shortage to try to get something. I don't know when or what the next shortage will be about but I know more shortages are on the way. I would have never guessed TP but I had about 150 rolls when it started. Because of inflation prices will never get cheaper.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up 25,000 small pistol, 25,000 small rifle, 15,000 large pistol, 15,000 large rifle years ago before Obama started the ammo contracts towards the end of his term.
    Lesson learned. I should have bought more to replenish as I reloaded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast