RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 1894 Winchester extractor

Boolit Buddy

1894 Winchester extractor

I picked up a late 60’s 1894 in 44-40 cheap and the action is pretty atrocious. I have slicked up and modified several dozen 1892/clones for CAS but never touched an 1894.

First issue I see (and may not be one) is that the extractor nose is raised over an 1/8” when the bolt closes home without a shell. It’s obviously hitting the ramped cut in the barrel. Most guns there is no raising unless there is a shell rim to get over. Is this not the case with an 1894? Other wise I will modify the extractor or get the caping chisel our for the groove.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a '94 in 44-40! Learn something every day!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I had not either until this one. It’s one of those gold plated special editions, Cheyenne

I am sure now that I won’t use it for CAS due to the fact that the lever needs to be squeezed to engage the trigger. But I still will slick it up.

Hi firebrick-- I have a '94 in .44-40 purchased in the mid-90s if I remember correctly, a "Trails End" edition. I have several in .30-30 also, so I did a check to see with a round loaded in the chamber. The .30-30 remains flush with the top of the bolt, but the .44-40's extractor is raised a little. The rim on the .44-40 is a bit larger in diameter, so that might account for it. Does your '94 extract and eject properly?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I does function correctly in extraction / ejection. It is having feeding issues around the 7th round or so. It’s also rougher than a cob as it cycles.

Does your 44/40 raise the ejector with “NO” round in the chamber? That Ian what I am seeing in this rifle that I find odd

No, that's loaded. Might be that yours is gummy. Maybe if you disassemble it and give it a cleaning it will sit flush empty.

Could also put a drop of solvent into the recess and scrape a bit with a small screwdriver. Might be some crud in there.

Boolit Buddy
    unfortunately its clean, as its NIB. Either the slot in the barrel was not cut deep enough or the extractor is to long. Its only lifting as the extractor hits the slot.

Well, if it works, I'd leave it alone. I sure wouldn't file any off the extractor hook, which might then be too short to extract. If it really bugs you, try swapping it out for another part. If you determine that the recess is not cut deep enough you can correct the condition by cutting it larger/deeper with a Dremel and some properly shaped grinding burrs and stones, but since it's new I don't think I'd do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrick43 View Post
    I does function correctly in extraction / ejection. It is having feeding issues around the 7th round or so. It’s also rougher than a cob as it cycles.

Does your 44/40 raise the ejector with “NO” round in the chamber? That Ian what I am seeing in this rifle that I find odd
    It should not do what you describe - when it closes empty there should be enough room in that slot to accomodate the extractor

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Der Gebirgsjager;4949942]Well, if it works, I'd leave it alone.

yes to that

you can correct the condition by cutting it larger/deeper with a Dremel

No to the dremel !!!! a thousand times NO !!!!!!