MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Lyman 4500 top punch needed

Boolit Mold

Lyman 4500 top punch needed

So I’ve searched and found a number of top punch charts but I have yet to find a clear answer. I just picked up a Lee 90364 and I need to get the correct top punch for my Lyman 4500. Anyone have this info ?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Any flat - round or Speer point top punch can be made for the caliber bullet by putting hot glue in the cavity - spit on the bullet and turn it in the cavity. Let dry and just razor cut the excess glue off the cavity rim. The same can be done with a seating die plug
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a cross reference chart that lists some of Lee's boolits in the latest Lyman cast bullet manual, not sure if it lists that one or not, and my book is in town right now.

I have used an inch long piece of 1/4" rod as a top punch to size a lot of Lee 312-185's with my RCBS lubamatic, should work okay in your 4500.

Good Luck,

Robert

Boolit Mold
    I don’t know why I missed the mold the first time I looked at that chart. Looks like #465 is what I need. Thanks

An 8 or a 402 will likely serve well. Pends on the size of the individual top punch and the bullets. Dimensions change slightly over manufacturing life.

I use a 402 for the 31141. I spun it in a drill and rounded the inside edge. Neither the 402 or the 8 works for my Lee 309-150-F. The 8 is sloppy and the 402 leaves a ring bout 1/4" down the nose. I ended up using a round nose top punch for it. It rounds the nose edge slightly but it centers perfectly. It is punch 374, I spun it in my drill and filed the bottom to shorten it because it was bottoming out on the top of the sizing die.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 07-25-2020 at 05:48 PM.