Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love fresh cucumbers

I love fresh cucumbers

I have a brown thumb so I don't have a vegetable garden. A good friend of mine has given me cukes from his garden. I peel and slice them and eat some of the raw cucumber. The rest of the slice are covered in 50% vinegar and 50% watet mix with a very small amount of table sugar. Store in the fridge over night and then eat all of them before my wife finds them.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Hard to beat fresh made danish cucumbers!

Boolit Master

This week I planted a large number of "pickle bush" cucumbers for September pickle making. My grand kids and I make up a couple of hundred pints of various pickles for the rest of the family. We also do up about 50 pints of pickled okra and freeze 30-40 half pints of pesto for christmas presents.

Boolit Master

I always plant 3 hills of an English type cucumber called "Summer Dance'
    My wife will eat one every day.
    I have pickling cukes planted this year, 3 rows.
    We only need to make pickles every 3-4 years.

Boolit Grand Master

You don't need a green thumb to grow cucumbers . They grow like weeds .
    I once picked up a 4-pack of small plants ... I only wanted one plant but all they had was the 4-packs.
    So 4 plants went in the ground along our chain link fence . Those cursed plants too over and covered the fence , making more cucumbers than I knew what to do with . There was no way a few people could consume all the cucumbers those plants made ...no way !!! Sooo... I started making pickles ...sweet , dill , sour , fermented , mustard pickles ...pickle relishes , sweet , dill , hamburger relish , hot dog relish (this was pretty good) ... I gave away so many cucumbers friends would avoid me . The saddest part is for all the effort I put into making good pickles... they sucked ... my dear sweet wife who loves dill pickles wouldn't eat mine . I wish she had told me sooner because I put a lot of time and effort into making a good pickle thinking they would be eaten and appreciated by all , They weren't ...but this story is to show that cucumbers are easier to grow than anything ... stick them in the ground alongside a fence and stand back !!! It doesn't take any skill at all ...at least not in my back yard .
    By the way...I've never planted or even wanted to plant another cucumber vine in my life .. I just buy Mickle's Pickles when I want a pickle ...he makes them so much better than I do !
    No Pickle Maker
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Love cukes, sliced skin on dipped in ranch or with salt and pepper. Sliced and mixed wit sliced onion then covered with cider vinegar, add some pickling spice, or dill, or whatever floats your boat. Salt/black pepper(I use whole peppercorns) to taste also. Put in fridge at least 24 hours, keeps a couple weeks easy and gets better with time. Makes a great side dish. Can use 50/50 Miracle Whip/vinegar also.

Boolit Master

Been making a "garden pico" kinda stuff that the wife loves over fresh cucumbers. Finely diced tomatoe, onion, and jalapeņos with a bit of salt, garlic and dill weed and a heavy dose of lime juice for acidity. Not a fan of tomatoe myself, but she loves putting it over cukes for lunch.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by kenblacksmith View Post
    I thought you had to hit the cat on the head with a cuke. Live and learn.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 07-27-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Last year I planted 3 rows 120 ft long and had to beg friends & family to pick them. Had a hard time getting anyone to return, not because of the quality but because of the large quantity. Cut back to 2 rows this year, just picked the first handful yesterday, and ate for supper last night. Nothing like fresh ones! The ones about 1 1/4" diameter are the favorite as the seeds are small and they are about the right density. Too big an the density goes down and the seeds start to give a bitter taste. We have them various ways & my all time favorite is as a topping in Chicken Shawarma.

Boolit Master
    It is funny. I do not like cucumbers but I love pickles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    Last year I planted 3 rows 120 ft long and had to beg friends & family to pick them. Had a hard time getting anyone to return, not because of the quality but because of the large quantity. Cut back to 2 rows this year, just picked the first handful yesterday, and ate for supper last night. Nothing like fresh ones! The ones about 1 1/4" diameter are the favorite as the seeds are small and they are about the right density. Too big an the density goes down and the seeds start to give a bitter taste. We have them various ways & my all time favorite is as a topping in Chicken Shawarma.
    "How to loose friends and alienate family members" ... plant 360 feet of cucumbers...
    Holy Sheep !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I love cukes, but for me it is all about the tomato. I eat so many that I get acid sores in my mouth and well you can imagine the rest.

Boolit Grand Master

Blah! Underdone pickles!

Boolit Buddy
    Harry Champion sings "A Little Bit of Cucumber"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvMFBQgkxrg

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    It is funny. I do not like cucumbers but I love pickles.
    Yep same here. Not a fan of the raw pickles

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I love fresh garden cukes! But will never buy store bought because they make me burp non stop! Somthing about growing your own fresh in the garden
    I also like using them to make "tzatziki sauce" It is a Greek sauce and it is fantastic on summer sandwiches and as a dip
    Mostly Mashed cucumber , Greek Yogurt and Garlic and Dill ( or Mint ...your prefence)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I love fresh cukes. The only fresh vegetable I might like more is peas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I have a brown thumb so I don't have a vegetable garden. A good friend of mine has given me cukes from his garden. I peel and slice them and eat some of the raw cucumber. The rest of the slice are covered in 50% vinegar and 50% watet mix with a very small amount of table sugar. Store in the fridge over night and then eat all of them before my wife finds them.

BB
    That is how my family has done cucumbers and onions for as long as I can remember, I prefer about 50/50 cukes to onions.
    Robert

Boolit Master
    As mentioned... I love pickles... I also love fermented cabbage...
    So, I picked up 2 sets of these for 1/2 gallon mason jars. Along with cumbers, we're also going to try asparagus, carrots, and anything else that we can find to ferment.

https://www.amazon.com/Fermentation-...dp/B075LRMRDQ/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast