Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Odd Colt SSA modifications

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Odd Colt SSA modifications

Anyone ever see a modification like this to a Colt single action before?

I picked this one up last night for 250 bucks. Serial number puts it as being built in 1902. Barrel and cylinder are in good shape and it locks up tight.

Might just try to slap some sights on it, or use is as a Doner gun for a Keith #5. My guess is it had a adjustable rear added at some point in the past and a ramped front, probably whenever it was reblued and they have since been removed somewhere along the line.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDD5ye8J...d=5ldlcykqa80n

Vendor Sponsor

Dude, you should be ashamed of yourself taking candy from a baby! You STOLE that one! Back in the day John Kopec would have that top strap welded back and you wouldn't ever know it. Front sight re soldered on and whatever finish work needed to be done that would make an excellent shooter. I would offer you double what you paid for it sight unseen! PM sent btw...
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-26-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Wow, one heck of a deal!

No, I’ve never seen such a modifiction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the fifties, Some folks removed the front sight for fast draw competition, but the screw holes? That's a new one on me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Caliber? I keep looking at getting it re welded back to original and a proper front sight installed.

Boolit Master
    Would guess some dolt put an optic on his Colt. For $250.00 you have some leeway on what you want to do. I would call Hamilton Bowen and get his take on it before doing anything. The grip frame has been messed with too as they were fitted way better at the factory than what is shown. Poor old Colt, needs some TLC.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Is the trigger guard Colt ? Grips look like they could be Great Western and might explain the fit of the frame if it's not original to the gun. Great deal either way since several of the parts on that gun , in good condition, will bring individually what you gave for the whole thing.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Former movie gun?

Seems like I remember some early black and white westerns that I noticed had missing front sights on some of the actors guns...

Don’t even start with asking me which ones....lol.
    Do your own research and report back....grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Is the trigger guard Colt ? Grips look like they could be Great Western and might explain the fit of the frame if it's not original to the gun. Great deal either way since several of the parts on that gun , in good condition, will bring individually what you gave for the whole thing.
    The grips are definitely not original. The grip frame matches the frame serial number in both places. However, I just discovered this morning that the barrel numbers do not match. Someone told me that the scroll marking on top of the barrel stopped way before 1900, and where to locate the serial number on the barrel. Sure enough, the barrel has a 4 digit

Well, I’ve been researching stuff for about 3 days now.

My frame, and grip frame are all matching and date to 1902, as a smokeless proofed frame.

The barrel is very early, 4 digit serial number, marked and stamped as leaving the factory in 1874 as a 7.5 inch barrel, and was sent out on a Calvary revolver. I was able to find some records that this barrel was possibly used in the battle of little big horn. Somewhere along the lines the barrel was cut down to 5 and quarter inches. This may have been done around the time it was put on this frame, and the gun could have seen service in the Moro Rebellion as well.

Or the barrel may have been put on this frame, along with the cylinder to convert to to a different caliber around the time that the top strap was milled down. The barrel and cylinder have much nicer finish then the frame and grip frame, but the cylinder does not have military markings.

Either way, for the back sight I’ve decided to go a bit redneck for now and get my hands on a old barrel sight off of a marlin or some such, that has the elevation slide in the middle. I’ll take that sight and cut it down to fit the flat top on the frame and use a couple screws through the elevation slot to screw it on. Then I can figure out how tall I need the front sight and solder a new front sight or ramp on it. Unfortunately I don’t have any old sights laying around to cut at the moment, so this project is on hold until I can order one from midway.

This is definitely one of those guns that I wish could talk. I bet it has a heck of a story seeing as it may have seen military service all the way through Ww1.

Also, as a side note, comparing photos, the top milling job seems to mostly likely to have been done by Christy back in the day and it probably had a micro sight like this installed on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDISBbOJ...=147hopodxzxg7

Maybe the photo angle- but the top strap milling doesn't appear to be square( to me). But you definitely got a good deal. It's history is basically meaningless now, not being mean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Needs some TLC from someone like Alan Harton or Eddie Jannis

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agree it looks like a somebody's customized jack rabbit slayer and rock buster, but you stole it. Might be easiest to obtain a replacement barrel with factory sight already installed, and then do a swap and file front sight to zero with the Micro. MUCH less gunsmithing. Any real Colt SA which has been dragged behind a galloping pony down a mile of bad gravel road is worth $1000. You didn't mention the caliber, but it doesn't matter. A great find your heirs will treasure.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Them holes there are for mounting a light. They didn’t have picatinny rails back then, and kerosene lanterns aren’t compatible with picatinny rails either.

I was able to find some suitable sights, which are on the way. After that I just need to deal with the cylinder play back and forth on the pin and it should be a good shooter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDMpjxNp...=1vczqt1rdnjyx

Well, finally got around to getting the sights mounted on it. The front sight was a major pain with the way I had to solder it on, which I am not good at, but I finally got it.

This group was fired at about 7 paces with cheap factory ammo. I’m willing to bet the ol boy will shoot pretty good with proper fit soft lead bullets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDdLFeMJ...d=c41la1yoqmhs

I would offer this up for your consideration,

That 1874 barrel is not going to handle smokeless powder very well strength wise. Also the cylinder should have a set of numbers as well ... if it dates back to blackpowder era it will not handle smokeless either.

Great group tho.

I also think I would find a 1900's barrel with front sight, I have seen several on ebay for fair prices. Another thing is to pay attention to that cylinder to ensure it is a smokeless steel cylinder ... this might just be the most important thing to consider.

Later on when your very cool find winds up in other hands from disaster or old age ... it would be a real shame to have another person consider it a smopkeless revolver and blow it up harming them or another bystander.

I also am with Doug ... I would make a handsome offer if you are of a mind to pass it along ... by the by ... what caliber is it?

Now it looks like a pseudo King conversion- it’s a shooter, too. Looks like a .45 to me.