RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have become a mould hoarder

I have become a mould hoarder

Last night I did my annual love fest with my mould collection. I usually go through them annually one at a time for inspection and fondling.
    I unwrap them, inspect them, then spray them with WD40 and rewrap the mould in a plastic shopping bag and tape it shut. The handles are hanging out of the wrapped mould. No need to wrap them. I store them Tupperware airtight bins under the bench.
    I mark what the mould is on the tape so I know what is in there.
    I do this annually or so just to make sure all is well.
    I have way too many moulds, and duplicates of some.
    Somehow I came up with 3 H&G #130's - 2 4 cavity and 1 8 cavity.
    I found 2 H&G GC #45's 4 cavity.
    I found a Lyman 358156 gc 4 cavity.
    I even found an H&G 34 rb mould.
    There are 4 SAECO moulds - 2 for 45 auto and 1 each for 357 and 44.
    I already use the H&G #51 and the #503 as my go to for 38/357 and 44.
    There are Lyman Devastator HP moulds, and single cavity moulds that I guess I was going to HP some day.
    i absolutely love the H&G's and been collecting and using them for 40 years.....but man, when you have 3 of the same mould something is wrong.
    Every year when I do this i tell myself I need to thin the herd.....but I just can't bring myself to do it because " I might like to use that some day". Some of these moulds I have no idea where i got them or how much I paid for them.
    I really think that is the motivation for a hoarder...."I might use that some day".
    How many of you are the same way?
    How do you finally convince yourself to thin the herd?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Yes, things from jars of screws to scraps of leather. Every now and then I have a purge. Same with tools except that I will replace or upgrade sometimes and don’t keep the old one unless it’s a screwdriver or wrench that I might need to grind for a specific task in the future. Molds, brass in calibers I don’t shoot, that stuff I hang onto until I happen to be in the right mood and someone mentions that they need it, then I give it away.

If wd40 is working for you then no real reason to change, but boeshield t9 is a far better protectant.

Boolit Master
    I don't trust wd40, started using mineral oil. I have some boeshield...or it's new name is Sheath?

Boolit Master

if you are not tripping over them and they are not costing anything to store than its not hording, I run a borderline operation here.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I don't have many duplicates . I do have several that are all the rage that I will probably never use as a permanent solution . I have more 38/357 SWC than I should , 5 at last count I think .......that nasty cheap 358-158 RNFP Lee does all I could ask for and takes up less case space ..... but you never know a guy might "need" a 358477 and 446 or a flush and nose out WC for something . They do make a nice squirrel slayer loads in a 358 , it's not like 200,228,234,or 250 wouldn't do the job .
    My 45s are just as bad , funny you should mention an 8C #130 mine runs 196 gr , 45-200 , at least 4 250-265s , .453-350 , 457-340 , 385 , 3@405ish , 500 , and 535 . It's only weird because I don't have a 230 but I do have a pending arrangement for a 454424 HP ...... Which I should be able to get down to 230 no problem .

I must have 6-7 7mm 130s and 3-4 270s in the same class 1 of which is an obscure Cramer B4 that in sequence should have been a 280-150 and instead is a 286-130 . There's that 7mm-168 that is exactly useless to me because the nose won't chamber in a 270 but rattles around loose in all of the 7mms . It's on the list for the .272-278 nose ream/lap list of things to do one day .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Has someone at the house been trying to make you feel guilty? You only have 5 38 moulds and your freaking out? Chill out brother and realize that you barely have enough moulds to get by.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    No just 5 different 38/357 SWC in the 150-158 range , 3 WC 2@148 +1@161 , RNFPs in 95 , 125 ,158 , 2@ 358-200 6C and several more up to 290? it might be a 300 gr . Without grabbing the book I can't remember ...... Easily 1/3 of the total count are 35&45 cal moulds 74 I think was the last count .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for clearing that up. There is nothing to worry about here.

Banned
    To me the term "hoarding" applies to collecting items of no value or to collecting a number of items far beyond a reasonable amount.
    Keeping yesterday's newspaper to start a fire in a wood stove is not hoarding. Keeping every newspaper you ever purchased, is hoarding.
    Washing and storing a few glass jars with lids for future use is not hoarding. Washing and storing every glass jar you ever acquired, is a problem.

A bullet mold is a tool and one that has a long lifespan. They are useful devices and, if cared for, will last a lifetime.
    Having some duplicates of a tool is not only normal, it is desirable. Two is one and one is none.

So if you have a half a dozen 9/16" sockets, that's probably desirable (anyone that's ever rebuilt a Chevy small block knows that three quarters of that engine is held together with 9/16" fasteners). If you have two hundred 9/16" sockets, and you're not tool salesman......you should probably get some mental health counseling.

Boolit Master

Fish4bugs, I feel your pain! Send me any mold that you have been hoarding, I will store them for you, so you won't feel so guilty! I will take good care of them, and I will send you pictures once a year, just so you can stay in touch with them!

You guys are making me feel better! Don't know if you have helped the OP, but I am more relaxed now. My problem area is old Lyman/Ideal designs as I can find them and and new MP brass molds as he produces them - I can't seem to order just one, because I remember what it was like when I started casting and couldn't get the mold options we have today.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Fish4bugs ... keep working on your ‘hoarding’. I have over 200 molds for calibers starting with 22 LR up to 45-90 and many metrics. Many caliber duplicates for different bullets of the same caliber. Every mold is on a spreadsheet with corresponding value ... be surprised the values add up. I’ve done the same for all my dies, presses, powder chargers, reload inventory, naked bullets, powders and 1700 lbs of varied alloy lead. Purpose, I’m 77 and when I die, the estate will have the values including inventoried firearms so when sold the proceeds will put my granddaughters through college and also have left overs for their wedding dowries
    Regards
    John

Yes but.......a couple of things....
    I have been using WD40 for well into 40 years for mould storage. Never had one rust on me.
    My habit of buying moulds is so bad, I bought a 6 cavity #258 41 mag 220 gr swc in great condition. I paid a premium for the condition.
    Nothing weird about that except I don't own a 41 mag gun.
    I just got a LatheSmith 41 sizer die so now I can cast and size/lube but not use them.
    At least I can hoard it along with the rest of them.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ATF fluid or Eezox will prevent any mold from rusting
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Yes but.......a couple of things....
    I have been using WD40 for well into 40 years for mould storage. Never had one rust on me.
    My habit of buying moulds is so bad, I bought a 6 cavity #258 41 mag 220 gr swc in great condition. I paid a premium for the condition.
    Nothing weird about that except I don't own a 41 mag gun.
    I just got a LatheSmith 41 sizer die so now I can cast and size/lube but not use them.
    At least I can hoard it along with the rest of them.
    What you're saying is that you like to have all the stuff you need to reload for a caliber so when you do get the gun, you have what you need. Nothing wrong with that! That's my story...

Boolit Buddy
    My LGS had about 15 old Ideal,Cramer,Lachmiller,Ideal molds with handles for $30 each. Well, I bought 10 of them! I now have over 40 molds. I'm not a hoarder I'm a Collector! I'll probably cast a bunch then clean and store them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    What you're saying is that you like to have all the stuff you need to reload for a caliber so when you do get the gun, you have what you need. Nothing wrong with that! That's my story...
    My gunsmith has 1000 41 mag brass that he would trade for a bunch of #503's.
    I don't even own a 41 mag but it is tempting.
    Then....JUST IN CASE, I find a Smith 57 or 58 I would have everything I need.
    yeah....sure.....now THAT is a good reason to buy a gun, right?

Three of the wife & I's four parents were hoarders of all manner of 'useful things'.
    After making 3 houses full of 'stuff' go away- which included everything from their parents and their houses-
    we decided our heirs were not going to have to deal with all that.

We've pared ourselves down to what we actually use and enjoy.
    The kids who aren't shooters, but think they're going to inherit a big weapons collection are in for a big surprise.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Every 4 or 5 years I take the ones not in use to the sale barn.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

At a Gun Show a few years back I bought an MTM 100 rd box for 44Mag/45Colt, just for the color - Tan.
    It had 100 R-P .41Mag cases in it.
    I haven't had a .41Mag in 30yrs.

And I have a fair number of 2cav
    & 4cav Lyman/Ideal molds for the same bullet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast