Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Oven Trays

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Oven Trays

So many times when I went to slide in a tray of PCed boolits, it would stick a little causing boolits to fall over and often the dreaded domino effect. Subsequently, I have been placing all boolits on the tray in place. This ends up being very inefficient because I can’t get many in the back easily.

My small oven does not have racks just a tray to slide in and out. I use a silicone pad on top of it. I’ve thought about trying some graphite or maybe I need to keep the tray in place and get a second one to put the boolits on to slide on top.

Any other ideas? Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Silicone mini ice cube trays. They hold 160 boolits of 9mm or smaller size. Anything bigger than that tends to stay standing up for me during the sliding of the tray.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'd consider buying a more convenient oven to use. I gave $28 for a B&D convection oven with 2 slide in racks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    So many times when I went to slide in a tray of PCed boolits, it would stick a little causing boolits to fall over and often the dreaded domino effect. Subsequently, I have been placing all boolits on the tray in place. This ends up being very inefficient because I can’t get many in the back easily.

My small oven does not have racks just a tray to slide in and out. I use a silicone pad on top of it. I’ve thought about trying some graphite or maybe I need to keep the tray in place and get a second one to put the boolits on to slide on top.

Any other ideas? Thanks
    That is one of the reasons I quit PC and went with Hi-Tek, every one has to do what works best for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    Silicone mini ice cube trays. They hold 160 boolits of 9mm or smaller size. Anything bigger than that tends to stay standing up for me during the sliding of the tray.

I've tried the silicone mini ice cube tray, and it works very well.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I've tried the silicone mini ice cube tray, and it works very well.
    I also have had success with the silicone mini ice cube trays.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned
    If you don't want to risk toppling bullets when you move a tray around, start w/ a cold oven. Put your tray in all the way. Place your bullets working back to front. When they're all in, close the door and start the heat.

Most likely the powder will reach flow out before the oven hits cure temp. Let it cook. When it hits cure temp start a timer...most powders will be fully cured 12-15 mins later.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Power View Post
    If you don't want to risk toppling bullets when you move a tray around, start w/ a cold oven. Put your tray in all the way. Place your bullets working back to front. When they're all in, close the door and start the heat.

Most likely the powder will reach flow out before the oven hits cure temp. Let it cook. When it hits cure temp start a timer...most powders will be fully cured 12-15 mins later.
    That’s what I do now. The only problem is the oven is small and I find it hard to set them up all the way in the back. I think I am going to try putting them on a second metal sheet and sliding it in on top of he normal tray. There should be less resistance and they will slide in smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    Silicone mini ice cube trays. They hold 160 boolits of 9mm or smaller size.
    Are you saying the powder rubs off if larger than 9mm (like .40) just doesn't fit?
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Can you trim the edges of your tray, to make it narrower?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Are you saying the powder rubs off if larger than 9mm (like .40) just doesn't fit?
    I haven't tried any .40 yet, but 9mm fits snugly in mine so I don't think there is any way that .40s would fit, wedged in it not.

Banned
    get a second one to put the boolits on to slide on top. I'd do this

Boolit Master
    All depends on the oven and the racks/pans. The cheap Aluminum pans will 'grab'. See if you can find a steel pan that will fit. You might also need to polish/sand/grind off some edges of the rack and pan to make them glide smoother.

I stand up long 210gn .308 rifle bullets to go in my cheap toaster oven. Have to do it carefully but I have the rack/pan thing pretty smooth at this point.

One hint that I use. Pull the rack out about 1/3 of the way. Put the pan on the rack. Then use the door of the over to push the rack/pan into place. The extra leverage makes it easier to be smooth.

I also use one of those silicone baking sheets in the bottom of the pan (cut to fit). The bullets seem to 'stick' to it a little better than just standing them up on the bare metal of the pan.

FYI, I only put 40-50 bullets on the pan at a time.