Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Lyman D7 scale?

Boolit Master

Lyman D7 scale?

How good were the Lyman D7 scales?
    Thanks for any info.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I have one I bought in the mid 70s since I bought it I have had a rcbs and one of the older Lee beam scales they were all accurate but neither would respond and settle down as well as the D7 I go back to the D7 I like the the fact that you can turn the knob and lift the beam when not in use and I like the scale lines on the body at the beam pointer and it has good magnetic dampening and I was looking at used ones on line they look like a bargain.
    I have a set of the RCBS check weights I just checked the D7 yesterday it was dead on at 5 , 10 , 20 and 50 grains that covers the range I use it for I call that great service from a tool that is 45 years old .I have 2 inexpensive electronic scales that inspired me to get a full set of check weights the D7 is always on
    I am sure there are better beam scales but not sure how they are any better for reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    The old Lyman D7 and the similar D500 were simple, reliable two poise scales. By many considered to be slightly inferior to the contemporary RCBS 502 and usually considerably cheaper to buy.
    The RCBS 502 and the rest of the common RCBS range had the "benefit" of the floating agate bearing system.
    The D7 had rather mean little knife edges and fixed agate bearings, however I have always found the older metal bodied simple Lyman scales to work well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    The old Lyman D7 and the similar D500 were simple, reliable two poise scales. By many considered to be slightly inferior to the contemporary RCBS 502 and usually considerably cheaper to buy.
    The RCBS 502 and the rest of the common RCBS range had the "benefit" of the floating agate bearing system.
    The D7 had rather mean little knife edges and fixed agate bearings, however I have always found the older metal bodied simple Lyman scales to work well.
    Thanks for the information I am sure they were on the cheap end at the time I was poor newly wed motorcycle mechanic With a baby on the the way . I bought it a lyman 55 and a pacific press at the same time big bucks at the time for me I still have all of that equipment and it still makes ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    ... I bought it a lyman 55 and a pacific press at the same time big bucks at the time for me I still have all of that equipment and it still makes ammo.
    Yeah, that's normal. You bought good stuff.

I often chuckle when I read some web wannabe guru advising new guys to buy expensive tools because they will "last a lifetime". That's generally true of course but then I don't know of many common reloading tools that won't last a lifetime - and usually much more - if used correctly and taken care of.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    My first powder scale was an Lyman/Ohaus model 500. The 500 was a D-7 without the knob that raises the beam off the bearings. It was as accurate as my 505, and 5-10. I trust ANY scale designed by Ohaus.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Well, I've got a D7 coming.... Guess we'll see how accurate it is
    when it gets here.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I had complete confidence in my D7 until I bought a digital and then another digital was given to me .
    Previous to getting the digital I compared my scales with the Lee and Rcbs I had and all matched but the Lee and RCBS I gave away and when I would try to check the D7 against the digital scales I would often wind up with 3 different weights . So I bought the RCBS check weight set both the digital were flakey and impossible to trickle with the D7 was on every time.
    A lot of peace of mind in a check weight set.

Boolit Master

Yea, I don't have much faith in digital scales.... to many things cause them to be
    inaccurate. I have one that can't give the same weight twice in a row.
    Denny

Boolit Master

The first scale I bought was a D-7. I have several now but that old '72 model D-7 is still in use.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

My first scale I got ion 1978 was the D7. I wish I still had it.
    I like the knob to lift the beam off the bearings. I think this takes the stress of the knife edge. I think this may keep the knife edge in good shape. Thus should prolong the life of the scale.
    I have a Lee scale and a Lyman 1000. Very similar to the D7. No knob and has the weight to hang on the beam to weigh from 500 grs to 1000 grs.
    They are both very accurate according to my scale check set.
    Very sensitive also. Using a large kernel powder like 4350 the beam deflects with just one kernel of powder. On smaller kernel powders it takes several kernels to deflect the beam.
    On the Lee the only thing I don't like is that it can't weigh things over 100 grs. Fine for powder but not for boolits.
    I can't see needing one more expensive.
    I have a couple of digital scales, one real cheapie, I wouldn't even use it for sorting my cast bullets. The more expensive one reads to .01 grs. I'll sort boolits with it but not weigh powder with it.
    I just can't trust a digital at the price I can afford. The difference in price I can weigh a lot of powder on my beam scales.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Well, I got the Lyman D7 scale and it is dead nuts accurate.
    It's really small compared to my Pacific/Hornady scale, and
    a lot lighter in weight. I think I'll stick to my Pacific.
    Denny