Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: New to 310 Tools

Boolit Mold

New to 310 Tools

Howdy folks, I’m new to the reloading world in general and I’ve somehow got into the 310 tools. Figured I’d post my process for loading bp 45 Colt and ask for any knowledge or advice the more experienced may have.

I’m using Winchester brass and primers, 30 grains by volume of FFF Pyrodex (need to get some Goex), Hornady .454 round ball/220 grain Lee conical, felt wads, bp lube (50/50 crisco and beeswax).
    I’ve experimented a bit and I figure 30 grains is plenty, I have loaded up to 40 though.

For round ball I prime, charge using my powder flask with a ~30 grain spout, 2 dry wads over the powder and 1 lubed on top, seat the ball and crimp in separate steps otherwise it looks like a 44-40 case instead of 45LC, clean of excess lube and it good to go.

For the conicals the process is the exact same except I only use 1 lubed wad between the powder and bullet and I can set and crimp in the same step without getting the crimp from hell.

(Note: I know I’ve got a long necked 310 that’s not made for pistol cartridges, I’m in search of a short neck still.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	645E51E5-A3F2-412C-ADC3-A9576D5BC68C.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	265304

Boolit Grand Master

Good going, but you really don't need wads in pistol cartridges and BP. I use Goex in my 44-40's and never a wad. I am using a big lube boolit though so all my lube is on the boolit.

Loading that way will cause you to be very appreciative when you get a press, even if it is a TrueLine Jr so you can use the same dies.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Welcome to the forum, Trimble. Lots of knowledge and ideas here, and it looks like you're already contributing to both. Wow-- 310 Tools, what can I say? You'll find a lot of past treads about them with a "search" of the forum site. I was crazy about them maybe 10 years ago, almost a collector, and still have a tool chest full of them. But, as time passes and folks seem to be becoming interest in them again, good dies are harder to get and more expensive. What make/model/barrel length are you shooting your custom .45 LC ammo in?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Good going, but you really don't need wads in pistol cartridges and BP. I use Goex in my 44-40's and never a wad. I am using a big lube boolit though so all my lube is on the boolit.

Loading that way will cause you to be very appreciative when you get a press, even if it is a TrueLine Jr so you can use the same dies.
    I use the wads for lube instead of lubing bullets, especially for round ball, plus it compresses the powder. Is compressing the powder important in bp cartridges or? I do have a couple of adapters to put my 310 dies in a standard press.
    Last edited by Trimble; 07-27-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Currently I’m shooting them out of my snake gun, a polymer framed Taurus Judge. This is the only time I’ve ever shot 45 out of it actually. I’m waiting a a Kirst conversion for my Uberti Remington clone that has a 5 1/2” barrel. Looking to get a 45 Colt lever gun as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the 310 World! It sounds like you’ve gotten off to a pretty good start already. I would strongly suggest that you either use “real” BP such as GOEX or Swiss, or stick to smokeless. I find Pyrodex and other BP “substitutes” to be more messy and corrosive than the original stuff... YMMV, but that’s my limited experience, and since I shoot N-SSA events where they allow BP only, I just don’t fool with subs at all.

Another point you may need to consider is that 310 dies neck size only, which if you are just shooting one gun is usually fine, but with three such disparate chambers as will be found in the three guns you mention, you may need to full length size your cases or get enough to have a dedicated lot for each gun. Lyman used to make a push-in sizer to go with the 310 tool, and a couple of reloading manufacturers sell a carbide die to go in your (full size) press. Just be aware that as your armory grows you may need one or the other.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, compression is important with real BP. Less so with the artificial ones. Basically a lack of any air space is minimal. GOEX tends to like a little more compression than other BP's.

You have an adaptor, do you also have a press? A lot of people shooting 45 Colt look for the old steel dies because the carbide dies tend to size too much. If you don't have a press look at the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage press. By far the best deal for the money on the market today.

I have no idea of your living situation, but before the boys grew up all my reloading stuff, press (RCBS Jr3) and scale and powder measure and dies and components all fit in a traveling salesman's case that I came across. I would set the press up on the dining table (towel between table top and press, board between clamps and underside of table) and load what I needed, put everything away, and we would eat dinner at the table. It all fit on the floor of a closet. My point is that it can be done with a press in limited conditions. Creative thinking is all it takes.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I find Pyrodex and other BP “substitutes” to be more messy and corrosive than the original stuff...

Another point you may need to consider is that 310 dies neck size only, which if you are just shooting one gun is usually fine, but with three such disparate chambers as will be found in the three guns you mention, you may need to full length size your cases or get enough to have a dedicated lot for each gun.
    I have heard that the real stuff is less corrosive, I can’t find anywhere local to buy it. I’m not 21 yet so I can’t get it off of Midway.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimble View Post
    I have heard that the real stuff is less corrosive, I can’t find anywhere local to buy it. I’m not 21 yet so I can’t get it off of Midway.
    Your profile doesn’t give your location, but there are reenactors and skirmishes as well as muzzle loading enthusiasts pretty much all over the country. You should be able to find them eith a little searching and get hooked up with a supply of “real” gunpowder. Where are you?

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    I’m in Central Arkansas.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You have an adaptor, do you also have a press?
    My father in law has a rock chucker I use from time to time to reload my .308. He’s the one that got me into reloading.

I originally uploaded this to youtube back in 2011. Never could find any videos of it at that time so I made my own.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting, Savvy Jack. I would have enjoyed a bit of narration to explain what you were doing each step but the photography was excellent. Do you shoot them in a rifle or revolver?

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Interesting, Savvy Jack. I would have enjoyed a bit of narration to explain what you were doing each step but the photography was excellent. Do you shoot them in a rifle or revolver?

Froggie
    Yeah, I can understand that but never got any feedback at the time so I never went further.

This one came out after mine from Duelist, he went into more depth....that is when I just deleted mine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7JQgqnY6Uk

I loaded for both revolver and rifle, same load of BP was used in both.

Also, you might can try here for the 44-40: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/handloading
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-28-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Trimble - go see Jerry at Powder, Inc. in Clarksville. Believe me, they have all the black powder you'll ever need!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    Trimble - go see Jerry at Powder, Inc. in Clarksville. Believe me, they have all the black powder you'll ever need!
    Thanks. I did actually manage to find a place in NLR, The Muzzleloader Shop, has got a good variety of things.