Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 in 270

Boolit Buddy

308 in 270

well last year my buddy got in a hurry at the range and drop a 308 win in his 270. I have gotten the head of the brass out then the body but the neck is till in the chamber any ideas on how to get it out. I have been thinking of soaking using hoppes number 9.
    thanks rrh

.30 caliber copper brush on a cleaning rod, also have used bore snakes. Insert from the muzzle end first.

Boolit Master
    Try dribbling a bit of Kroil penetrating oil in the muzzle so it loosens the case neck in the chamber. If the bore brush doesn't work, the Kroil will help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ouch. What happened to the bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    I can get the bolt closed with a case resized to 2.545. maybe I should make a dummy round and see if it will chamber. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200723_13_24_46_Pro.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	265146

Boolit Buddy
    my buddy said it hit the target, the rifle is a tikka t3x. he said gases went every where and it destroyed his magazine here is a pic of the brass.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	265147
    Last edited by redriverhunter; 07-23-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: cant spell

He is pretty darned lucky to still have all his body parts! After a range session where I was shooting a 7mm mag and a 280 Rem, both Ruger 77's, where I dropped a 280 in the 7mag and shot it, I dont have any other ammo on the bench except what gun I am using at THAT time. BTW, that 280 round went smack into the middle of the 7mag group. Since I realized that I was subject to making distracted mistakes, I don't have any other powder on the bench top except the one I am loading.
    Your situation is worse than mine in that the neck is??? That's a tribute to the T3 for not becoming a fragment grenade.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Looks to me the case neck of the 308 is still attached to the case. It expanded into the body of the 270 chamber just below the shoulder. Measure the blown case length, bet it’s close tow full 308 length. Strong, well designed and built rifle! I wonder what these new accurate but cheap rifles would have fared??
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    rking22 thanks I was looking for what was not there LOL. The case measures now 2.030. my manual shows a max of 2.015 for 308. thanks for all the help. I am going to run some patches down now see if I can fell any change as it goes down the barrel. he said ripped the extractor off.

Boolit Master
    Glad no one was hurt, that extractor is probably in lo orbit! The throat may be really copper Fowler but suspect the bore to be ok. Keep us updated, please, good info for everyone.
    A .30 bullet sized down to .27 is a pretty drastic resize!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I can get the bolt closed with a case resized to 2.545. maybe I should make a dummy round and see if it will chamber. Click image for larger version. 

To me that looks like there is a 'ring' of material stuck in the neck before the throat. Based on what happened I would guess that is bullet jacket material and/or lead. If a full length case will not chamber then that material needs to be removed before proceeding. I would probably try some ammonia, Sweet's, or Hoppe's soaked in for a bit and see if that ring loosens a bit.

Boolit Master
    A friend did that and the rifle shattered, he almost lost his eye.

Sounds like you're lucky

An ex bro- in law fired a .243 from his .270 in a distracted moment. The neck stayed on the bullet and both landed in the group together; .270 size. The case was ejected and it had no neck. It did sound different!

Boolit Master
    Lots less pressure generated to bump up that .24 to .27 than squeezing down that .30 to .27! Not a good way to fireform straight walls, but , well

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post

The pressure would have been high enough to pressure weld brass to steel. At a minimum I would have the bolt magnfluxed and pull the barrel to check for bolt lug setback in the receiver. Better yet send it to the manufacturer for inspection.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Run cleaning rod with patch in from muzzle stopping just short of the throat. pour molten lead in chamber enough to fill neck area and about half of chamber. push cleaning rod rest of way thru the bore. I don't know if I would ever trust the rifle enough to shoot it again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would make sure that action can never be used again. Guns are cheap IMHO.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I’m going to show my ignorance here...
    How does this work in a push feed action? I don’t know Tikkas but in a Remington the ejector is always pushing the case away from the bolt until it runs out of room and pops behind the extractor. With a 308 in a 270 it seems like it would never pop behind the extractor to be held in place for the firing pin strike. What am I missing?

Boolit Master
    30 caliber bullet locked against the shoulder of the longer 270 chamber to hold it against the bolt face.
    I would send it back to Tikka for evaluation. Great that it held, but that doesn’t mean it did not receive fatal damage while saving the human from serious damage. Stress fractures can be invisible to the eye, mangaflux or dyepenta check are not found in most local shops.

Boolit Master
    > What am I missing?
    At the distance up on the cartridge that the 308 has its shoulder, the 308 is wider than a 270.
    a 270 is basically a necked down 30-06.
    Thus the 308 wedges in the chamber before going all the way forward, and the rim and correctly engage the bolt face
    and this the FP can strike the primer.
    a 308 can fire in a 30-06 the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast