PBcastcoTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Marlin, Ranch Dog, and 4227

Marlin, Ranch Dog, and 4227

I've been trying to coax some decent accuracy out of my 1975 vintage Marlin 94. It hates 2400 and isn't real fond of 296. Finally tried some 4227. This is about the best I've gotten so far. Suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    I would say that is pretty dang good, especially the second group.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    ive been trying for a while with a modern one and havent gotten any better sized groups

That's with optics? Not bad for iron sights. The one thing that may help is to pound slug the throat and size accordingly, microgroove barrels generally run fat and going to .434 or .435 may be a game changer. Good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm at .434 with an optic and mid range 4227......

Boolit Master
    I’m with sghart3578, good iron sight groups from that rifle. You might want to try 22 gr H-110 which has worked well for me in 44 magnum in other rifles. My experience with the Marlin is in .41 Magnum, though, and I would be happy with that grouping.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    The one thing that may help is to pound slug the throat and size accordingly
    The only thing i found from doing that is they dont have throats.

Boolit Master

You may want to try to step it up and go to a max load safely. Some guns won't shoot well unless their hair is on fire. Just make sure that there aren't any signs of pressure and work your way up. Separate out your brass. I ended up buying a few hundred stare line just for that reason. It makes a big difference. I also use a Lee collet crimp die (didn't know they existed) https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...tyle-crimp-die. All this and I have about an inch and a half to two inches at 100 yards. 2400 powder and https://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-mold...d=89&limit=100 gc boolit. I also have the NOE 300 g that shoot great too.

That is with a 2x7 Nikon.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I have that same vintage 1894 44 mag. Marlin, same mold and a few pounds of IMR 4227. You saved me some work. I plan on using as cast as I don’t have a sizing die for that size.

Boolit Buddy
    Those groups look dang good at 100!
    I do notice something that may or may not be load related. First group is mostly all horizontal and second is vertical. Neither is a round group. While certainly not definitive, the 1st group especially tells me something else may be going on than just the load. Lots of horizontal and very little vertical.

I just ran the numbers with an ASSUMED 1400 fps and NOE's calculated BC for that bullet. Even a mere 5mph (easy to miss the call on) wind will move you almost 2 inches.

I'd run that 1st group again personally. I like the tight vertical it's holding.

Looks like some good shooting and good loads!

Boolit Buddy
    Sooooo,, who can see that " little " white dot at a 100yds. ??????? Good shooting.

more coffee ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

I dont do 43 Mag but you have more powder
    Choices for sure!!!

Good ol Unique and 5744 off the top Of my head. Both work very well For me in the 45 Colt of similar volume and bullet weight. Unique especially has been real good for all the the fastest bullet speeds. (Something learned with time is that velocity isnt tantamount to a good lod.)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    You may want to try to step it up and go to a max load safely. Some guns won't shoot well unless their hair is on fire. Just make sure that there aren't any signs of pressure and work your way up. Separate out your brass. I ended up buying a few hundred stare line just for that reason. It makes a big difference. I also use a Lee collet crimp die (didn't know they existed) https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...tyle-crimp-die. All this and I have about an inch and a half to two inches at 100 yards. 2400 powder and https://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-mold...d=89&limit=100 gc boolit. I also have the NOE 300 g that shoot great too.
    I would also try to kick it up a bit. I have a Henry .44 with 1-38 twist that does not like mid range loads either. It likes just under maximum with almost any powder. I beleive its the slow twist in these rifles that causes it. JMO

I don’t have a scope on my 70’s vintage 1894 so I am dealing with a front bead sight that works great for minute of deer out to 150 yards. It will probably completely cover a paper plate at 100 yards. I’ll need to think of a different target for sure. A 44 265 grain bullet 1400 FPS out the muzzle will drop deer deader than dead with an audible “womp!”

Do you have any Blue Dot to test?

How hard are your boolits?
    On the Lyman 429421 I used my 78 94 44 liked those hard. WDCOWWS worked well.
    I recently got the NOE version of the RD265 gr but haven't shoot any yet.
    Leo

ACWW

Boolit Master
    100 group like that is fine .200 yards next.