Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Progress with the .327

Progress with the .327

This SP 101 has been a problem child. It kept piercing primers. Went back to Ruger they honed the cylinder and took out my after market trigger return spring increasing the trigger pull 2 or 3 pounds. Anyway took it to the range today. Tried a 105 grain rnfp with 2400 as recommended by Outpost 75. Bore down on the last 4 rounds with all my snake eyed concentration. Also tried a 100 grain dewc. Making some progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used CCI 500 primers but still got some pierced primers: I went to magnum small pistol primers instead. FWIW, I have not been able to replicate the results that Brian Pearce got. He said Power pistol was great, but it has been a bust in my 4 revolvers. Likewise, CCI 500 primers were little better than WWSP. My best results have been with WWMSP primers and H-110. YMMV.
    I have 3 Single Sevens and a 4.2" SP101.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 07-26-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    FYI, I have the same gun and have had both primer piercing issues and stiff ejection at well below book max.

I really like the lighter trigger (with the Wolfe trigger return spring), but if a heavier spring fixes your primer piercing problems it is something worth knowing. On the other hand, I do not understand how the the trigger return spring can effect hammer rebound while their is pressure in the chamber. Looking at my gun, I am suspicious that I have an excessive gap between the back of the cylinder and the breech face.

I have also considered polishing the back ~3/8" of the cylinders due to the stiff ejection issue.

Please give the "fixed gun" a thorough test and report the results.

Ruger reamed the cylinder. They took out my trigger return spring because they wont let a gun out of their facility that is not in their spec.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My SP101 and single seven both pierce primers with WW primers
    Does yours still do it after they reamed the cylinder ?
    I would not have considered that as a fix for mine , but I have been surprised before.

It no longer pierces primers. They also replaced the firing pin and other parts. I got the distinct impression that this was not the first time they had dealt with this problem in this model. I was getting pierced primers with .32 long ammo. I would definitely reccomend calling Ruger about this issue.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Thumbcocker , I may do that , I need to put all my stock springs back in both guns .

Boolit Master

Have ya tried any heavies in it??

I have the single Sevens and both really like the 135 & 155g bullets!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

No heavy .32 molds.

Boolit Master

If ya would like maybe we can do a bullet swap Ill send ya some!

I have a fat Lyman 311440 and its a dandy in the 327!! Blue Dot powder has given great results. I stopped at 1050 simply cause I didn't "need" more. Then I bought a 135g designed for the S7 short cylinders. That one hit 1200 WO/ pressures in my 5.5". Also with Blue Dot.

PM me if your interested!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

That's good to hear they fixed the primer issue.

As for accuracy, one tip I can give is to not use red for a target. At least use a black dot. My personal preference is a black, upside down T. As odd as it sounds, it lines up better than a circle for me.

I too could never get any accuracy with power pistol. Not in any caliber, and I've tried it in just about every handgun I've had. I also never liked the light bullets in 327. I managed to get a 118 gr SWC to shoot great sometimes, then the next it would be junk. I've gotten good results at low target level loads, but nothing even approaching 32 h&r levels. The only light bullet I ever got to shoot good at full speed was the 100 grain XTP jacketed bullet. That with 13.2 grains H110 or 8 grains Bluedot shoots very well.

I really think that the 130 to 140 ish grain range is the sweet spot for accuracy with velocity, and I've gotten fantastic accuracy up to 148 grains with only a slight loss of velocity. I'm guessing you aren't looking for barn burner loads, but these heavier bullets are what the caliber really seems to like. Velocity spreads really settle down, and accuracy is much easier to get. Some, especially the single 7 crowd are using the Accurate 31-135S to great effect. The SP101 can run up to about a .415" nose, and my own accuracy bullet is currently the Accurate 31-137K. With the latter bullet loaded to 1.610" OAL, I'm using a Federal 100 primer, 7 grains Bluedot, and TAC 1 lube. This load shoots an average 7 shot group 3.05" (I'd have to double check, but should be close) at 50 yards in my 5" gp100. My 3" SP101 with adjustable sights is not far behind. At around 1225 fps, this is a good do all load.

I would have been thrilled if this gun was available in .32 H&R. I have a .30 carbine blackhawk if I want screaming loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I would have been thrilled if this gun was available in .32 H&R. I have a .30 carbine blackhawk if I want screaming loads.
    You can easily shoot 32 H&R non-magnum rounds in a 327 Fed Mag revolver... you just can't go the other way. Unless you feel like the gun is too big (or bigger than needed for your application) the slightly longer chamber would be of no disadvantage. Don't let the chambers being a little "too deep" deter you.

My custom stainless K frame 327 gets fed a lot of 32 S&W Longs because that's what I've been loading a lot lately. But then I can pull boxes of 32 H&R wannabes or 327 Fed (real) Magnums off the shelf for whatever power level I want at the moment.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"