Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Springfield 745B Ejector Issue. Any Suggestions?

Springfield 745B Ejector Issue. Any Suggestions?

****oops on the thread title typo. Its a 745B

One of my buddies came by last night and brought his Springfield 745B shotgun with him so we could take a look at it and see why it was having issues ejecting shells. The problem was pretty easy to spot. The ejector was sheared off! Obviously it cant eject shells without an ejector.

I was able to easily find a replacement ejector from Numrich. Which we will be ordering soon. But I have a couple of questions to make sure Im doing things right and not missing anything.

For the TL;DR people...old ejector is stuck in the barrel extension. And what is the proper installation method for a new ejector on a 745B?

This is the first time I have needed to work on any sort of A5 clone. From what I gather about the 745b is that this ejector is either a rivet type or press fit application. I cant actually confirm which type it is supposed to be.

So my first question is does anybody know if this is supposed to be press fit or riveted??

If it is supposed to be rivet fit then I would assume that the rear of the round stud that that goes through the barrel extension would be peened and then filed close to flush when installing a new ejector.

If it is supposed to be press fit then things should be fairly simple. Press old busted parts out and then press new parts in.

Now comes my other problem/question. I included some pictures to see what the consensus here is. When looking at the outside of the barrel extension the stud does not stick through, so I am thinking that this existing part could not have been riveted in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200725_184838.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	265270

When looking at the inside of the barrel extension it looks like it may have been either brazed or welded in. There was a buildup of what I thought was some crud, but it is actually metal. And it does look a bit like a small tig/mig weld. I tried heating it up a little with a propane torch to see if it would loosen things but nothing budged. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEIjpg.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	265269

Any suggestions on removing the old busted bits?? I was debating on carefully filing down most of whats stuck on the inside of the barrel extension and then seeing if I can punch out the remaining stuck stud from the outside.
    Last edited by skrapyard628; 07-25-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: oops...thread title typo

Boolit Master
    Looks like someone already went at it with a torch.
    Possibly this was damaged at the factory and they caught it before it left and did a poor job of trying to
    correct it, and shipped it anyway?

I have to agree that someone had to have given it a bit of torching. It was definitely brazed in there.

After about 5hrs of careful filing I was able to get it out and clean up the area enough that I should be able to install a new part. I didnt file things down all the way yet though because I want to make sure I dont go too far. I would rather fit the ejector to the barrel than the other way around.

The old stud that went through the barrel extension had to be drilled out. That sucker wouldnt move even when I threatened it with the 3lb hammer.

At least it wasnt too terrible of a job to do so far.

Time to order the replacement part and see how that installation goes.

I also wanted to ask....

If anyone has a Savage/Springfield 745B, can you please post a picture of the ejector on your gun?

It would definitely help me when sourcing/installing the new part. I searched a bit online but I cant seem to find any good pictures of it. Plenty of them for the Browning A5, but that assembly is a bit different than the 745. I want to try and compare a known correct part for this model gun before ordering the new part im looking at.