WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Review of Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets by Veral Smith

Review of Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets by Veral Smith

I recently purchased a secondhand copy of Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets by Veral Smith, 3rd edition. I promptly dug into it and am only a few pages shy of it's finish. There is some very interesting things in there.

One of which is that cast bullets seated with the first driving band below the neck of a bottle necked cartridge might be subject to base slump or obturation in the case.

Another is that gas checks need a space between their top and the bottom of the next driving band for lead shavings to collect. And that gas checked bullets lower pressure due to controlling obturation, thus reducing friction. I knew that gas checks reduced pressure, but I hadn't figured out why.

Friction is a product of both obturation and lube function, and when the lube reaches its limit friction increases because the lube stops coating the bullet body, and thus increases pressure and this is where leading occurs (at the velocity/pressure limit).

A little tidbit that will help me, filing a vertical vent line between the mould cavities to help venting of the second bullet after you've filled the first cavity. Often I've fought pour fillout in that second cavity and while I haven't had a chance to try it yet, I expect this to alleviate that nuisance.

Many of the things I learned, were things I knew, or suspected, from my own experiences but it was explained as to the why.

Overall I think it is a very worthwhile book to read and the knowledge contained therein will improve anyone's bullet making.

Bazoo
    Last edited by Bazoo; 07-23-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Agreed, very informative book. And darnit, I lost my copy.

Boolit Grand Master

"Another is that gas checks need a space between their top and the bottom of the next driving band for lead shavings to collect. And that gas checked bullets lower pressure due to controlling obturation, thus reducing friction. I knew that gas checks reduced pressure, but I hadn't figured out why.

Friction is a product of both obturation and lube function, and when the lube reaches its limit friction increases because the lube stops coating the bullet body, and thus increases pressure and this is where leading occurs (at the velocity/pressure limit)."

Another well thought of theory, especially that in bold, by a well respected writer. However, in my lengthy testing over the last 14 years measuring pressures I have not been able to substantiate this theory. In fact I have many examples of nor difference in in pressure between a GC'd and the same bullet w/o the GC or even the reverse of the theory. The same holds with the theory that a cast bullet of the same weight/load as a jacketed bullet will give higher pressure or lower pressure [depending on who is hypothesizing].

I was of the same thinking for many years because that's what I read from all the expert writers. Then when I actually was able to measure pressures this theory and others have re-educated me. It is sometimes disheartening when actual test results disprove theories and opinions, no matter how meaning or thought out they may be. Many, many times what we think should be just isn't.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Like Veral and his ideas, would like to see a book about Guy Loverin and his ideas...would likely be similar! Is Veral still with us?

If anyone knows Veral to speak to, ask him if I can buy the reprint rights to his book, please. Writing has yielded no response.

Boolit Master
    Most all of the LBT molds that I have throw out great and very accurate boolits, I cannot say the same about the Loverin designs, I have some but don't get along with them when shooting for groups./