Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why do Hornets come with a one in 16 twist rate?

Boolit Buddy

Why do Hornets come with a one in 16 twist rate?

Why do Hornets come with one in 16 twist?

First a confession. I've been shooting K Hornets for about 20 years and besides having all of the hanloading equipment for the K Hornet I just like the way the cartridge locks up in the chamber both with the rim and the shoulders bumping against the chamber. And I get totally unknown numbering of firings out of a case. So in all truth this is about a K Hornet. I hope I'm not offending anyone.

The only other twist to this is that I'll be running a suppressor and most of its life it will be pushing gas checked cast bullets in the 900 to 1,400 fps range and this project will be with a new purchase CZ 527.

The CZ comes with the common one in 16 twist barrel. I would like to have the flexibility to run heavier bullets as well as light one's. Currently I have the NOE 225-37 FN, Lyman 2660438 44 grain, 2660415 55 grain and the NOE 225-61-FN.

Wouldn't one in 12 twist rate make more sense? Thanks, Bill Cook

In my readings about the Hornet was "In the beginning" 22 LR barrels were used.

And in reality, not sure how heavy a boolit you can push with the case capacity, even with the MASSIVE K-Hornet case.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of early hornets were factory produced with 22 lr barrels and thus 1-16 and .222 groove. Later in the 50s and 60s ( the custom rifle sporterized era) a lot of small light action like the martini cadets were rechambered to 22 hornet using used 22 lr target barrels while unfit for target use they did just fine for varmints and such in these small light rifles.

There are rifling twist rate calculators on the web that take into account bullet weight / length, velocity giving the recommended twist rate. The original 1-16 will do some 50 grn at full hornet velocities. Id think a 1-14 would get close to or even handle 55 grn. 1-12 might get you to 65-75 grn even

Boolit Grand Master

"In my readings about the Hornet was "In the beginning" 22 LR barrels were used."

The first 22 hornets were built on Springfield M1922s by Griffin & Howe. The cartridge was developed at Springfield Armory by the ballisticians there including Townsend Whelen. Commercially first produced in 1930 by Winchester. I believe the Savage M23D was the first commercial rifle made in 22 Hornet. Because the 22 Hornet was intended to use 40 gr bullets the 16" twist of the original 22LR barrels was used.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    That makes perfect sense now that it’s explained that way. It’s just history repeating itself. And it I want a sub sonic 60 grain to wack something instead of a 40 grain I’ll just have to anti up a $grand, buy a reamer and re-barrel. Darn, these pipe dreams get expensive.

Boolit Buddy
    TC Contender barrels have a 1-12" twist, if that helps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    TC Contender barrels have a 1-12" twist, if that helps.
    That certainly explains why my old T/C carbine loves 55+ gr. CB's.

Boolit Master

It's inertia.

Why do most 44 Mag carbines have a very slow twist rate? Because that's what was using in the 44-40.

How come SAMMI has different bore sizes for 44 Mag carbines and 44 Mag handguns?

There's many things in the gun world that don't make a lot of sense. But it happens because that's the way we've always done it.
    NRA Benefactor.

I wouldnt just assume your barrel wont handle the heavier cast bullets without trying . I have a nice Marlin bolt action 22lr and it will shoot those 60 gr subsonic Aguila shells , nice round holes at 75 yds starts going squirrelly past that so it's right on the edge . With a bit more velocity your horent can make they may just work ok
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The 16 twist hornet will stabilize Hornady 60gr spire points just fine, with a stiff charge of Lil'Gun (around 680 fps). The k-hornet cannot handle Lil'Gun with heavy bullets (above 50gr). An interesting snippet; the standard hornet out performed the k-hornet until the advent of CFE Blackout. Now the k-hornet comes into its own.

Anyway, if velocity is required to stabilize heavier boolits in a 16 twist barrel then CFE Blackout might be the answer for the k-hornet.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    When the hornet was being developed the only barrels in the system were 22rf barrels with a 16: twist. Barrels like those on many of the 22rf target rifles such as the 52B Winchester and the breech end had to be large enough to be threaded for the 1903 springfield and Winchester low wall or the Winchester High wall. Frank