WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: P-H 1861 Front Sight Help

Boolit Buddy

P-H 1861 Front Sight Help

I finally got a chance to shoot my Parker Hale 1861 carbine this weekend, and was pretty surprised that it shoots a fair group to center target at 50 yards with a Rapine minie and 65gr of FFg. I think this is due to a it’s getting a higher front sight at some point in its life. My problem is front sight definition, can anyone recommend a paint or coating in red or orange that sticks good to metal and might help my aging eyes? Perhaps white? There are remnants or red on the sight now. Going to try some different loads, but want to address the front sight first. I’ll try the NSSA shooters site if no one has any suggestions. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I use Acrylic Finger Nail powder to make front sight inserts and also to Raise the height of the front sight.
    You can order it in many colors and is mixed with the monomer liquid to a liquid or a paste.
    It dries very quickly and can be sanded to the shape you want.
    It may work as a paint on your existing sight

Boolit Grand Master

I too use fingernail polish. I buy a cheap bottle like at a dollar store. it's small, dries fast and comes with it's own brush. I just put it in my range box.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I second the Fingernail polish.
    That and those small bottles of car Touch Up paint.
    But there are more color selections in the nail polish , and are probably cheaper.

I bought a small (1 oz?) bottle of DayGlo hunter orange enamel paint for my Hawken that is highly visible.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

I carefully slit the blade of a front sight with a small knife edge needle file and glued in a fiber optic rod and NOW I can see something up front. This worked on my Smith and my Spencer and so far no one has even noticed without sighting the gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I carefully slit the blade of a front sight with a small knife edge needle file and glued in a fiber optic rod and NOW I can see something up front. This worked on my Smith and my Spencer and so far no one has even noticed without sighting the gun.
    Where can I get some of that rod?

Boolit Grand Master

Mine are spares that came with a brownells sight kit. PM me your address and I will send you a small stick.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I file a very small flat 45 degree angle on the rear tip of my front sights. They really catch the light that way.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    I finally got a chance to shoot my Parker Hale 1861 carbine this weekend, and was pretty surprised that it shoots a fair group to center target at 50 yards with a Rapine minie and 65gr of FFg. I think this is due to a it’s getting a higher front sight at some point in its life. My problem is front sight definition, can anyone recommend a paint or coating in red or orange that sticks good to metal and might help my aging eyes? Perhaps white? There are remnants or red on the sight now. Going to try some different loads, but want to address the front sight first. I’ll try the NSSA shooters site if no one has any suggestions. Thanks.
    This might be your ticket right here............https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/bright-sights.html
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Mine are spares that came with a brownells sight kit. PM me your address and I will send you a small stick.
    Thanks for your offer! PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m going to try this one, I’m guessing one color will work better than the others and I can try them all. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    This might be your ticket right here............https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/bright-sights.html

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot N-SSA with two PHs. One is a musketoon but neither of mine have the stock sights. You won't see any serious competitor with the stock military sights. As for coloring the sights, either black them with Sight Black or a RayVinn smoker or degrease with denatured alcohol and use an awful color fingernail polish from the dollar tree. The problem with colors is the changes in ambient light and possible different backstop compositions. A green might work fine in low light and a dirt backstop, but have a grassy slope for a backstop on a bright day and good luck.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor