RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: I am liking my 88 Commision/Turkish.

Boolit Buddy

I am liking my 88 Commision/Turkish.

[IMG][/IMG]

I bought a decent 88 Commision reworked Turkish in about 2010 from a friend. Shot it a few times and put it away. Last time I shot it was probably 6 years ago.

I was moving stuff around in the safe and remembered what a nice handling rifle it was. So on a whim I loaded some rounds for the old girl. 175 grain RCBS cast bullets w/ lube and gas check. WLR primers. IMR-4227 powder. Five rounds w/ 16 grains, 16.5, 17, and then 18 grains. Even w/ the pretty crappy military pyramid sights I was impressed w/ the 16.5 grain group.

It was about 91 degrees w/ range facing west and a decent wind blowing to the northwest.

I am looking forward to working w/ this rifle!!!
    Last edited by M1fuzz; 07-23-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good I like mine too! A little more information will gather more interest, maybe your load and range, keep up the good work. Maybe some pictures of the rifle too.
    Last edited by swheeler; 07-24-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    Charter Member #148

They really are neat old rifles. I have several, as they're kind of addictive. Great cast boolit shooters. Surprisingly accurate. Do you have a clip for yours, or is it the 88/05 version that doesn't need one? The original clips are hard to find, and I was offered one a couple of months ago for $25! Without them the earlier models are single shot rifles. Somebody made up a run of replicas a few years back. They looked great, and I bought several, but they don't work.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe it is the 88/05 when the pressed in stripper clip guide. I wish I could find a clip or two. I would take off the “cap” they put on the bottom of the mag. I always thought it was cool when you chambered that last round in a Carcano or M95 and that clip goes “pinging” out of the bottom.

I know exactly what you mean, about the clip going out the bottom being neat. It is an odd thing, really, that the original clips are so scarce, and the fact that they drop out the bottom is probably the reason. They must have made millions of them, and I guess most of them were considered expendable and got lost in the mud or tall grass. I think I said this once before in another thread, but I'm really glad that they made millions of M1 Garand clips as they're still readily obtainable, although the prices have climbed from what used to be 5 cents each to sometimes a dollar. If you've got the 88/05 then you're in business. All of mine are either the straight 88 model requiring a clip or have the modification to the magazine by having a clip-on sheet metal cover on the bottom to prevent clip loss. I am currently building a "dream" 88/05, consisting of an 88/05 receiver and a Turk barrel, nice walnut stock in better than usual condition. Anyway, if you ever do go to the original configuration using one of those hard to find original clips, be sure to put a strip of duct tape across the hole on the bottom!

Boolit Master
    Here's my '88. At least I think it is an '88, modified a little or is it a commercial version?? Either way, I like it. Only fired it a few times, as a single shot. I like it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66a.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	265219

Boolit Buddy
    That is a nice old sporter.

That really is nice, Rusty. Love the set triggers. Stock nicely done. Schilling is one of the makers I don't have in my collection. I've got Loewe, Amberg, Danzig, Steyr, and a couple more that escape me now. Yours shows that old world, old time craftsmanship.

Super Moderator

...............I have one of those I had an 01 FFL for close to 20 years, but I sure don't recall where I got it or how much it was.

It IS a very fine shooter, and the thing weighs a freaking ton.

It has the altered magazine whereby you may load it just like a Mauser, and no clip required. It has the 'Clip Slots' brazed to the top of the action behind the mag well.

In order for it to function the spring steel mag cover is definitely required.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Nice rifle, Buckshot. Just about the last step in 88 evolution. Does yours have Turk markings? Usually when the barrel jacket is gone and the clip feeding system in place they were "Turked".

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice Buckshot. At the same time they blocked the bottom of the trigger guard, added stripper clip rails and machined the receiver left bank for the cartridge interrupter, "mo modern'

edit: and they added sides to the trigger guard/magazine too
    Last edited by swheeler; 07-26-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add info
    Charter Member #148

Super Moderator

Yup, Turk markings. swheeler, yes, has a spring loaded 'rail' added to the left receiver rail to hold the rounds on top of the follower.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

And the one I've got rivals the Krag for smooth. An 88 rebarreled to 7mm mauser looking like Rusty Reels rifle could easily be my "dream rifle", now I would have to scope it but a tiny 1-4x Leupold would look fine on it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 88 back in the mid 70's from a magazine ad...can't remember if it was $29 or $39...good shooter...still have it

Boolit Mold
    The magazine bottom cover was not done with the 1905 modification . It was done in 1914 . It is Not needed for the rifle to function . The guides are Not brazed on , brazing is brass and there is no brass there .

There were a couple (maybe three) different versions of the charger guides.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Gew 88/05 and it shoots jacketed bullets extremely well. Hornady .321dia. intended for .32Special or even regular .323" dia , light loads

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    There were a couple (maybe three) different versions of the charger guides.
    There was only one used on the 05 conversion , which is all the rifles shown . There was a different type used on the rare 14 conversion . Neither used brass .

Boolit Master

I too have a Turkish 88. I use the Lee 8mm mold and it shoots extremely well. Its very pleasant too.