Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: The Bolt Gun

Boolit Master

The Bolt Gun

For the last few years I've used a semi auto gas gun. Mossberg 930. I spent a lot of time in the 70's carrying a bolt action Mossberg. It had a C-Lect choke affair on the end of the barrel and you could tune it in pretty nicely for the Remington 4 buck loads I Coyote hunted with. Anybody out there use one now? I'm thinking I need to watch the Gun Shows for one. What were the tube fed models? The one I used had a 2 shot detachable box magazine

Boolit Grand Master

I got a C-Lect on one of my 500 barrels, and I love it. Bolt action shotguns though? Hate them. I HATE bolt actions regardless! Way too combersome and unreliable to ever buy another. One of the first guns I ever shot was my dads .410 bolt action Mossberg, also with an adjustable choke, although I believe it was a cutts. Fond memories, but what a turd of a gun. Ended up owning a few others over time, all handled like a broom stick, none of them reliable. Last one I owned was a Marlin super goose 10 gauge. Handled like a 2x4, and again horrendously unreliable. Now I have considered something like a Savage 220 slug gun, but again they are plagued with extraction problems. I've never heard of a tube fed bolt, all I've owned or seen have been box magazines, some detatched, some not.

Want cheap, just watch used and often the cheapest are single shots like H&R and NEF, which are extremely reliable, and handle great. You can put an adjustable choke on most any shotgun. I find them phenomenal in use, and they are turning up on more and more of my shotguns. The key is don't out think it. Pick a setting for how you are hunting that day, and forget it. Don't try to change it for every bird.

Banned
    I have a tube fed 16 ga bolt. I think it is a Ward's or something like that. They are about the cheapest shotguns on the market. Cheaper than single shot's. I got mine when I was a teen... was given to me. I butchered it up to make a slug gun out of it. It is so messed up now I don't even shoot it any more. But it was a usable gun if you had nothing else.

My step dad has a mossberg bolt action 20 gauge with c-lect choke and 2 shot mag. Been in his family for quite sometime and none of the blood family really wants it. Would love if it came to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I actually like poly chokes, especially on nice vintage guns! I don’t find a problem with them, I really don’t even see it when shooting and most people hate them so bad that they really bring the price down
    Actually work great, but like mega said, set it and leave it alone or you’ll drive yourself crazy with doubt and lack of confidence. I have one on a WS1 M12, truth is it stays on M 90% of the time. Thing is I can crank it open for those in your face stations, and tighten it a fit to shoot the occasional round of trap. As far as bolt action shotguns, I will be happy to let you have first dibs on any I come across! I am a wing shooter and they do not handle like a shotgun. I had a 410 mossberg as a kid, will never own another, of either. If you shoot slugs or use it like a rifle for turkeys or carnitas they are as good as a break open single. Dad had a box mag 16 ga, never say it cleanly feed a 2nd shell, so a tube version might feed better. My experience is that an ejector equipped break barrel is faster on the 2nd shot. If they call to you, go for it , I have affections for things others don’t like as well. That’s what keeps things interesting!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I used to have a JC Higgins bolt action shotgun that had been cut down for a slug gun before I got it. It had a tube magazine and looked like a bolt action .22 on steroids! I wish I had never sold it and really don't know why I did.

Never had a C-lect or Poly choke but did have a Powr-Pac choke that was similar to the Cutts but the choke tubes looked more like modern choke tubes and extend down into the muzzle brake to about 1/4" in front of the muzzle. They came with a variety of restrictions like modern choke tubes. I thought it was a good system and wonder why MFG's went to the reamed and tapped barrels. I have to admit they work but they do seem to leave a very thin barrel. The Cutts and Powr-Pacs leave full thickness barrel and aren't in my opinion unsightly but that's just me. I guess things change and progress... things other than me anyway.

Hah! A friend of mine had a Poly Choke on his "do it all" gun and forgot to open it up when shooting a full bore round ball through the gun. That ball took the choke with it but he saw where it went down range and went and got it. He silver soldered it back on the gun seemingly with no damage done. That should be an endorsement for Poly Choke if they are that tough!

Yeah I don't think I'd want to wing shoot with a bolt action but they do fine for slug guns.

A friend has a couple old bolt action Mossbergs I've been eyeballing for slug guns. We'll see!

Longbow

I have never had a Problem with the looks of a Cutts Compensator. I think they look cool!

They work really well and decrease recoil dramatically. This one has all the choke tubes and the Wrench. Still looking for the Wood Box

I also have an A5 barrel with one on it.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-26-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I would bet this one is close to what you had
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875048797

Fun looking below

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/mossbe...OqXhbL9Jm.html

At the 4:50 minute point he talks about the choke

https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Actio...13&PageSize=24
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-26-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

That gun actually has a rear sight? It could be made into a decent slug gun. I don't know if Mossberg welded the mag in, or a previous owner did it to keep it in place, maybe to fix a feeding issue?

The wood would refinish up nice.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    That gun actually has a rear sight? It could be made into a decent slug gun. I don't know if Mossberg welded the mag in, or a previous owner did it to keep it in place, maybe to fix a feeding issue?

The wood would refinish up nice.

Randy
    My Marlin super goose 10 had a "sight" like that on it. It shot POA when you lined the bead up with the top of it. I'm guessing it was just the cheap way to get them to shoot straight, rather than a vent rib, or some other method. Of course you could file a V into it, and make it a sight too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I used to have a JC Higgins bolt action shotgun that had been cut down for a slug gun before I got it. It had a tube magazine and looked like a bolt action .22 on steroids! I wish I had never sold it and really don't know why I did.

Never had a C-lect or Poly choke but did have a Powr-Pac choke that was similar to the Cutts but the choke tubes looked more like modern choke tubes and extend down into the muzzle brake to about 1/4" in front of the muzzle. They came with a variety of restrictions like modern choke tubes. I thought it was a good system and wonder why MFG's went to the reamed and tapped barrels. I have to admit they work but they do seem to leave a very thin barrel. The Cutts and Powr-Pacs leave full thickness barrel and aren't in my opinion unsightly but that's just me. I guess things change and progress... things other than me anyway.

Hah! A friend of mine had a Poly Choke on his "do it all" gun and forgot to open it up when shooting a full bore round ball through the gun. That ball took the choke with it but he saw where it went down range and went and got it. He silver soldered it back on the gun seemingly with no damage done. That should be an endorsement for Poly Choke if they are that tough!

Yeah I don't think I'd want to wing shoot with a bolt action but they do fine for slug guns.

A friend has a couple old bolt action Mossbergs I've been eyeballing for slug guns. We'll see!

Longbow
    I got my Dad's ... he bought it in 1946 after getting out the Navy , hunted his entire life with it...small game , game birds , big game , water fowl (ducks & geese) , turkey and predators ... it was the only long arm he ever owned ...just that 16 ga. J.C.Higgens bolt action .
    It must be a heck of a good shotgun ... because Dad never bought another ... Once I asked him why he didn't get a new one and he looked at it and said
    " This one suits me just fine ."
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"