Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 PCP in .22. My new toy!

Boolit Buddy

Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 PCP in .22. My new toy!

I had recently bought a Benjamin Fortitude Gen 2 PCP rifle in ,22 cal and so far my impressions are the following:
    1. The rifle is very light 5+ punds near 6 pounds. I love this because I hate to carry a heavy gun in the woods unless I am in a tree stand.
    2. Since I already had the Benjamin Discovery and the hand-pump that I bought with it, the same pump works the same. Now, the Discovery is a nice gun also but it is a single shot and I have to fiddle dropping the pellet pointing the right direction and it is kind of loud.
    3. The Fortitude I've got is a shooter. I have a few types of pellets that I used with the Discovery in the past and the best combination was the Crossman Premier 14.3 gr HP pellet. I get a smaller that a dime ragged hole at about 45 to 50 feet (basement arrangement) and I am not even 100 rounds through it. I have read stories of shooting 500 rounds to break them in. I guess I am lucky with this one.
    4. I decided to up the power of the hammer spring to its maximum (6 full turns; two more than it came with). I purposely over did it until the gun would not charge the handle. Then I slowly brought it back to 6ish turns and left it there. It supposed to increase the velocity to 800 FPS.
    5. I have to admit, I thought the good groups were going to be re tuned; but it turned out it remain the same or even improved.

What is your experience with yours?
    Camba
    Last edited by Camba; 07-26-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: adding more

Boolit Master

Don't have one, but thanks for the report.
    Really great to get some info from someone who is not trying to sell them.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Even though I had been working through this pandemia, I could not go anywhere during the weekend to the shooting range because they were closed. That’s when I remember that I have some air guns. Some springers and the Discovery. I use the discovery because it had a scope. I thought about upgrading the discovery so it could use a 10 shot magazine. For $50 more I ended up getting the Fortitude. I still want to have a powerful gas piston break open rifle like the Hatsan 135 in .22 cal.
    I can’t wait for squirrel hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've got a Discovery with a repeater breech and a shroud, it's very similar to your Fortitude without a regulator. After installing a heavier mainspring and a little port tuning, it's pretty easy to hit 1,000fps with those inexpensive Crosman Premier domed 14.3gr pellets. However, accuracy falls off a bit at this power level, and the trigger pull gets a bit stiff; the sweet spot for me is around 920 fps or so which also gives an easy 2- 10-round mag's worth of shooting (and a more manageable trigger) before refilling is necessary. This is a really good platform, like you I prefer its weight-to-power ratio, it's a great squirrel hunter or plinker. It's quiet, powerful (enough) and with those Premier pellets a very inexpensive shooter!
    I've been considering adding one of those side-lever breeches to this setup, that should make the cocking effort more manageable and make a good platform even better.

Boolit Buddy

Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 PCP in .22. My new toy!

I also like my Discovery rifle. It is very accurate with the same pellets. I thought of just modifying it to allow a 10 shot magazine. I need a tool to drop the pellets ready in the chamber guide head first. My fingers with arthritis do not help. That is why I ended up with the Fortitude. Mainly because of the cost of the modification.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk