MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: A New Burner, part 2. Happy

A New Burner, part 2. Happy

Thought I would start anew as New Burner pretty much ran it's course and my questions were answered by you all.

The Burner/Fryer I finally chose was this one; https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Portab...VV5C3H66N22JQK , and Amazon did a great job again. It arrived
    a day early and package was intact!

I must say that upon opening this and inspection that I am more than impressed. The actual burner is much more substantial than I imagined. The frame/stand is also not too shabby. It will support my hefty 200+ lbs. and I didn't feel as it I was going to tip over or collapse. Now that was also with just the short legs under it.

The first trial go with it was with 40lbs of the range scrap I just collected yesterday. I also used my newly cut helium tank pot. The pot fits the burner very well and I did also have to turn the gas valve down a good bit or as best I could tell I was just blowing flames everywhere and wasting a lot of fuel and heat. I also did find that a 9.5" cake pan fits just nicely on top of the tank/pot. In total it took me about 1 hour to melt, skim jackets and then flux with shells and then X2 with wax and pour ingots.

After this first run I have a couple issues to deal with. I need more ingot molds as expected, need longer utensils or I think I may need to shorten this pot by a couple inches.

I have a bunch of pictures now but I need to upload then and then resize them to fit the website. Got it still running so I need to return to it. Will add more thoughts and comments later!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	265328

Name:	tank 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	265329

Name:	tank 5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	265330

1. Fryer all together with the tank on top.
    2. pot melted and skimmed.
    3. makeshift work bench with tool of destruction.

Now I'm going to have to learn how to control the temps and how low I can go before the melt starts to freeze up again. Also think I need a bigger wind screen.

Boolit Master

my wife needs a new burner for canning, does this one feel stable with your pot of lead or does it wobble a bit. how nice was the flame.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Try slotting a coffee can to fit around the grates only going high enough to where it's just short of touching cut out the bottom of the can like sawteeth around the perimeter and bend them out to touch the pot. the bottom of the pot
    with range scrap you need to flux at least 3 times with candle wax, wax helps get the lead off the jackets.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 07-26-2020 at 07:32 PM.

As you can see in the photo my patio is concrete squares, I was able to find a spot where all four feet were making contact and even with me, 200+lbs. standing on it, it did not wobble one bit. With 40lbs. of lead in that 9.5" diameter pot I had to turn the gas way down or I was just wasting fuel. It had completely melted out all those scrap bullets in about 1/2hr and that was at about 1/2 power level. This fryer has more than exceeded my expectations!

Boolit Buddy
    How are you going with prolonged smelts, are you loosing pressure or icing up the bottles, my burner is a bit bigger than yours and it was a problem I had when doing long smelts, in the end I manifolded two bottles together it solved the problem

Banned
    don't let the lead get too hot!!! 842° F is where it starts to emit toxic fumes.

Nice setup, before you know it you'll be upgrading the pot and doing 150-200# at a time LOL

Boolit Master
    Just to ask, when you were turning up and down the gas valve were you adjusting the air gate, the hour glass cutout plate where the hose enters the burner on the front? I have to adjust both as I go when doing either a turkey or lead to stabilize the flame for the best efficiency. All blue to white... no sooty orange.

Burner ran for just over an hour, maybe 1:20 at most and no icing or pressure loss.

I don't think I will be getting to a 100# batch anytime soon. Right now I have about 150# of range scrap and that is about as much as I can physically handle collecting. So 3 50# batches works just fine. Also I can harvest at-will so if I can collect enough to get through winter that also works.

Didn't have to do a lot of adjustment after I got going. flame stayed pretty stable from what I could tell with the air open full I could only turn the gas up about 2/3 or the flame was wickedly high and out of control for my pot, just wasting gas.

Boolit Master
    Nice find .
    Looks like a good choice to me.

A wind shield that goes all the way around the pot keeps more of the heat around the pot. This keeps it a bit cooler for you.
    Your pot being 9.5 " in diameter perhaps a piece of 10 " chimney pipe will work.
    Leo

Boolit Bub
    kmw1954 where about in SE Wisconsin?
    I don't personally know anyone else that casts around my area. Wondering how close we might be.

Russel A I'm on the Kenosha/Walworth border and just north of Flat Land. So where abouts are you?

Boolit Bub
    Same here maybe a mile from country thunder.

Nice rig...It's similar to mine except I used a cut Propane tank....and GRMPS....I never thought to use an old coffee can as a wind shield on the burner...I've been using short plywood pieces on the outside of the burner stand...it is not very effective to say the least...

Ya never know what you'll learn on this forum on any given day.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by russel a View Post
    same here maybe a mile from country thunder.
    pm. Your way.

Banned
    Here's how I made mine. Nothing beats a turkey fryer for melting lead.

Quote Originally Posted by joe leadslinger View Post
    Here's how I made mine. Nothing beats a turkey fryer for melting lead.
    Very nice!