Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Introducing, the .27LR!!

Boolit Bub

Introducing, the .27LR!!

Ok so it's not really a new cartridge, it's just a severely downloaded .270win.

So I've got a .300 winmag for real serious targets and didn't want to put in the time to find a cast load for it when I already have a copper load doing over 3100fps shooting 1/2" @100yds. I already had some .270 dies and "needed" a gun to go with those dies. So I traded a Marlin .22 bolt action for a Savage 111 in .270.

I'm using Lee's 135gr .277" as cast and unchecked. My alloy is 3:1 WW:salvaged plumbing lead. I settled on this alloy when I was shooting SASS. It worked equally well for my .45Colt BP loads as it did for my 1400fps hunting loads. And if I keep everything the same I don't have to remember which is which!!

So, I have 2 loads, both of which are well below anything in a load manual. First, is 7gr of Unique under the 135 for 1150fps. Because Unique in large cases is position sensitive, I bought some Trail Boss to try. I started at 11gr and worked my way down. The best load I found with the TB was also 7gr. But the TB chrono'ed @ 1075fps. From the data I've looked at, this bullet at this velocity has about 50 more ft/lbs of energy than a .22Mag. It is nice to be able to to shoot the .270 without needing ear protection too.

I haven't recovered any game yet. Got some Muskrats in a farm pond that I've been looking for but haven't seen them when I had the .270 with me. I have shot at some turtles that have infested the pond but they don't come back up. I don't know if I'm hitting them and they are sinking or if I'm missing them and they are staying under. It's quite a challenge to hit a turtle's head from 50yds and the splashes are really impressive. I'm also hoping to call in a coyote for test media. No luck there yet either. I'll let you know when I have more "data".

CS

Boolit Bub
    Pics of bullets and loaded rounds: lubed with LLA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270 cast.jpg   27 mag.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Watching with interest.

Boolit Master
    Great idea! but I wouldn't really call that severely downloaded. I shoot subsonic loads from all my rifles including my M1 Garand in 30-06. How about a 200 grain lead bullet at 1050 fps from a Garand getting 2" groups at 100 yards?
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I don’t know about 270 but my axis 308 win likes .311 90 to 100 gr lee mold with 3.2 gr of bulseye. The lee 160 gr sized to .311 also with bulseye 5 to 7 gr works good also.

Boolit Master

Yep, yep, yep. In my 8mm ratty old turks I can regularly hit clay pigeon sized targets on the 100 yd berm with the lee 175 gr boolit and a moderate charge of unique or accurate #5 which I am about out of. I am going to branch out and use up some of the Herco That I have lots of. I have to set the rear sight at 300 meters to get on target at 100 yds and I am firing from a bench rest.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Great idea! but I wouldn't really call that severely downloaded.
    Well, I did try as far down as 5gr of Trail Boss which yielded a decent group also and just 885fps!! IS that "severe" enough? The only thing that worried me about that load is that the temperature on test day was 95 and I'm afraid they may not make it out the barrel in the winter.

CS

carolina sorillo,
    Read your post with great interest.
    For something to experiment with I've been plotting on a rifle to use a rimmed 6.8 (30-30 brass and 6.8SPC dies).
    Looked up the Savage 111 to see what twist it has; their web site says one turn in 9 1/2". I've been wondering what kind of barrel might be best but have little info on line with actual experience.
    Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    In my 8mm ratty old turks I can regularly hit clay pigeon sized targets on the 100 yd berm with the lee 175 gr boolit and a moderate charge of unique or accurate #5 which I am about out of. I am going to branch out and use up some of the Herco That I have lots of. I have to set the rear sight at 300 meters to get on target at 100 yds and I am firing from a bench rest.
    I haven't tried any distance yet. I have hit a couple turtles from about 50yds. The data I've looked at says, at my current setting, I'll run out of mildots around 200yds.

CS

Heh, if I run upon a Browning lever gun in .270 I know now to pay attention.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina sorillo View Post
    Well, I did try as far down as 5gr of Trail Boss which yielded a decent group also and just 885fps!! IS that "severe" enough? The only thing that worried me about that load is that the temperature on test day was 95 and I'm afraid they may not make it out the barrel in the winter.

CS
    That, I agree is pretty well downloaded!
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    My old Mod. 70 also like that Lee 270 boolit downloaded. While it did shoot subsonic loads pretty well, I chose a slightly hotter load with the gas check good out to the farthest I will shoot at a coyote with the iron sights, about 125 yards (my eyes aren't what they used to be). The MV is 1280 fps using a 9.3 gr Red Dot load. Nothing wrong with Alox lube. It is simple, easy, and cheap and for me has been just as accurate as any other I have tried. Simple is good!
    Last edited by quilbilly; 07-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Banned
    So,
    Like after reading the heading for the post I was intrigued. Thinking maybe someone was making a 27 caliber rim fire round. The 17 WSM is a rim fire round based on the 27 caliber nail gun cartridge. A straight walled 27 caliber would not be that hard to make.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    So,
    Like after reading the heading for the post I was intrigued. Thinking maybe someone was making a 27 caliber rim fire round. The 17 WSM is a rim fire round based on the 27 caliber nail gun cartridge. A straight walled 27 caliber would not be that hard to make.
    I titled it like that on purpose to bait in unsuspecting folks.

CS

Boolit Bub
    I stretched the .27LR out a little this morning. I have a couple of the Champion diamond shaped resetting .22 targets. They are 2.5" wide and 8" tall. I set one up at 100yards and the other at 150. I was only able to make a couple hits on the one at 150 but, I was able to connect at 100yds fairly regular. My mil-dot scope is zeroed at 50yds. So, I held 1.5mils high to connect at 100yds and 3.5mils high for 150yds. My ballistics calculator says at 150yds its only slowed to about 1010fps and that was still enough power to bend the steel targets. I believe it'll still have enough power for coyote sized game at that distance. Should the opportunity arise.

CS