Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Questions and opinions CZ70 vs. 85bb

Boolit Master

Questions and opinions CZ70 vs. 85bb

I own a very clean CZ70, I have done the load development work that I wanted to do for 32ACP. I enjoy the gun, but it also drives me nuts. The trigger is not great and I don't think it can be made great. The gun is super clean and does not have any importers marks. But, it is not a gun that I would carry or drag out just for the fun of it. Very seldom do I consider parting with a gun, but I have been known to do it from time to time.

Replacement? I am considering an 85BB. Better trigger, better ft/lbs, similar capacity. It would be a full size partner to my 911 as well.

Looking for opinions pro or con...

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have not had a cz85 BD but I have experience with the CZ75 b and they are wonderful guns the base models come with a fairly heavy military trigger but there are parts available to make them excellent . I think the main difference in the 85 and 75 is ambidextrous controls .

Boolit Master
    Forgot about the CZ85, I assume you are talking about the Beretta 85 series guns showing up surplus. If I were you I would go with the 81 in 32 or 84 in 380, they are very slightly thicker in the grip and half the cost.
    To answer directly, I have never had the CZ, but the ones I have handled did not call to me. I do have the Berettas 81BB,84BB, and an 86. I love the Berettas and for the current cost of a surplus 81 series gun , well that CZ would find another home if that’s what it took to get the Beretta. I saw 2 of the 85BB guns last week, both were best of 10 and both were in very nice condition. Like I said, I would spend less and get the double stack 81 or 84, but the 85 is a fine gun as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I am not sure if he is asking about CZ 85 a double stack 9mm ,
    or a beretta 85 he did not mention Beretta but that may be what he is asking about.

Boolit Master

I am asking about the Beretta 85BB in 380. I have found a very reasonable 85BB not far from me and am concerned about adding another not often used or purposed gun. I know, sacrilege.

Boolit Master
    That helps CZ made a model 85 also

Boolit Grand Master
    Personally, I'd get the BERETTA 85BB and not look back. The trigger is far superior, and those open top Berettas are as reliable as a pistol can be. I have an 81. a Tomcat and an 84bb and they are excellent. Not pocket pistols, save maybe for the Tomcat but fun guns that have double-stack magazines that give you 4 or 5 rounds more than the CZ 70.

Just to be clear, the CZ70 (also known as VZ-70) is a compact, Walther PP wannabe, originally designed after WW II as a police service pistol as the CZ-50 and re-vamped in 1970 to improve it. It is in the same general class as the Beretta 85, in that it is a single stack, 8 shot DA/SA compact pistol, but the upside down safety--up is off, down is on--and the awful trigger make it a poor choice in my view, at least compared to the Beretta. That is, if you were contemplating using it as a personal defense weapon. If it's just a range toy, then you pays your money and takes your choice,
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Personally, I'd get the BERETTA 85BB and not look back. The trigger is far superior, and those open top Berettas are as reliable as a pistol can be. I have an 81. a Tomcat and an 84bb and they are excellent. Not pocket pistols, save maybe for the Tomcat but fun guns that have double-stack magazines that give you 4 or 5 rounds more than the CZ 70.

Just to be clear, the CZ70 (also known as VZ-70) is a compact, Walther PP wannabe, originally designed after WW II as a police service pistol as the CZ-50 and re-vamped in 1970 to improve it. It is in the same general class as the Beretta 85, in that it is a single stack, 8 shot DA/SA compact pistol, but the upside down safety--up is off, down is on--and the awful trigger make it a poor choice in my view, at least compared to the Beretta. That is, if you were contemplating using it as a personal defense weapon. If it's just a range toy, then you pays your money and takes your choice,
    Agreed.

Boolit Master

I love the cz50s but the cz70 was supposed to be an improvement but I don't think so. My 1950 dated one is a great shooter. That said for OPs intent I think the Beretta 85BB would be a nice addition. As I type this I'm trying to blow thru 3000rds of 9x18mm out of a Bulgarian Makarov. Wish I had another Polish PM63 or Stechkin to shoot this up.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'